Before Stutter-Edit: How do I insert rhythmic stuttered silence into a long sample?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've heard a sampler may be able to do what I'm looking for. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to add a stuttery rhythmic silence to a long sample. I don't want to retrigger the sample but rather add a rhythm by cutting sound out of it.

I guess I could automate a mute button.

You use scissors to cut the tape and glue to piece it together.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:You use scissors to cut the tape and glue to piece it together.
:D :D :D

Classic, and true. That's how I learned it too. Though not for stuttering effects ;)

The more modern approach is to automate mute or volume. Or you can use a gate that has a trigger input.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

A gate. That's it. I feel dumb now.

You don't have to ;)
We are nowadays so much overwhelmed with possibilities and different plugins, that often the most simple solutions (that worked for "ages) get forgotten.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

There are tons of tools and methods to do this. They all vary depending on the point where you want to introduce the stutter effect in to the audio path of your sound.

The main function that creates the effect is a square-wave controlling the amplitude of the sound. The square-wave itself is controlled by the rate of the LFO.

You can use the LFO's in the effects section of your DAW, you can use automated LFO's like choppers for this, you can use the LFO's of your synths/samplers to create that effect, sometimes they even provide stutter effects straight in to the VST-GUI, etc...

A variation of the theme is to control the square-wave on a LP-filter-cutoff. The techniques for doing this are the same as for amplitude.

Often overlooked - midi gate.
Cubase user, House producer.

http://soundcloud.com/gavin-jackson

I recall reading that gates were used to tighten a performance. For instance: Track midi 8th notes and then use them to gate a fast rhythm guitar to be perfectly in sync. Also, you could add extra bass by gating and selectively triggering an endless low sine wave. Never really tried either though.

If you're happy with 32-bit plugins than there's always the crazy tremolo effect Skidder from Destroy FX, set it to temposync and once you've found your appropriate tempo play with the pulsewidth randomization for a more lively effect. Or even insert some randomization to the tempo of each individual pulse if that suits you, automate that sort of stuff in and out as you please for different sections. Use some slope to avoid clicking, unless you like click sounds as a side effect. Automate the minimum floor value all the way up when you want the effect to have no effect, the handle all the way to the left on the floor parameter.

Incidentally it will also function as a MIDI gate if you tell it to. :wink:

Destroy FX explains how the parameters of Skidder works (from the appropriatly named "WTF?" link): http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/docs/skidder.html

Download from the Destroy FX page here: http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/

Very cool! Thanks!

:party: Skidder can be triggered by midi notes or randomly. Perfect! Thank you!

Return to “Production Techniques”