Hey guys, excited to start learning and hopefully contribute to this forum.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
My name is Ryan, I like to make Orchestral-style Trance/Melodic Trance/Uplifting. Atleast that's what I'd classify my stuff as though genre classification seems nearly impossible in electronica for obvious reasons.

I'm pretty amateur and have been mostly a hobbyist at production. Right now I'm using Bitwig 1.1 and loving it, though I'm eager for future patches and updates as it's still a really new DAW. I used to use FL Studio for around 4-5 years and a bit of Ableton. I'm super ADD and so it's hard for me to stay disciplined and finish one track before thinking of a new melody that'd work in a different key,etc... I really want to get

My first question would be: How would one tackle volume automation while handling filters, essentially what I want to do is have an LP filter on a trancey pluck arpeggio that opens up but still maintains the same volume (hopefully the objective amplitude.) I realize that cutting certain frequencies out using filters effect amplitude so you'd have to compensate for this. I think I've heard of certain filters that compensate to maintain the exact volume but haven't looked into it that much

-Ryan. Soundcloud.com/Tidbiss (Soundcloud.com/Tidbiss)

Hi Ryan

Welcome to KVR. The simplest and most precise way to do this is just to automate the track volume in the DAW. As the perceived amplitude on the synth rises or falls you compensate for it with track automation. Volume automation is key to making songs work, even in trance.

The other way to do it would be to use a mod wheel connection to open the filter which simultaneously adjust the volume parameter in the synth itself. However this may not always work as expected and can create a gain "jump" somewhere in the middle of the mod wheel travel.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”