Anyone using a New Mac Pro yet?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Save the flame wars for another string, boys, and stay on-topic.

Not personally, but a friend of mine bought one for his iPhone/iPad development work and has been raving about it. Not quite sure why, but he's very happy with it.

I want a fully loaded one please so I can create supersonic aural chaos.
:borg:

robojam wrote:Not personally, but a friend of mine bought one for his iPhone/iPad development work and has been raving about it. Not quite sure why, but he's very happy with it.
What? A Mac Pro for his iPhone/iPad development work? :-o
Fernando (FMR)

V0RT3X wrote:I want a fully loaded one please so I can create supersonic aural chaos.
If you happen to have one of the older generation being replaced, I could take care of it... for free :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I want a fully loaded one please so I can create supersonic aural chaos.
If you happen to have one of the older generation being replaced, I could take care of it... for free :wink:
If I had the money to blow on a fully loaded mac pro id give you my old 2012 macbook pro lol
:borg:

fmr wrote:
robojam wrote:Not personally, but a friend of mine bought one for his iPhone/iPad development work and has been raving about it. Not quite sure why, but he's very happy with it.
What? A Mac Pro for his iPhone/iPad development work? :-o
Sure. The faster the machine, the quicker the compiles and the better the emulator runs.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So, if everyone is just going to comment about CPUs and benchmarks, or worse, talk about PC comparisons, then my thread has done exactly what i feared it would, and not accomplished what i set out to do :-D :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:So, if everyone is just going to comment about CPUs and benchmarks, or worse, talk about PC comparisons, then my thread has done exactly what i feared it would, and not accomplished what i set out to do :-D :-D
Wait, isn't it about how good the Mac Pro compares to other Macs?

Isn't it what we have been discussing? Newer Macs that have better CPUs, and how they compare to Mac Pro? Because the Mac is a "PC", you know?
Fernando (FMR)

V0RT3X wrote:
fmr wrote:
If I had the money to blow on a fully loaded mac pro id give you my old 2012 macbook pro lol
Say what now, Vortex? (hiya btw, thanks for the comments on my soundcloud)

What do you mean, "old" 2012 MBP? I'm still hobbling along on my 2009 MBP...

fmr wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:So, if everyone is just going to comment about CPUs and benchmarks, or worse, talk about PC comparisons, then my thread has done exactly what i feared it would, and not accomplished what i set out to do :-D :-D
Wait, isn't it about how good the Mac Pro compares to other Macs?

Isn't it what we have been discussing? Newer Macs that have better CPUs, and how they compare to Mac Pro? Because the Mac is a "PC", you know?
No, i just wanted to know if anyone was using the new Mac Pro, how they were finding it for audio work, etc. Not really interested in comparing it to other systems. It's really aimed at a different kind of usage. The Mac Mini and iMac are both pretty much like MacBooks. They don't really cover my expected uses (both have slower internal storage, less RAM capacity, less GPU power, more problems with heat... since i've lost a MacBook Pro to NVidia GPU failure, etc). So i'm interested in the new Mac Pro, despite the cost.

As for Macs being "PC"s... well... i'm in agreement about the literal meaning of "personal computer", but i have long since given up trying to change the arbitrary meaning that most people have given "PC", including Apple.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So... How about NOW?

Anyone working on music with a late 2013 new Mac Pro???? Any comments about using it? Happy? Sad?

:-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm not bringing anything new to the dicussion, but I will say it seems because of the heavy costs of the virtual studio when you add all the expenses up, the Mac Pro will really have to bring a lot of benefits.

I for years have speculated about going for several mac mini's ganged together using Vienna Pro software, but when I think about it and do the math it ends up being clunky and almost as expensive as a Mac Pro anyways, so my plan is within a 2 year window is to get a 6 core standard Mac Pro.

It's portable, quiet and will have been upgraded to faster processors Logic X will be optimized for running on more threads by then to take advantage of the increased speeds..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I just got a custom build Mac Pro a few weeks ago (6 core, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD) and am in the middle of loading my plug ins (taking forever with re-authorising certain plugs).

I've only been playing around with plugs as I install them and not really pushing anything yet, but I can see this being a huge step up from my early 2008 machine.

Boot time is quick, LogiX loads in a flash, getting ridiculously low CPU use on plug ins like Diversion and DIVA (I didn't even get to use Diversion in a production sense on the old machine as it was too demanding).
I'm really looking forward to pushing this machine in the near future.

ftech wrote:I just got a custom build Mac Pro a few weeks ago (6 core, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD) and am in the middle of loading my plug ins (taking forever with re-authorising certain plugs).
Would you mind to say how much did you pay for it?
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”