Waves Codex Wavetable Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth

PatchAdamz wrote: This post was not directed to you.
Just wanted Codex users to know, importing WAV files is simple.
It does not require any external software and CODEX supports WAV files of any length, bit-depth and sampling frequency.

Beginner and Intermediate users may get thrown off by all they extraneous information.
Really, the best way to import WAVs into Codex, is the most simple due to the internal ability Codex has to process the single as best as possible.
What i posted is related to do custom wavetables (comparable to the factory wavetables) in the free Audio Term wavetable editor where you could do them based on existing single cycles or with the built-in waveform editor, comparable to the wavetable editor in e.g. Serum. I even added a download for a wavetable i created that way. The amount of waveforms, the waveform size and the file format are identical to the factory wavetables. Other formats could work but it is not sure they work properly in terms of importing single waveforms as intended.
With the format i mentioned it also doesn't really matter how many custom waveforms i use as Audio Term could add the rest of the 64 waveforms by interpolation.

This is not the same as just importing a "normal" sample like like you are proposing. In the manual the recommended size for importing (resynthesis) a sample seems to be between 2 and 5 seconds.
Anyway this is different to importimg a wavetable that was built "from scratch" using single waveforms.

The wavetable editor in Serum seems to be the most important feature there for some people and doing comparable things with Codex, even if done with an external tool seems to be important informations IMO.

For those who still not know about Audio Term here is the corresponding thread (i also aded my current procedure posted here there):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=334828
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I just checked again if the size of the single waveforms does matter for the imported result or not.
In my example posted above i used 512 samples for a single waveform (like in the factory wavetables) and now i tried the same with 2048 samples.

Here is a screenshot in Codeex using the wavetable with 512 samples for each wave (left) and with 2048 samples for one waveform (right):

You could see that it looks different and when scanning trough the table it also sound different.
THe right one looks like it uses around the half of the "mirrored" waveforms at the left which could be useful too but sound wise is not identical. When i set the pitch of the right one an octave higher the sound is closer but misses some additional harmonics of the left one.

Of course Codex seems to be able to import almost any WAV file in some way but in some cases like this it is important that it is imported properly.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

biomuse wrote:Well, after my above supportive impression of Codex, i have to withdraw it. Codex apparently won't work, and isn't supported to work, in DP. I asked for and received a prompt and courteous refund from Waves Universe.

I usually like Waves' stuff but, man, this is a serious oversight. What a shame.

Looks like another Serum user is born (unless some other next gen wavetabler comes out and/or Ingo spills the beans on what he's beta testing before the promo period ends)...
Hm. What version of DP do you run?

I just played and recorded Codex in DP 7.2.4, OS 10.8.5. No problems there. I don't know about DP 8, though.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

How can I copy from OSC1 to OSC2 ?
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Codex is a dud if there ever was one. IMHO, of course.

I've been running through most of the factory presets and another, commercial bank. Half of the patches sound like an accordion under a blanket, smothered in chorus, delays and verb, and the other half reminiscent of a 1990s Casio home keyboard (I'm probably unfair to Casio, at that).

OK, I'm exaggerating a wee bit. There are some OK sounds – if I run them through the Scuffham S-Gear amp sim.

Before I give up, I'm going to use some waveforms sampled from my old Hammond Extravoice and see if I can cook up something useful – not being a programmer at all.

I should have demoed properly and not rushed ahead to buy it in the general frenzy around the launch. Caveat emptor…

Serum rules!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

What I like about Codex (also Element) is how easy it is to program. Loading audio-files in Codex works great. Formant and resolution knobs have a wide sonic range. Modulating the wavetables and between different wavetable sounds really good. But I haven't used any presets of Codex. The presets in Codex and Element didn't impress me.

Fantastic job, to whoever designed this. I passed on this when it came up initially, but I start to regret that choice after spending time with the demo and programming a bit. The filter and quality of the cross-mod give this a sweet n' warm sound. Real nice tables as well. The various audio-rate modulations sound nice. Loads of potential :tu:

Offer on Waves.com is good.

Another tool to make your stuff sound a little little bit different. The ability to jog through the waveform and mark out the points and direction quickly is neat. You don't need to see and edit 256 transformations to sound good.

Use the effects to glue the sound together.

I used the demo on my laptop and can't see part of the plugin. Waves let me try 7days. If they changed or upgraded anything since first release I wouldn't know.

Try the demo.

Its a nice synth but I think I have too many. The waves promo is tempting. But I might get the other mixing plugins because they're what I need more to shape the mix.

Ppl compare Serum and Waves Codex. For what reason? They're quite different. For the record I demoed and used both but bought neither yet.

Its something in the sound that I need feel connected with before buying stuff. Unless I have the spare cash from my project budget to play around with.
It don't mean a thing IIAGTS :D

CODEX is nice. Especially the sequences you can create with it - though the sequencer itself could be more advanced.
Good one (and quite different from SERUM, at least to me)

Spitfire31 wrote:Codex is a dud if there ever was one. IMHO, of course.

I've been running through most of the factory presets and another, commercial bank. Half of the patches sound like an accordion under a blanket, smothered in chorus, delays and verb, and the other half reminiscent of a 1990s Casio home keyboard (I'm probably unfair to Casio, at that).

OK, I'm exaggerating a wee bit. There are some OK sounds – if I run them through the Scuffham S-Gear amp sim.

Before I give up, I'm going to use some waveforms sampled from my old Hammond Extravoice and see if I can cook up something useful – not being a programmer at all.

I should have demoed properly and not rushed ahead to buy it in the general frenzy around the launch. Caveat emptor…

Serum rules!

/Joachim
The key here is "not being a programmer at all." Thus, the cheerleading above means nothing to people who use synths for more than presets (at least Joachim seems to be aware of this). Serum and Codex are two different wave synths, and to be blunt as great as Serum indubitably is, the overall sound isn't notably better than Codex, at least to my ears.

The Serum presets themselves overwhelmingly fall short of portraying the vast capabilities of that synth, and sound flat, especially when compared to the punchy immediacy of...oh, say Z3ta. Codex actually sounds pretty damn good in that area, especially if you're looking for quick fix presets. Of course, there's an apples and oranges syndrome there, as Codex has an actual "character", where Serum is more vanilla. Both are great to have under the right conditions (I won't be getting rid of either any time soon).

Yes, the Waves is far more limited in a few key areas, but there are things you can do on Codex that you can't on Serum...as mentioned above, one doesn't always need to see and feel each 256 waves in order to sound good. It's not terribly difficult to figure out, though it sure would be nice to have a couple of more matrix pages.

I dismissed Codex as well in the beginning, but once I got over my knee jerk idiocy I went back and discovered a great synth. It doesn't falter in comparison to any other synth of its ilk except in price, as it's not worth any more than the similarly excellent Helix (and that's only 75 US). With the added pages to the matrix, as well as a set of better effects (though the ones on there now aren't terrible at all, just kind of rudimentary), I'd pay 100 for it, no problem.

All my opinion.
Ha ha suck it!

Been working on a project lately and I guess I can say that it certainly surprises you at times just how analogue it can sound.

Meaning that on play back there were instances of sounds I could have sworn was coming from Element, since I have a few of those in the same session. In retrospect it turned out a that the sounds in question were coming from Codex.

There are other times it sounds quite FM or even 8-bit. It does surprise you.

That said I almost always find myself tweaking the sounds for my own personal use, factory presets can be a bit hit and miss. Then again, I would expect that would be the experience for most people.... Or is it just me that's hard to please?!?! LOL

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:Codex on sale for $79.00. 8)

http://www.waves.com/plugins/codex#code ... -yoad-nevo
S@#T man!! I paid more for mine!! It was a while go, though.

I love it, I think its great.

$50 with coupon from time to time.

Ingonator wrote:I just checked again if the size of the single waveforms does matter for the imported result or not.
In my example posted above i used 512 samples for a single waveform (like in the factory wavetables) and now i tried the same with 2048 samples.

Here is a screenshot in Codeex using the wavetable with 512 samples for each wave (left) and with 2048 samples for one waveform (right):

You could see that it looks different and when scanning trough the table it also sound different.
THe right one looks like it uses around the half of the "mirrored" waveforms at the left which could be useful too but sound wise is not identical. When i set the pitch of the right one an octave higher the sound is closer but misses some additional harmonics of the left one.

Of course Codex seems to be able to import almost any WAV file in some way but in some cases like this it is important that it is imported properly.
Very interesting study/comparison, Ingo. Thanks for sharing. 8)

I'm looking forward to playing/experimenting with this, with files created in Audio Term. I really like the interface/layout, and simplicity (perceived "limitations") of Codex, actually.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”