iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

See, again, I disagree. I think you SHOULD be pissed. Now, as far as how to handle that......I don't have any advice. But I'd be pissed, and I'd feel betrayed.

FYI: I am just doing some more conversion tests.
The patch in v1 has an LFO assigned to pitch modulation in each osc, LFO depth assigned to the Modwheel (different values for each LFO) and each LFO has a different speed and shape.

So opening that patch in v2: The only thing that translates are the LFO speeds, the shapes are all set to sine, depth to zero, the wheel is not assigned to anything. So the procedure now is to drag each LFO to pitch or pitch fine in each osc, then assign the wheel to the depth parameter in each LFO.

That was only restoring that simple routing and it takes a while (and I'm fast at editing). Now to the filter parameters. If I would do this restoring-work for 400+ patches I could easily spend 2 moths or more.

EDIT: So it's not only that all the assignments get lost, also the LFO shapes don't translate, this is nowhere mentioned in the release notes for v2.

Getting someone to map the parameters and write a conversion utility is probably a better idea in the long run.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

hibidy wrote:See, again, I disagree. I think you SHOULD be pissed. Now, as far as how to handle that......I don't have any advice. But I'd be pissed, and I'd feel betrayed.
You're just goading me now to hop on a plane to Boston and orchestrate a riot outside Izotope Towers … :x :D

Ben H wrote:Getting someone to map the parameters and write a conversion utility is probably a better idea in the long run.
Sure, I am not planning to go through all those patches anyway, it's just another test and we learned, that an automated conversion utility is not possible, that's what the iZotope devs said themselves.

hibidy wrote:I think you SHOULD be pissed. Now, as far as how to handle that......I don't have any advice. But I'd be pissed, and I'd feel betrayed.
Yeah, I'm feeling pretty much pissed and betrayed.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ben H wrote:Getting someone to map the parameters and write a conversion utility is probably a better idea in the long run.
Sure, I am not planning to go through all those patches anyway, it's just another test and we learned, that an automated conversion utility is not possible, that's what the iZotope devs said themselves.
I think it's more a matter of the iZotope devs "can't be bothered," rather than it "can't be done." In other words, we don't want to spend our development time doing it, so users are going to have to just suck it up. :/
Last edited by Ben H on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post :/

sheez triple post.

not my night. :(

lnikj wrote:
hibidy wrote:See, again, I disagree. I think you SHOULD be pissed. Now, as far as how to handle that......I don't have any advice. But I'd be pissed, and I'd feel betrayed.
You're just goading me now to hop on a plane to Boston and orchestrate a riot outside Izotope Towers … :x :D
haha!

@Ben H: Yeah, I mean, did they REALLY hand over a well respected software establishment to some f**king bean-counter and say "yeah, we don't want our customers to be happy, we want to blatantly and methodically rip them off"

At least that's how it seems to me :shrug:

Ben H wrote:sheez triple post.

not my night. :(
Gonna make this a night to remeeeeember (Kool and the gang).

Ben H wrote: I think it's more a matter of the iZotope devs "can't be bothered," rather than it "can't be done." In other words, we don't want to spend our development time doing it, so users are going to have to just suck it up.
You could be right here. If I had the time I would look into it in far more depth.

The whole point of storing data in XML is so that it can be easily transformed into another XML schema with XSLT or just a little perl/regex script.

Some of this stuff MUST translate. A perfect transform may not be possible but a partial one definitely should.

Everything else just stinks of laziness and money grubbing so there is no reason that this should be exempt.

:x :x :x

i think it would be a good solution if izotope offered a free iris 1 license with the purchase of iris 2 or at least a bundle of the two products for a reduced price. this way, even new customers could profit from the third party libraries that are available for iris 1 (and simon could sell some more of his amazing iris sounds without the hassle of converting them to the new iris 2 format). synapse audio is doing something like this, i.e. offering a special dune 1 and dune 2 bundle, although in all fairness they made it clear from the beginning that dune 2 would not be compatible with dune 1.

Sampleconstruct wrote:FYI: I am just doing some more conversion tests.
The patch in v1 has an LFO assigned to pitch modulation in each osc, LFO depth assigned to the Modwheel (different values for each LFO) and each LFO has a different speed and shape.

So opening that patch in v2: The only thing that translates are the LFO speeds, the shapes are all set to sine, depth to zero, the wheel is not assigned to anything. So the procedure now is to drag each LFO to pitch or pitch fine in each osc, then assign the wheel to the depth parameter in each LFO.

That was only restoring that simple routing and it takes a while (and I'm fast at editing). Now to the filter parameters. If I would do this restoring-work for 400+ patches I could easily spend 2 moths or more.

EDIT: So it's not only that all the assignments get lost, also the LFO shapes don't translate, this is nowhere mentioned in the release notes for v2.
And another thing that does not translate are the mapping settings, so all v1 patches in split mode now have all involved oscillators mapped across the entire Midi note range in iris 2 - come on, this is simply stupid.

Return to “Instruments”