Any Spectrasonics news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

I would love something from them in the future, but until that day I continue to use their existing stuff all the time.

beely wrote:
chk071 wrote:For me, that's just an indicator that people expect foruming, twittering, facebooking and what not these days, to see "something is going on".
No, it's not that. Look,, if Native Instruments hadn't released a *single* new product or major upgrade... or anything, for five years, you'd think something was a bit weird, no..?
chk071 wrote:I'm sure they are indeed there, and busy, and working hard on awesome stuff. ;) Why is that so important anyway? Is their software buggy? Do you feel you're bored with their stuff, and want something new?
No, it's not that. None of this is about the quality of their talent, or products. Yes, I'm a Spectrasonics user and love their stuff (although RMX is a little dated in usability terms). It's simply that it's been too long - and Eric has already posted a year or so ago they he thought they messed up a little by doing something big which takes too long to get to market, rather than spreading things about (I forget the location of that post but it's around) for exactly the reasons outlined.

We love their stuff, and we want more of it. It's like having a best friend you love to see drop off the face of the earth for years - you just miss them, and would really love them to pop round for a catch up... ;)
I was writing a longwinded reply to your first post here, but I'm glad I saw this because we're not too terribly different in our emotional attachment here, but...

Spectrasonics may have been comparable in some ways to NI 12 years ago, but clearly they have stayed as far away from each other as possible in both concept & execution. If NI didn't release a major update in 3 & a half years (I'd argue Omnisphere 1.5 was) I'd have arched innumerable eyebrows because they have a gazillion products which are not completely perfect and customer support ain't cheap.

Spectrasonics has maintained sales of Omnisphere have been steady since its original release which is pretty amazing considering everything else released about that time can be had much cheaper now.

The launch of Trilian didn't go well (we all know the reasons) but good sales do not heal wounds - they change thought processes.

So now no one has any idea what they're doing. Total Willy Wonka thing going on there. We do know EP has great plans for RMX, or did. We know that Omnisphere is evolving everyday, or was...

And we know they won't announce anything until it's available.

I understand completely. I understand that I might not be able to afford a ridiculously cheap upgrade price (ok, that's a lie), but how am I going to get it?

I know people with the fastest internet speeds in Houston, but I don't think I'll be downloading Omnisphere 2.0 even in a future universe, and I don't trust anyone in my local Guitar Center...

So I guess I want a crumb. I want Spectrasonics to ask me for money (I don't need to know what it's for) and maybe eventually drop something down my chimney? They know my address.

Much kvetching with much love here. 'Tis the season.

I clearly missed it. I wasn't even aware that the launch of Trilian didn't go well.

edit:
Never mind.
I completely forgot about that

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/4243075-post1.html

rsp
sound sculptist

beely wrote:
chk071 wrote:For me, that's just an indicator that people expect foruming, twittering, facebooking and what not these days, to see "something is going on".
No, it's not that. Look,, if Native Instruments hadn't released a *single* new product or major upgrade... or anything, for five years, you'd think something was a bit weird, no..?
chk071 wrote:I'm sure they are indeed there, and busy, and working hard on awesome stuff. ;) Why is that so important anyway? Is their software buggy? Do you feel you're bored with their stuff, and want something new?
No, it's not that. None of this is about the quality of their talent, or products. Yes, I'm a Spectrasonics user and love their stuff (although RMX is a little dated in usability terms). It's simply that it's been too long - and Eric has already posted a year or so ago they he thought they messed up a little by doing something big which takes too long to get to market, rather than spreading things about (I forget the location of that post but it's around) for exactly the reasons outlined.

We love their stuff, and we want more of it. It's like having a best friend you love to see drop off the face of the earth for years - you just miss them, and would really love them to pop round for a catch up... ;)
Ok, point understood and taken. :D

ATS wrote:They are folding up shop in two weeks
OH LORD NO!

Any speculation prior to NAMM seems pointless to me.
If they have a booth this year, they may be doing something other than riding the hype of the past.

If not, and Ilio is their sole showing... EP is probably headed for the beach for cocktails.

Ask for news again in February.

I don`t understand what people want from an update.
I am using his products since 2003 and never had any hassle.
I don`t need Wavetables, Sampleimport etc. from Spectrasonics. For this I have other synths.
If they implement new things, it is fine with me, if not, I don`t care.

If I want warm, analog punch ITB I choose Omnisphere, Trillian and Stylus RMX.
If I mix these 3 I have the BIG EXPENSIVE SOUND ITB without further mixing.
The Modulation Options/EFX/ARP are for me still the best and easiest of any synth out there.

I hope Mr. Persing enjoys his cocktails. Prost:-D

Stanoli wrote:I don`t understand what people want from an update.
I am using his products since 2003 and never had any hassle.
I don`t need Wavetables, Sampleimport etc. from Spectrasonics. For this I have other synths.
If they implement new things, it is fine with me, if not, I don`t care.

If I want warm, analog punch ITB I choose Omnisphere, Trillian and Stylus RMX.
If I mix these 3 I have the BIG EXPENSIVE SOUND ITB without further mixing.
The Modulation Options/EFX/ARP are for me still the best and easiest of any synth out there.

I hope Mr. Persing enjoys his cocktails. Prost:-D
I'm with you. An update just for the sake of an update isn't necessarily a good thing. look at the recent debacle with the Iris update. Not good. A new product with some pizazz maybe? fine then.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

anyone recall how quite the spectrasonics were before major or new releases? maybe something soon?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:anyone recall how quite the spectrasonics were before major or new releases? maybe something soon?
Before Omnisphere they did a competition with several Omnisphere loops. I remember how mind-blowing the sound was then. Completely new, can they really do that kind of innovation again ? A lot more very talented players in the field now. If anyone can they can.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

For me as a user of all three products for less than 1 year, maybe I'm in the minority. I have become heavily invested in these three products as my primary tools. I'm not looking for constant updates, but from my limited experience with them it makes me a little nervous. In today's "Everyone must have a Social Media Platform" world where you have many constant touches, Spectrasonics style can seem out of touch. Maybe they do an end-of-year patch promotion for Charity like with Bob Moog or Hurricane Katrina. I would just like to knowing they are still in the shop building or honing the next great thing and keeping current stuff alive.

It sounds like those with many years of experience with these guys are saying to chill. I'm cool. Just don't call me Hunny Bunny. 8)

The real offender here is Stylus. It's horribly out of date on every level -- sound, interface, programming options. Great for it's time but...that time has passed.

I'd love to see a new UI on Omnisphere (I'm one of the haters who otherwise loves the instrument) but I won't be holding my breath ;) Sample Import? Sure, it'd be nice.....really nice :P

woodsdenis wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:anyone recall how quite the spectrasonics were before major or new releases? maybe something soon?
Before Omnisphere they did a competition with several Omnisphere loops. I remember how mind-blowing the sound was then. Completely new, can they really do that kind of innovation again ? A lot more very talented players in the field now. If anyone can they can.
When Spectrasonics released Atmosphere, Trilogy and Stylus back in 2003 it was the first time that there were professional big production synthsounds available ITB for the average computermusician.

That was the revolution. It was unbelievable.

Eric Persing used all his experience, the best synths recorded through the best outboard equipment there is. And (nearly) all of the digital effects that are available today were existent already back then. He also used all of that for soundsculpting.

Before that there were wimpy softsynths with nearly no processingpower (1GHZ), and now suddenly with each patch you had the sound of the expensive studios in your computer.

Omnisphere`s analog quality is still state of the art. Just listen to the 2700+ Soundsources.

Would love for those guys to make a box and take my sorry excuse for vocals, plug it into their new thingy virtual box, and be able to sound just like Steve Perry (old Journey) or Janis Joplin or (pick one u like and place here)... Id buy it in a heartbeat! The nice thing about this dream is, I bet they can do it!!!

Stanoli wrote:Omnisphere`s analog quality is still state of the art.
That's one part out of how many that Omni purports to be?

And in that realm, it's falling behind compared to what's being offered these days too.
It did what it did, and for many that will be enough.
But then again, I know people that still believe nothing beats their trusty M1.

Return to “Instruments”