iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

oh ok, I see how that could be useful then
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

That was my very first thought with Iris v1... I think that behavior is totally obvious. But it seems not :D :D :D I'm aloooooone ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I just sent Izotope an email telling them they can keep their December 11 $99 upgrade. Complete radio silence for two years... then out of the blue, an upgrade that breaks compatibility? No thanks.

I'll stick with Simon's v1 subscription and maybe give padshop a try for $79 and wait for Alchemy 2.

Does anybody know if they've changed the file format that it includes the WAV's or samples used?

This was the biggest problem I had with Iris, if the referenced files weren't in the correct place,or had been moved, or i was using on my second computer then the patch didn't work and Iris gave me a non-spotlight search dialogue which was tedious.

That was the main reason Iris went pretty unused after purchase.

johnppp wrote:Does anybody know if they've changed the file format that it includes the WAV's or samples used?

This was the biggest problem I had with Iris, if the referenced files weren't in the correct place,or had been moved, or i was using on my second computer then the patch didn't work and Iris gave me a non-spotlight search dialogue which was tedious.

You have to use the export function when saving patches, that way the samples will be embedded inside the preset and you will never have trouble with wrong sample paths and missing wavs again. This applies for version 1 and 2, nothing has changed in this respect.

johnppp wrote:Does anybody know if they've changed the file format that it includes the WAV's or samples used?

Same. While all of Simon's patches are wonderful, there were way too many to browse, and many of them would never be used due to the style of my current project. Iris never offered (that I know of) an easy way to curate/manage my favorite Patchpool patches without resorting to exporting new ones into a single 'favorites' folder (and taking up more hard drive space).

While this may be temporarily a pain for me, and Izotope losing a customer, it's having me seriously consider MachFive or Alchemy 2.

got an email from Izotope- new version of Iris. "oh cool" i thinks " i wonder what cool new functions they included to the spectral engine" which is after all what makes Iris special in the first place. " i wonder how much they are asking, hope it's affordable". hmm, some extra modulation, ok, what else?...um...more soundsets (well, somemore but mostly the soundsets they were selling are included. i don't care at all about soundsets, presets, etc. i bought Iris for it's functionality, so that I could Make soundsets myself. affordable? wtf $99 and $149 later. WOW Izotope that's a bad joke. (never mind the absurdity of breaking backwards compatibility)

i guess we could see the way they are heading with breaktwerker and pain t. it's all about money and basically screw the loyal users. it's too bad, Iris is a cool synth and with a Real upgrade for a reasonable price it would be a continuing winner. looks like a fork in the road...
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Well, downloaded the demo and will run through it tomorrow.

Getting away from the two main points of grief here (price, and backwards compatibility)....

I have to say, I am happy they've beefed up the 'synthesiser' side a fair bit in terms of its modulation flexibility, and made the modulation system fairly user-friendly. Also rather glad theyve decently raising the polyphony limits for Radias-RT and made the sub a proper 4th oscillator, since it pretty much was anyway.

Kind of disappointed that the spectral tools havent been changed. More disappointed that loop points etc cant be modulated, thats a missed opportunity, IMO.

No comb filters or anything filtery that isnt basically subtractive. Kinda meh on that, although they do seem to have expanded the number of filter choices. But would it have hurt them to give us a range of effects to choose from per slot?

And not entirely an Iris2 thing but in an experimental-y sorta synth, why doesnt -anyone- ever think of putting in a goddamn convolver instead of yet another bloody algorithmic reverb ?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Getting away from the two main points of grief here (price, and backwards compatibility)....

I have to say, I am happy they've beefed up the 'synthesiser' side a fair bit in terms of its modulation flexibility, and made the modulation system fairly user-friendly. Also rather glad theyve decently raising the polyphony limits for Radias-RT and made the sub a proper 4th oscillator, since it pretty much was anyway.

Kind of disappointed that the spectral tools havent been changed. More disappointed that loop points etc cant be modulated, thats a missed opportunity, IMO.
That's my main issue with Iris 2 -- too much 'synth', not enough updates or improvements to what made iris 1 an exciting prospect. And given Izotope's track record, we're not going to see another update until 2017.

Very disappointing upgrade. I have owned Iris from when it first came out. I like it but I always hated the fact thta you cannot affect the time at which the sample plays or sync the samples in any way to the tempo of your DAW. I also find the drawing tools a quite limited.
Given that Iris's selling point is the drawing tools and manipulation of samples I really thought that that would be where they would expand the instrument. But still the samples play at the same speed they were sampled and the drawing tools are just as limited as before. They have offered almost no free upgradees since the instrument came out and now you are expected to fork out more cash for a very weak upgrade. I find it hard to believe that its more modulation is what fans were looking for as he suggests in the video.

Well I bought it but I'm really bummed that Simon's stuff doesn't work in it. For me Iris 1 is about my own sound design and stuff I bought from Simon (because...sad to say...Simon is a WAY better sound designer than me). The factory stuff...beyond some of the raw samples...doesn't really do it for me.

I wonder how many Iris users are in the the same boat ? I would imagine quite a few.

I think Iris is a brilliant idea and I find myself using Trash 2 a lot...mostly on percussion for film...but I don't have a clue as to what the Izotope guys are thinking, doing something like this. Wow. Mind boggling.

Andy B

Well ... at $99 I think I'd be moderately interested in the upgrade ... but not if I can't use Simon's patches and those from others, ones I made myself or those from iZotope for version 1 ... given that I'm certainly not interested at $149 for the upgrade.

It's amazing that iZotope ignored the obvious ... which is that the version 1 user base has a huge amount of content they'd want to use on version 2 ... and that third party sound designers such as Simon in large part have carried the flame for Iris and helped drive sales. But instead ... they decide to tick off these folk and shoot themselves in the foot in the process. That's just stupid.

I hope ya can find a way around this mess Simon.

KenB

Wow... Looks like another dud upgrade form Izo-no-hope.

Don't think it's worth a $99 (plus 23% VAT) upgrade. Might sell it, and Ozone advanced. :(
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

TexLoco5 wrote:
I hope ya can find a way around this mess Simon.

KenB
If we all stick with v1, the mess is solved. I do have interest in v2 in the respect of advanced modulation routings, but I will not leave my user base behind so as stated several times, v1 lives and I will continue to make sounds for it until the lights go out.

Return to “Instruments”