Your 2014 Limiter Choice (EDM Material)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:My choice? None that I know of :hihi:

Every one I've tried doesn't do anything I can't achieve by simply moving the master into the red :ud:

I was kinda talked out of the slate one in another thread but now that I devirginized my computer by using ilok, I think I'll put some interest into it. I have an unregistered copy of xenon but when I demoed it it just didn't float my boat. Again, if the point is to "push" the audio then I've used nothing that doesn't pump and over compress.

link re the slate thread?

i was one originally against the slate and then Steven showed me how to use it properly and the mistakes I had made, sorry but it's very very good. The thing is you need to be bothered to spend time with it and not just crank one knob. That's what barricade will do for you, you can crank one knob and it always works, so in that respect and vs price, it's a steal.

i am not saying this is you i am just curious why you were talked out of it. The only thing I don't like about it is lack of isp protection but Steven insists that's a wank but to satisfy everyone he is adding it in the 64 bit update.

I'm not sure I'm following. BTW you scared me for a minute, but windoze is x64.

I can't remember why I was talked out of it or who did.

hibidy wrote:I'm not sure I'm following. BTW you scared me for a minute, but windoze is x64.

I can't remember why I was talked out of it or who did.

Oh i didn't realise the windows version was already X64. Sorry about that.

I meant to have a link to the topic that talked negatively about the slate.

All good, no matter.

I can't remember. But I've rid myself of one problem, now I'm looking for another :D

FG-X Is what I use but its not compatible with large RAM projects. Pro L is what I would use.

After trying many limiters, not sure any can really limit without distortion.
So now I prefer PSP Vintage Warmer 2. It distorts like any limiter, but it is a pleasing analog effect that often makes tracks sound better not worse!
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

I'm testing this limiter and it's on sale right now. I like what I hear!!

http://www.kuassa.com/products/kratos-maximizer/

manducator wrote:I'm testing this limiter and it's on sale right now. I like what I hear!!

http://www.kuassa.com/products/kratos-maximizer/

Hmm need to give that another go.. kuassa are RE active and perhaps could get the forum to request this as their next one if any good.. RE limiter choices so far are terrible, except for the ok ish stripped down ozone, but the latency is huge (and no compensation in reason).

Kaboom75 wrote:FG-X Is what I use but its not compatible with large RAM projects.
???

Thanks everyone for posting your opinion in this thread, it is very much appreciated. A special thanks to TheoM also for additional recommendations/help via PM. Out of everything I demoed I personally really liked the Pro L, Elephant and Barricade.
Last edited by -Jay- on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pro L. In fact Fabfilter for everything. I want to sell all my other mixing plugins, because I've stopped using them.

Codestation wrote:Pro L. In fact Fabfilter for everything. I want to sell all my other mixing plugins, because I've stopped using them.
Yeah I'm incredibly tempted to pay the extra even though the Barricade sounds good as well.

Pro-L is on my shopping list, too. FabFilter's stuff is so awesome that I find myself looking for excuses to use them. Easily the best user interfaces .. and awesome sound quality, too.

nineofkings wrote:I find that chaining limiters and clippers to play to their strengths is the best way to go. It's the only way I can get my tracks to a respectable level without it turning into pumpy ass (maybe that speaks to a lack of skill in mixing? idk). I use Reaper's JS soft_clipper -> Clipshifter -> The free version of Maxwell Smart. That way I can shave soft peaks, cut excessively sharp transients, then raise the RMS level.
That's true, I always use a clipper prior to the master limiter, it's like i'm making the limiter's job easier, thus it can deliver better results. It's like painting a metal -> use primer first, then use your color of choice.

Pro-L & Elephant.

Return to “Effects”