MUX and the Recorder module

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New to MUX so maybe this is covered somewhere but I couldn't find it if so... anyway,

I was hoping to record audio at various points using the recorder module in MUX to basically allow me to play back raw guitar signals and do some signal chain a/b comparisons. I'm using savihost so I can basically use MUX as a standalone more or less and it's working well so far other than this issue... when I go to insert Modules->Others according to the docs there should be 5 modules available, one of them being "Audio File Recorder", but it's not there at all. Looking at the doc I find a disclaimer "The Audio File Recorder is only available in the Session Modular Area, not (yet) in the MUX modular areas". But then clicking on the link for "Session Modular Area" it says "The Session Modular Area is the modular root MUX of your session..." which I take to mean is the "parent" MUX session, which I would think would be the one I am in (especially since I don't have any MUX's inside of MUX's).

Entirely possible I'm misunderstanding though... anyway any input appreciated. Thanks!

The docs indeed needed to be made a bit more clear wrt MUX Modular Plug-In. Done so, see http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common ... n-mux.html

In MUX Modular Plug-In the MUX you're dealing with is not the session modular area aka root MUX, but a standard MUX inserted in the plug-in instance session modular area. The fact that MUX Modular Plug-In is about a standard MUX inserted in a (hidden) session modular area makes it easy and straightforward to load/save regular MUX presets, open/edit front panels etc. In MUX Modular Plug-In you don't need to access the session modular area.

Now this has the consequence that indeed the audio file recorder module is not yet accessible in MUX Modular Plug-In. I'll work on a solution.

Thanks for the detailed reply... so basically I'm taking it that the recorder function is only available for now in MUX when running under MuLab (please correct me if that's wrong). It's not a problem as there a 3rd party vst's that will cover it for now (Mirax and Melda for anyone else interested) but would have just used the integrated one if available. Again, thanks for your quick replies...

Out of curiosity, if I used MuLab Free as my MUX host instead of savihost would the recorder/player module then be available? And if so would the one MUX instance I would use be limited to 8 vst/vsti's? I'm assuming it would be limited but since it is a paid for MUX maybe not so worth asking... thx

chrisby wrote:Out of curiosity, if I used MuLab Free as my MUX host instead of savihost would the recorder/player module then be available?
Not if you're using MUX Modular Plug-In i.e. as a VST plug-in. For the reasons i explained before. But if you're using MuLab you don't need to use MUX Modular Plug-In as MUX Modular is fully integrated in MuLab. And yes you can use audio recorders in MuLab, currently only in the session modular area = root MUX. That's most probably gonna change in a future version, then audio recorders (and hopefully also event recorders) will be possible on any modular level and also in MUX Modular Plug-In.

mutools wrote:
chrisby wrote:Out of curiosity, if I used MuLab Free as my MUX host instead of savihost would the recorder/player module then be available?
Not if you're using MUX Modular Plug-In i.e. as a VST plug-in. For the reasons i explained before. But if you're using MuLab you don't need to use MUX Modular Plug-In as MUX Modular is fully integrated in MuLab. And yes you can use audio recorders in MuLab, currently only in the session modular area = root MUX. That's most probably gonna change in a future version, then audio recorders (and hopefully also event recorders) will be possible on any modular level and also in MUX Modular Plug-In.

Great, thanks... that get's me half way there... since I only want to record the unprocessed signal at the "top of the chain" and also play back from the same point, if I record from the session MUX and then feed that signal into a "child" MUX (which is a paid for MUX) will it be subject to the same 8 vst/vsti limit? I'm assuming it would but if not that'll be the way I go.... thanks again and sorry if these questions seem dense.

If you are using MuLab and using MUX integrated there is no limit on the number of MUXes you can use. The 8 vst limit only applies to vst plugins.

Return to “MUTOOLS”