Bug - Plug-ins render end of preview in sample editors when looping

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Using sample editors like Soundforge, Audition and Wavelab with short files like drum hits you generally preview the processing while looping it before applying the effect. When doing this with Melda plugins, the end of the preview will be rendered into the start of the file when the effect is applied. You can avoid this bug by not previewing the plug-in before applying or not looping while preview.

I've reproduced this in both Adobe Audition and Wavosaur (which is free) on Windows, unfortunately I dont have Soundforge or Wavelab. Melda plug-ins are not the only plug ins to suffer from this, but most of the major plugin companies have fixed this issue.

Here is an original bass drum file:
Eq 1.jpg
Here is it after having a MDynamicEQ applied with a peak EQ reducing the lower-mids, this was WITHOUT previewing, and is how it should look:
Eq 2.jpg
Here is the same effect applied, but after having loop previewed it; as you can see at the beginning of the file, there's a bass wobble at the start of the file:
Eq 3.jpg

Like i said, this seems to be related to looping. I noticed I can also reproduce with looping switched off by previewing the audio and stopping it half way through the file. Essentially it seems to be holding on to the last piece of the audio after previewing and it throws this in the start of the rendered file. Hope that makes sense.

I work with thousands of small files, so processing like this is common.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'll check it out! I'm just a little worried that the host may not be initializing the plugin before processing, and just assume that the look would do the trick, which is just plain wrong and in that case I wouldn't fix it in any case. But before I get to any assumptions, I'll check first.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Ok, I'm going to need some help :D. I tried in Wavelab, which I know the best, and I have no idea how to do this "preview". So I checked Wavosaur, no idea either... Finally Audition, you guessed it, no idea. I added a plugin to the effects chain of the "single file", hit render, it changed the wave, nothing weird was there, save, nothing weird in the saved file...

So how can I simulate this?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thank you for looking into this.

The issue seems to only present itself in Audition when opening the plugin NOT in the FX chain, which is what you tried.

In Audition, Go to Effects and select the Melda VST from the list. That brings up the plug in window directly rather than putting it in the FX chain.
Audition Effects 1.jpg
Remember to enable looping, play the file in looping and hit apply
Audition Effects 2.jpg

In wavosaur, I could reproduce it with the FX chain by doing the following (you can see from the start of the file here the result), again remember to set up looping and play the first before applying:
Wavosaur 3.jpg
Hope that helps! Thanks again :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for the info!

Now, I haven't tried yet, but I see a problem here - in Audition you said "don't forget to enable looping". Are you sure you are using this feature the way you should? Because to me it looks like it is aimed to a completely different thing - it should do exactly what it does! The point is that if you enable looping, you want the audio to smoothly connect, because these are "LOOPS"! So the host takes the look and processes it multiple times, because this way if it was connected before, it will be after as well!
Vojtech

Well, remember that sound editors (as opposed to DAW's) are often for short sounds, by enabling looping you can hear the sound over and over without having to keep hitting play (which is a problem with Audition as you know from my other post about the keyboard). I often work with short sounds and dont want to have to hit play repeatedly when I'm trying to find the right frequency to filter.

I think the important thing to note is that other plug-ins do not have this problem. I did not see this issue with Waves for example.

To be fair though, it's a relatively minor problem and I can work around it. I'm more concerned with the keyboard issue from the other bug as that problem makes this one much worse as I have to do a lot more clicking if I can't use the space bar to play back without looping.

Understand, but as I proposed it could be intentional. Anyway I'm discussing this with Adobe right now. Working the keyboard problem as well ;).
Vojtech

Thank you! That's awesome.

Return to “MeldaProduction”