What is missing on Bitwig to enter the market with success?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

krixa wrote:
CrazyLittleSomething wrote: Changes in Bitwig Studio 1.1 BETA 1

Released on 10.09.2014

"NEW Support for VST side-chaining."

1.1 BETA 6 is just released. AU support is not promised in BWS version 1 FYI.
Cool! Is BETA only available to registered customers or is there a trial-version too?
Not sure. This is the first beta I know about regarded to BWS as a license holder. Until now they've been pretty opaque about their public beta strategy. Before the official release of a specific update, we worked with 'release candidates' until now. However, when they release 1.1 there will be a demo.

Ok, will try to find out..

Is there an ETA on 1.1 release?
Bitwig

aMUSEd wrote:
krixa wrote:Side-chaining of VST/AU plugins.

(A new product name. Bitwig, seriously? :cry: )
Well they were going to call it Bigwit but were concerned everybody would think it was a joke.

Maybe they should rename it to Toupée?
Toupée a little more than I wanted to.

I think a lower price might make them more successful. I think quite a few people were surprised when they announced the price.

I get that they have to make profit, but Sales revenue = cost x volume, so higher volume could create higher revenue even at lower cost. Not sure how they came to the number for their cost, but IMO it's a little too high for a newcomer to the market.

Most people just don't switch DAW whenever something new comes along. Maybe some on KVR do, but I think the vast majority doesn't. Bitwig therefor, needs time. Time for people to switch, and time to mature.

krixa wrote:Ok, will try to find out..

Is there an ETA on 1.1 release?
Not really, depends on the bugs they will find. Can take a week or a month. Who knows. They work with a small team. They seem to be quite dedicated though. And have to follow a tight schedule which is carefully planned in advance. My 2c. We'll see if 1.1 will become their biggest hit :)

BDeep wrote:Most people just don't switch DAW whenever something new comes along. Maybe some on KVR do, but I think the vast majority doesn't. Bitwig therefor, needs time. Time for people to switch, and time to mature.
True. A lot of people do actually buy 1.x's though, even if they aren't literally switching right away, or ever. If that didn't happen it would be tough for any new product or company to maybe survive 2 years into a better version with no sales.

But yeah. a sale puts $400 in your pocket whether the buyer is using it full time yet or not.

As relates to "switching", literally switching, i don't see very much of that. I do see users moving around between multiple products. I mean, if you completely stop using something and exclusively use something else, yeah, that's a switch. If you just start using two things because you bought something new, not really a switch.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robojam wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
krixa wrote:Side-chaining of VST/AU plugins.

(A new product name. Bitwig, seriously? :cry: )
Well they were going to call it Bigwit but were concerned everybody would think it was a joke.

Maybe they should rename it to Toupée?
Toupée a little more than I wanted to.

I think a lower price might make them more successful. I think quite a few people were surprised when they announced the price.

I get that they have to make profit, but Sales revenue = cost x volume, so higher volume could create higher revenue even at lower cost. Not sure how they came to the number for their cost, but IMO it's a little too high for a newcomer to the market.
You're confusing cost and price.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

krixa wrote:Cool! Is BETA only available to registered customers or is there a trial-version too?
Right now it's just for customers.

BDeep wrote:Most people just don't switch DAW whenever something new comes along. Maybe some on KVR do, but I think the vast majority doesn't. Bitwig therefor, needs time. Time for people to switch, and time to mature.
Meh, switch soon and often I say. Takes the focus from the fact that someone has no talent to learning hosts, getting bored, and moving on.

Oh......that's one alternate reality

Alternatively, some people get really frustrated when something that is CLEARLY DESIGNED to do something, does not ;) That might be the reason so many people switch too (but don't tell the alternate reality police, they like the first answer better :D )

Learning new DAWs is an excellent excuse not to actually make music. ;) But yes, I stopped even considering products that cost more than $200, because most of the time I bought a new DAW, I ended up regretting it. Something always just didn't work for me. Tracktion 5 is a notable exception. I didn't even look at it for a long while, but once I did, it turned into a romance that is still going on. (Had to buy the Groove3 videos to get to that point, though. Lack of documentation.)

I don't think teaming up with Behringer is a good idea, that company doesn't have the best reputation.

I guess I read somewhere that Bitwig is bundled with Arturia hardware now, the full version, not some demo or lite version.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”