Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Where's the Clip point at? 0dBFS? I see the light flickering and output meters are way below 0dBFS.

In soft-clip mode, the LED shows saturation kicking in slowly. Otherwise, it strictly clips beyond 0dBFS.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sascha wrote:In soft-clip mode, the LED shows saturation kicking in slowly. Otherwise, it strictly clips beyond 0dBFS.
Thanks.

What can you tell us about the 2-stage release on some opto devices? There's certain pumping with the opto device here that tells me that 2-stage release isn't implemented at least how I'd expect.

Very impressive work and nice on CPU !

Mercado_Negro wrote:
sascha wrote:In soft-clip mode, the LED shows saturation kicking in slowly. Otherwise, it strictly clips beyond 0dBFS.
Thanks.

What can you tell us about the 2-stage release on some opto devices? There's certain pumping with the opto device here that tells me that 2-stage release isn't implemented at least how I'd expect.
It's multistage, actually 6 envs, afair. The regular release is around 130ms in opto, but it swing to both sides, shorter on transients and up to a few secs with heavy long-term reduction.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Urs wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:In the Vari mu when switched to m/s mode the the Inputs still control left/right not m/s. For example switch to ms and feed it a stereo signal pull down the mid input and the left side goes down.
I have a hunch...
Also in the Fet (1176) the Attack/Decay are opposite to the original. I actually prefer this as it makes more sense, but you know what the purists will say !!!! Good job guys.
Well, we thought it would be awkward to reverse the knob. It would try too hard to emulate the original hardware. Which we don't. We just say "this is what Presswerk sounds like if you use it like this and that hardware".

A few weeks ago we had the most gorgeous and realistic looking front panels of these machines in Presswerk. And we thought, people will tear us apart for this, it raises the expectation to be a spot-on emulation. So we reverted to Presswerk's own look and feel. And its own parameter ranges.

- Urs
Re 1176 I agree leave it as it is. It would be daft to change it bearing in mind what you are doing.
Re the MS mode, it does this in normal mode too.
From what I understand the "emulations" are of workflow and all use the same engine, as shown in its entirety in Normal mode. So if for example I create a preset in the 1176 and want to change a parameter not on the page ( more drive etc) how do open the 1176 preset in normal view.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

wesleyt wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:In the Vari mu when switched to m/s mode the the Inputs still control left/right not m/s. For example switch to ms and feed it a stereo signal pull down the mid input and the left side goes down.
Bah! Confirmed on Logic 10.0.7.
Same here (Logic 9.1.8 on MacOS 10.6.8 )

Very impressed indeed... :love:

Urs wrote:
kj.metissage wrote:It would be great if the GUI could fit the size of the FET and OPTO view modes.

Would look better without all that empty space below, IMHO.
We wanted to do that too, but then we figured that browsing presets will become a flicker-fest.

We might try it as an option one day...
Right. Didn't think about that.

I didn't get why I heard saturation when I was monitoring the sidechain signal only with the pre switch activated, when I was looking for the block scheme in the manual. I think the block scheme is valid when the post switch is activated, otherwise the saturation is applied before the whole processing :D
Last edited by Ivan_C on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm also getting that emptiness feel when I switch to Opto, FET or Vari Mu. The first "expert" panel is just gorgeous and then the other panels seem less eye candy or polished. But apart of that the sound is incredible ! The combination with Satin shall be amazing...

Endor-8o8 wrote:I'm also getting that emptiness feel when I switch to Opto, FET or Vari Mu. The first "expert" panel is just gorgeous and then the other panels seem less eye candy or polished. But apart of that the sound is incredible ! The combination with Satin shall be amazing...
Agree on all that : emptiness and less polish.

Been mixing a song for my client and after seeing Presswerk beta decided to remix it using only Presswerk as compressors. I guess I got overexcited and put too much compression... hehe but anyway.
Damn it's good!!! And performance is great all instances been working in HQ :hail:
please take my money

It sounds great on Drums and Vocals and busses so versatile as it should be.
Haven't noticed any bugs Win 8 Cubase 7.5.30
here is a short clip.
https://soundcloud.com/halrum/ncrec-presswerk-beta-test
nc-rec.com

Tried this out on some acoustic bass - sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp. The Presswerk interface is very easy to work with and clear. Everything we've come to expect from U-He.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

gwok wrote:One thing I've found quite quickly that I would prefer, and others can chime in - is that although the 'touch link" parameter is really nice in the vari-mu, I find that I still want to use the dial first and foremost. I keep going to them, and after turning them, being like "oh right....reset, retweak etc".

It's not a big issue, but it is to me a little "unflowing", and counter intuitive. Personally I would like the R/L to be linked and turning one is mirrored on the other (as default). With the option to unlink the parameter.
I'm doing that a lot too, but I figure I'll get used to it after a while, and stop touching the dial first by habit.

Would it be possible though, U-he guys, to have both knobs reset by double clicking the touch link pads, like you can double click a regular knob to reset it?

If the compressors are final, why not put the Opto and the FET on the same page and be able to switch between them (or maybe use both, maybe mix between them)? It feels very empty in those sections the way it is now. Will definetely buy this anyway :P Also wish the Satin intro pricing was still going, arrived late to the party on that one :/ Would be insta-buy with the intro discount :P

Return to “u-he”