Hearing a lot of bad things about the MiniLab...

Official support for: arturia.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I just signed the petition "Arturia Musical Instruments - This petition requests fixes that pertain to Arturia's hardware and software. The encoders and software are severely unstable regardless of the recent updates. This problem has been neglected for almost a year." on Change.org.

It's important. Will you sign it too? Here's the link:

http://www.change.org/petitions/arturia ... e_petition

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi jgoblin,
jgoblin wrote:Minilab's encoders are defectives, whatever knob, mode, or software you use;
I work at Arturia, and I can testify first-hand that this isn't true.

When using latest firmware (rev 2.1.0.2) and Analog Lab's latest update (1.0.5), knobs do work properly (even within Ableton Live)

Both updates are freely available here: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... urces.html (http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/MiniLab/resources.html)

What's could be confusing is that MiniLab powers up into relative mode, ready for use with Analog Lab software, but not with some other software.
In such case, simply load in memory #1 (Shift+Pad 1) and MiniLab enters absolute mode.

Regards,
Robert @ Arturia

rbocquier wrote:Hi jgoblin,
jgoblin wrote:Minilab's encoders are defectives, whatever knob, mode, or software you use;

When using latest firmware (rev 2.1.0.2) and Analog Lab's latest update (1.0.5), knobs do work properly (even within Ableton Live)

Both updates are freely available here: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... urces.html

What's could be confusing is that MiniLab powers up into relative mode, ready for use with Analog Lab software, but not with some other software.
In such case, simply load in memory #1 (Shift+Pad 1) and MiniLab enters absolute mode.

Regards,
Robert @ Arturia
I posted a video on Youtube showing the malfunction of Minilab's encoders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcYnZMhPl0E

And this is not related to a confusion between Absolute/Relative mode.

This looks more like a hardware issue. More like an issue I have with the Presonus Faderport's pan knob. Skipping, not reacting smoothly. I guess we should have a petition against some Chinese manufacturer of cheap potentiometers?

And the core issue as always is greed. Instead of using 20c more expensive but good and quality potentiometers made by an European or US based firm, most of the firms tend to use the crappy ones that are made in Chine and cheaper. Greed. As if there's not enough profit already. Nooo, it's never enough. "I need a new yacht"... while 90% of the people are poor and barely manage to make ends meet. Sick world. Completely and utterly sick crap. Shame on you Arturia. Even though you're just a drop in the sea... I don't think there are any companies not guilty of outsourcing and using cheaper components from China. I'm just saying, give us a 10$ more expensive product that works as advertised. That's all.

Oh, and fire the greedy, stupid cretin who doesn't know anything about anything but how to make profit [mostly for himself] CEO. Fire him! Because stupid mistakes like this can cost a company a great deal of money. There's nothing more bad than bad reputation! Faulty equipment generates bad reputation, so there shouldn't be any faulty equipment no matter the profit margins! If you want to be successful, make a good, reliable product. That's it. Simple. And sales will ensue, and profit will rise. Don't make cheap shit and cheap mistakes.
Last edited by DuX on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

rbocquier wrote:Hi jgoblin,

Both updates are freely available here: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... urces.html

Regards,
Robert @ Arturia
I can verify that using the latest Lab (1.0.5) and firmware and Keylab 61 firmware(1.29) does NOT fix the encoder problem. The encoders are unusable. They simply randomly choose direction and rate of change.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

just this today. within 2 hours Ive had 6 crashes whilst going thru the presets in standalone. Has anyone solved this problem yet at Arturia. Ive sent my info to them and am awaiting a reply but ive only 14 days to return it for a refund from the supplier.
Also the supplier states in the small print that if its opened or registered it cant be returned!! but how would i know it was faulty unitl Id registered and got my activation codes etc. that must be illegal surely.
Can anyone help?
Thanks Paul

That's the capitalist way, friend. You're being hosed. :( I'm sorry. The only important thing is that you gave your money away. After that nothing else matters. Just like the good ole Metallica song goes.

Sorry I cannot help you, but I can empathise with you. Things like this make me mad, too.

I am considering buying Keylab61 and things like this doesn't really help. Arturia, are you listening?? Bad rep is not good for sales and since you only think about sales... hmmm? You can sale only the stuff that works or maybe I'm wrong?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I was looking at the Keylab 49 and it looks interesting but seeing of the reports of problems has made me think again. Are the problems with encoders not responding etc still ongoing?
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

I just recently created the Hardware Integration Script of the KeyLab series for Bitwig Studio and didn't encounter any such issues (lots of knob-turning involved ;-) ).
I had a KeyLab 49 here for about two months and also tested the scripts with a KeyLab 25 - I like them a lot. I'm even considering getting one for my private use (love the design).

I can't remember having a single crash of the Analog Lab software (Windows 8.1.u x64) in that time.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:I just recently created the Hardware Integration Script of the KeyLab series for Bitwig Studio and didn't encounter any such issues (lots of knob-turning involved ;-) ).
I had a KeyLab 49 here for about two months and also tested the scripts with a KeyLab 25 - I like them a lot. I'm even considering getting one for my private use (love the design).

I can't remember having a single crash of the Analog Lab software (Windows 8.1.u x64) in that time.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers,

Tom
Thats encouraging thanks for the report Tom.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Gosh I'm starting to get paranoid at the positive responses in the forums to just about everything on the Internet lately as it is so easy to just pay someone to write a positive post on a forum when a company is not doing well. :( There are so many Microsoft trolls like that on the internet that try to contradict all the negative posts about the Windows 8, for instance... I hope I'm just paranoid, but it's just so easy to hire people to that and it sounds logical. It's a forum war... and you believe what you read. If you read many negative posts you'll think negative about the product and vice versa. Hell, I know I'd hire people to spread positive propaganda about my product. It's just too easy...

I wonder what you people think about it and how much do you trust forums. Even though it's so OT and maybe it deserves a separate thread. I'm sorry for that. Do we trust what the majority of the people say or what? You can't hire so many people to write positive reviews. It also works the other way, that's why I said "forum wars".

The problem is also in people as they just want to sell their stuff, no matter the quality. It's the question of morals and let's be honest about morals in this society as it is - there is no morals. All the morals get lost with the money and the bills/debts/mortgage you have to pay. :( Sadly.

Cheers!

I have the opportunity to test many controllers while writing scripts and the KeyLab was one I personally liked, simple as that. :shrug:

And I am very fond of Windows 8 actually after banning the (for me useless) Metro stuff with Classic Shell. ;-)
That doesn't mean that I agree with everything Microsoft does, far from it actually.
I simply think it's not all just Black and White: Vista got very bad critics, I used the x64 version right from the beginning and it worked very well for me, much better than XP (3D graphics) actually. And yes Windows 7 was much better, and for me Windows 8 even more so. Again, that is just me.
Gosh I'm starting to get paranoid at the positive responses in the forums to just about everything on the Internet lately
That is one funny statement. If somebody says something positive it can only be paid for? What if somebody actually has positive experiences with something, he should shut up and go elsewhere?

The reason I came here was my personal interest in the topic since the MiniLab is on my list as well and I was curious about the reported problems, since that is something I would need to deal with also if I'd encounter it.
I didn't look deeply into it yet so I can't comment on it. That is why I didn't.

:shrug:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Kraznet wrote:I was looking at the Keylab 49 and it looks interesting but seeing of the reports of problems has made me think again. Are the problems with encoders not responding etc still ongoing?
avoid buying any of the keylabs theres problems with the encoders/faders/and broken keys..ive had all 3 faults with mine ive had it 3 months and the encoders only work sometimes and the times they do work you have to turn and joggle the knobs to change parameters then all of a sudden the values go threw the roof and ends up crashing analogue lab software..
the faders work but are pretty much useless in a workflow way.the faders need moving too whatever the settings are on the on screen fader parameter.so one fader on screen could have a value at 100 and your keyboard fader could have 100 but unless you move the fader on your keyboard way beyond 100 it wont then start making changes so in a mix situation in Cubase its useless and if your using it too control analogue lab the minute you change sounds or if you've loaded up multiple analogue labs in Cubase each time you click on a different instance you need to alter all your faders again and if you go back to tweak your first sound itll be messed up once you touch the faders or knobs..its stupid.

and the biggest issue that most customers have had is the fact arturia have used the crapiest ,cheapest keys ever made..ive played with baby toy pianos that had better keys and they only cost £10 too buy !!!!!
arturia should never have shipped any keyboards with the keys they've had fitted in the sweatshops in china.the fault lies not only in the poor quality keys that break very very easily and are no use if your trying to play any emotion into a piano vst (the velocitys are all over the place you can gently touch a key and it gives 127 velocity or hit it hard and get no sound)
the biggest fault lies in the bumpers underneath each key in most synths/controllers ive bought there usually made with metal or strong plastics but not on keylabs underneath everything is held on with very thin,brittle plastic so eventually the bumpers break and the keys become lose and flop about in the keybed and eventually totally snap off.
when I had to return mine after having it 2 months it then took a further month to get it returned to me fixed..and I say fixed with sarcasm because I didn't get my keyboard back I got another one which looks older than the one I sent for repairs and it had red marker on it which wasn't there when I sent it in for repairs.

when I spoke to the retailer I bought it from he said hes had complaints from everyone who bought the keylabs and now hes had faults with minibrutes too all having same broken keys.

whats shocking is the keylab could have been absolutely superb the casing is high quality,the wood ends add a little retro chic,the white paint looks classy,the blue leds look cool,its got a weighty feel too it ..it does look amazing but then you touch the keys and all your feelings go away and you end up disappointed and wish you hadn't bought it.

if your looking to buy a controller go elsewere ..arturia can build great items such as the spark controller and make great but very buggy software but which ever company there paying to make there keyboards they need to get rid of them or at the very least put decent keys in them the keylabs are a shocking blip in your companys legacy.

Just wondered if this issue has been forgotten. I have just purchased the Arturia Minicab with hardware controller and it does not respond in Studio One V3. Please can David look into this. The unit and plug in worked perfect in logic x but crashed studio one

Kraznet wrote:I was looking at the Keylab 49 and it looks interesting but seeing of the reports of problems has made me think again. Are the problems with encoders not responding etc still ongoing?
Their current keyboards are terrible quality. Definite "do not buy." Go talk to someone at Guitar Center or your local retailer to see how many of the floor models end up with non-functional keys and encoders. Sad, because the previous versions were pretty decent build quality.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Arturia”