Clavia Nord Lead 2X (Worth buying) or better to use VST synth to emulate its sounds ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like my 2x, but, in my opinion, the sound isn't startlingly interesting (or characterful or unique) when compared to modern soft synths

To me it's more useful because I can generate some sounds in the Nord, which frees my computer up to do other things

ulozilla wrote:Do you still own the Nord lead 2x? I'm thinking on getting one, what's your experience after all these years
Some people say that it sounds like any other vst, others say it has a unique sound, i really like the interface and some demos i've seen on youtube, maybe is not analog but i'm not looking for true analog sound, just a good hardware synth, with unique sound and easy to program.
I've got the Nord 2 and it's harsh and aggressive. I love it for its Second Toughest of the Infants sounds, I specifically got a Nord 2 instead of a Nord 2X for this reason.

I read some comments in different forums about the NL2 being warmer than the 2x , and same thing about the 1 vs the 2x, i assume that the 2 is cheaper than the 2x which i think it's very expensive, even a used one....
Who is this doing this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

The Nord Lead 1 and 2 sound the same. The 2X sounds different, it has "upgraded" converters. I imagine the algorithms are the same.

I have NL3, sounds great, being able to map any parameter to the various control features instantly is great, good for 'morphing' plus it makes an amazing controller for soft synths with its ring lit endless control knobs
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I have NL3, sounds great, being able to map any parameter to the various control features instantly is great, good for 'morphing' plus it makes an amazing controller for soft synths with its ring lit endless control knobs
An NL3 is something entirely different. That's a beautiful synth. :)

I miss my old Nord Micro Modular.

Uncle E wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I have NL3, sounds great, being able to map any parameter to the various control features instantly is great, good for 'morphing' plus it makes an amazing controller for soft synths with its ring lit endless control knobs
An NL3 is something entirely different. That's a beautiful synth. :)

Why they dont re release the Micro Ill never know, would be an isntant hit if they markedt it around the £200 mark with a few more knobs.

Seems viirtual modular hardware just doesnt sell unless marketed properly....Im thinking of the Creamware Pulsar etc here, so much better and versatile than UAD money suckers
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Uncle E wrote:
What did you use the Micro for?
Perhaps I should dig mine out of the box..

bluedad wrote:What did you use the Micro for?
Perhaps I should dig mine out of the box..
Everything! It's surprisingly versatile and great sounding. I could always get surprisingly far even with just its few knobs and I rarely used the software editor.

The Micro is great too for playing out. It's nice because it's very small and easy to carry around in a gig bag. About the size of an Evolver if I remember correctly. An updated version would be good, I think.

I used to have a Micro but the opportunity came along to get a Modular key mark1 instead, which would also be a cool re-release, imo. (with today's updated processor chips)

As for NL2 vs NL2x... in speaking to people about it, I think the general consensus at the time was that people seemed to prefer the older versions and that the 2x was too bright and almost "too perfect" (due to the better converters). The thought was that in upgrading Clavia may have lost something along the way. BUT... we also decided that you could always adjust your patches accordingly... sort of dumb them down if you will, to get back to the sound of the older units. At the time, a similar comparison was made between the PCM81 vs the PCM70. And... these were people who knew what they were talking about. YMMW, of course!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I was surprised to see that Nord Modular G1 Keyboards aren't much more expensive than the Micros on the used market. Is there any good reason why that is? Do the keyboards have an issue? Actually, the Micros have held their value amazingly well, they're not much cheaper now than when they were new.

Uncle E wrote:I was surprised to see that Nord Modular G1 Keyboards aren't much more expensive than the Micros on the used market. Is there any good reason why that is? Do the keyboards have an issue? Actually, the Micros have held their value amazingly well, they're not much cheaper now than when they were new.
I really think that it is the portability issue. I still have my G1 keyboard and even though I don't use it much, I probably won't sell it. Mine was the center of my live rig for a few years. I fed my 909 through it and used it's built in sequencers to filter and effect my 909 in real time.

I almost purchased a pair of G2s but decided to just make do with what I had, a couple years after that, I pretty much stopped playing out.

Anyone wanna buy a G2? I'm thinking of selling my G2 expanded 37 keys in mint condition, and including a soft carry case.

maschinelf wrote:Anyone wanna buy a G2? I'm thinking of selling my G2 expanded 37 keys in mint condition, and including a soft carry case.
The last I checked, and it's been a while, they were still going for top dollar on ebay.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”