Hardware synths - something out of the ordinary?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, getting back to things... aMUSEd, how are you getting on with the Z1? Worth the trip?

I ask because I also kind of am looking for an experimental orientated hardware synth. I've been messing with a E-MU Mo'Phatt, and while it's very cool in many respects, programming it is more like math homework than I like in a synth. Actually, the best results I've gotten so far is to roll the dice and use the editor's patch randomizer, but I was also looking for something that I'd have a bit more directed fun with that was either a rack or had a good enough keyboard to replace my Novation Remote 61.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

OK sysex librarian seems to work fine for individual sysex patches as I can load them to init patches on my memory card. However whenever I try and load a whole sysex bank they seem to insist on loading to the 2 inbuilt banks - which I have protected - instead of to the blank card. Is there anyway to tell sysex librarian to load into the card slots?

zerocrossing wrote:So, getting back to things... aMUSEd, how are you getting on with the Z1? Worth the trip?

I ask because I also kind of am looking for an experimental orientated hardware synth. I've been messing with a E-MU Mo'Phatt, and while it's very cool in many respects, programming it is more like math homework than I like in a synth. Actually, the best results I've gotten so far is to roll the dice and use the editor's patch randomizer, but I was also looking for something that I'd have a bit more directed fun with that was either a rack or had a good enough keyboard to replace my Novation Remote 61.
Yes it was I think, it seems very versatile and can do anything from straight physical modelling of acoustic instruments to complex pads. Not as good as my V-Synth for the latter, but given that it is pure synthesis with not a sample in sight, and can also do FM synthesis and excellent organs, clavs and EPs it's well worth it and has replaced my V-Synth as a midi controller as well as it starts up quicker and the keyboard is better.

aMUSEd wrote:OK sysex librarian seems to work fine for individual sysex patches as I can load them to init patches on my memory card. However whenever I try and load a whole sysex bank they seem to insist on loading to the 2 inbuilt banks - which I have protected - instead of to the blank card. Is there anyway to tell sysex librarian to load into the card slots?
Looks like there isn't - I have to load the bank into the Z1 main slots, then use the bank utility to load it onto the disk. I've managed to backup all the banks I have on card now anyway, now I just need to find a way to consolidate them and import all the single patches I have into one bank. Really need some sort of sysex manager, sysex librarian doesn't really do that, it just loads and writes but can't consolidate patches or split up banks. You would think someone would have created such a thing by now.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”