iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Conclusion: why does iZotope not officially state which settings get lost in the patch conversion process and come up with this embarrassing "might need to be reassigned"-talk. That's simply out of my naive brain scope.

Gosh wrote:(and simon could sell some more of his amazing iris sounds without the hassle of converting them to the new iris 2 format).
Forget me and what I could sell, this problem goes much further than my own interests.

MillerSam wrote:
"With many new features in Iris 2 such as as flexible new modulation system, enhanced effects and filters, extensive visualizations and metering, hundreds of new patches + 11 GB sample library (24-bit .WAV files for use in any sampler), optimized workflow, an updated UI, and much more, we feel that a $99 upgrade price is well worth the investment. "
I also had this exact response.

Nothing about a reduction for people who already paid for a big chunk of that much touted 11 GB sample library?

aMUSEd wrote:Nothing about a reduction for people who already paid for a big chunk of that much touted 11 GB sample library?
I had the same question, owning Iris+7, here is what they said

" To clarify, while Iris 2 contains a large portion of samples from the +7 library, it does not contain any of the actual patches included with Iris +7 (which were the main selling point of the +7 libraries). That said, Iris +7 owners will still retain the additional value of owning the add-on packs.

For this reason, we feel that Iris 2 offers the same value to both Iris and Iris +7 owners, and hence we decided to keep a single upgrade price.

Additionally, it is worth noting that the Iris 2 library now includes Wave versions of all samples, which means you can add the sample content to your general sample libraries, and use the sounds in any sampler or recording software (whereas the samples included in Iris and Iris +7 could only be used in Iris)."

I told them I had no intention of upgrading...

jc_vt wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: " To clarify, while Iris 2 contains a large portion of samples from the +7 library, it does not contain any of the actual patches included with Iris +7 (which were the main selling point of the +7 libraries).
So at iZotope headquarters they weren't in the mood for fixing their own patches one-by-one, either? :dog:

Stay tuned for Trash 3: "We were able to get rid of all the nasty distortion, now you get the silky smooth sound you're looking for. That'll be $149 for the upgrade, thank you very much."

jc_vt wrote:
I had the same question, owning Iris+7, here is what they said

" To clarify, while Iris 2 contains a large portion of samples from the +7 library, it does not contain any of the actual patches included with Iris +7 (which were the main selling point of the +7 libraries). That said, Iris +7 owners will still retain the additional value of owning the add-on packs.

For this reason, we feel that Iris 2 offers the same value to both Iris and Iris +7 owners, and hence we decided to keep a single upgrade price.

Additionally, it is worth noting that the Iris 2 library now includes Wave versions of all samples, which means you can add the sample content to your general sample libraries, and use the sounds in any sampler or recording software (whereas the samples included in Iris and Iris +7 could only be used in Iris)."

I told them I had no intention of upgrading...
Wow, this is amazingly ridiculous. I tell you people, too much Meth ain't good for your sanity.

Clearly it's so hard to convert patches to the new format even they couldn't be bothered. I can't think of anything more likely to dampen enthusiasm for sound design that a plugin developer ditching all the work SDs had done by making it hard or even impossible to maintain patch compatibility. I think there is a trust issue here, and that developers should do everything they can to maintain backwards compatibility. Even if you can run 2 versions side by side everyone knows sooner of later, as v1 isn't being developed, it will get buggier and buggier as systems move on but the plugin doesn't. I had a similar situation with XILS 3 which I had made what i thought was a nice bank of 100 or so patches then they updated it and not only do many of the new presets not sound the same, but there doesn't seem to be any way to fix it. It felt very disheartening - I felt what's the point of making any news ones, there is no guarantee with the next version this won't happen again. I do not want to end up having multiple versions of the same plugin on my system everytime they update something, with the older eversions becoming increasingly unstable, that is a crazy strategy.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IMO the real issue is not the lack of backwards compatibility. Dune 2 did this and clearly stated it. The problem is, that Iris 2 apparently doesn't bring enough new to the table to justify such an extreme cut. Dune 2 OTOH is a completely new beast.

That and the disastrous way of communication ("some tweaks may be required"), of course. And the upgrade pricing. :roll:

I own Iris 1 but didn't buy any libraries so for me the £55 upgrade would really just be buying the 11 gig sample pack which I never really wanted (that's why I didn't buy the packs first time round!) The synth layout and usability is definitely improved, the new modulation options are really very good, but unfortunately just highlight even more how little there is to actually modulate! Even though I like Iris and can see some very small improvements, I wont be upgrading - its just smoke and mirrors for a cash dash, no thought whatsoever has been put in to actually making the product a better synth. Shame.

I also own Ozone 5 - didn't take that upgrade either and probably wont buy another Ozone product, they charge more for a very small (.1) upgrade than I normally pay for a synth (for example, I bought the excellent Serum for the cost of this nothing upgrade). It really makes you appreciate developers like UHE who continually improve products and don't charge loyal users, that's why I buy just about everything UHE makes and probably wont bother with iZotope again (although I do still like Ozone 5!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

If you want order Iris 2 upgrade for 83.99 Dollar, login in blowout jrrshop and you get the price ;) He will raise price again on Saturday, so order soon if you want it for this price. Better than 99 Dollar
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

tbh mate, even at that price, I would not consider upgrading.
Not for the lack of what is on offer.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Big serious question. I used iris1 yesterday again to check ig im gonna sell it. I then remembered that, like yesterday, get very often distortion while processing and playing processed sounds. Is there a solution? If not then this shit will be present in iris2 too and they say f**k u lol.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

paterpeter wrote:IMO the real issue is not the lack of backwards compatibility. Dune 2 did this and clearly stated it. The problem is, that Iris 2 apparently doesn't bring enough new to the table to justify such an extreme cut. Dune 2 OTOH is a completely new beast.
No I think it is a serious issue - Izotope have always marketed Iris on the basis of its sound banks and many people have also heavily invested in third party sound banks like Simon's. Now we are stuck with an investment that for all their talk about being able to run both side by side in reality is not sustainable. Tear it up and start again, and with the uncertainly that even if we do take them on trust and start again will the same thing happen with the next version? They are showing a total lack of consideration for both the efforts of sound designers and the investment customers have made in their products, and yes, on top of that, have the cheek to expect people to pay through the nose to 'upgrade'.

Maybe we will see a update shortly for fixing this problem :S If they receive enough emails I think they will do something otherwise they do nothing ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Return to “Instruments”