Sustain pedal works with computer keyboard, but not real keyboard

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a quick look on the file: loads without problems, nothing strange so far. As I`m only on my little laptop tonight I will have to put it on one of my other pcs tomorrow where I have some keyboards available to really do a live test with sustain pedal. So I will be back tomorrow. But to be honest: atm I have no clue what could be the reason for this strange behavior...

good night and regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Hi,

I installed everything on my bigger studio-PC an connected a Yamaha Motif on the MIDI-in side with a sustain pedal attached to it and loaded your setup. The result is as expected: everything worked flawlessly, sustain could be controlled without any problems. :?

Atm I`m running out of ideas. One last idea is to put the MIDI-monitor as a second plugin into the same rack where 4front piano already resides. MIDI-monitor can then track every information sent to the 4front.

sorry I have no better news,

regards, humphrey
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

I was looking on-line for some ideas.

I'm using Windows 8.1, and I've seen some online comments which indicate that there might be some MIDI mapping problems (or at least restrictions) with WIndows 8.X. I don't know enough about all this to know if it might be related to the problem.

What OS are you using?

Ricmat

Small laptop: win7 x64
Big laptop: win8.1
PC (the machine I made last test on): win8.1 Pro
Never had any midi issues in any of the machines and i'm running lots of lines (real MIDI, MIDI over usb, MIDI over ethernet) in parallel...

regards, humphrey

Thank you for your efforts Humphrey. It seems like the end of the road for now. If I figure this out or have any ideas, I'll come back and post them here for the benefit of anyone else who might have the same problem.

Best Regards,

Ricmat

Sure! Feel free to post here again.

Meanwhile good luck with your setup (and I`d really be eager to understand what was going on here "under the hood" if you get it managed some day).

kind regards, humphrey

One more data point....

I just installed Anvil Studio, and the sustain pedal works OK with 4Frontpiano. So my problem must be either a setup problem, or a bug in Canabile.

Anvil is too difficult to use IMHO, and I'd prefer Cantibile, but the sustain pedal is critical for me.

Thanks again.

Ricmat

Hm, of course it could be a bug in cantabile but I downloaded the lite version specially for testing (normally I use the performer version).

So: if it is a cantabile bug it must be circumstances bundled to your setup.

On the other hand: you need a working system and no riddles about reasons for failing. So, if you have a software that does the job simply take it.

Regards, humphrey

Thanks for your help, Humphrey. I know that you were working late into the night to try to find an answer. I just loaded Lite on a totally different W8.1 laptop, and still get the same results, so this may remain a mystery for a long time.

Have a good day, and best wishes to you!

Ricmat

Progress at last.

After trying Lite out on a second W8.1 laptop (and still having the sustain pedal problem).

And after trying to run Lite on Wine under Linux (unsuccessful).

I tried downloading Cantabile Solo (trial) on my original W8.1 laptop. It didn't work out of the box, but I found a hint in an online forum. Old Roland pianos send a CC123 all notes off message after all keys are lifted, even if the sustain pedal is pushed. So I set up a "MIDI Assignment" of controller 123 on channel 1, to something innocuous - "Select Metronome Time Signature."

THIS HAD THE DESIRED EFFECT. I tried the sustain pedal with a number of VST pianos, and they all worked.

I have to go back now and figure out how to do this in Cantabile Lite.

If anyone else has a better solution, please let me know. I'm new to all this, but this doesn't look like an optimum solution.

Ricmat

Glad you got sorted, this of course explains the strange behavior.

Generally spoken MIDI filters (in detail the suppress event filter) would be the right way to fix this, but these are only available in solo and performer. On the orher hand: in the comparison list controller assigments also seem to need solo or performer version (?). How did you manage this in lite?

Regards, humphrey

I'm using a trial 30 day version of Solo right now. I never got back to trying it in Lite. Since you point out that it won't work in Lite, that will save me from wasting any more time with Lite.

Ricmat

Return to “Topten Software”