Slate VCC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really happy that VCC is only 29 bucks.....but what exactly is it supposed to do? :lol: (Ok, this is only for the RC-tube. The full VCC isn't on sale currently)

I make a quick a/b with multiout drums, one I loaded a version of VCC onto every track, the other w/o. Bounced them. Couldn't hear anything. Then I put a bus version on the supposed "VCC'ed" track and had a listen. No discernible diff.

(I'll do it again now that I can hear some stuff better. I wonder if I wasn't just too quick. Still, I'm surprised I could notice SOMETHING)

I know what you are thinking, "then don't get it" but I really wanted to hear from people who own it and use it first (or people with opinions). Will also look at some viddys.... (I had actually already seen those viddys and it's FAR more obvious in them than I'm heaing. I'll have to keep testing.....)

EDITED. locked as it's gotten kinda funky.
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

VCC is only $29? Is that the RC-Tube version?

Anyway, to answer your question: the difference between a mix with VCC on and off should be pretty apparent even if the difference of having it on individual tracks is not. What it does however depends on how it's used. For instance, it can add depth and some width to the mix without even driving it too hard. When driven, it creates a hyped high end that I'm not a big fan of, but others might think sounds slick.

I tend to just put it on by default now and mix with it on from the start. Turning off VCC instances afterwards will make the mixes sound flatter (not frequency response, but flatter in terms of excitement, width, depth). Note: there's usually a slight volume difference too, so some of this may be the "louder is better" effect, but in reality, I don't want to spend too much time over thinking that.

So perhaps try that approach. Take a project you have, delete all effects, center all channels, and drop all your faders down. Now insert an instance of VCC at the start of each track, and group them (in case you want to adjust the level or drive). Now just mix as you normally would. Once you're happy with the mix, shut off VCC. Do you prefer the mix with it off or on?

If you're still not hearing a difference though, then don't bother. That's $30 you could use for something else.

Well, I'm a little embarrassed because I've opened one of my larger projects in live and CAN hear it :oops:

Honestly, I think I'm losing my mind :nutter:

FFS!

God I need to learn to read :bang:

This version has ONE console :roll: Great. Just as I was starting to understand it :x

Here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrn7DLuIzs

:roll:

Still interested in anyones thoughts though on these.

hibidy wrote:I'm really happy that VCC is only 29 bucks.....but what exactly is it supposed to do? :lol:
Well, you are(!) talking about VCC RC-Tube, which is the "appetizer" to get into the full suite. At the current deal, you even get an iLok2 on top of it, and you can snag VMR's "free shell" as well.

hibidy wrote:I make a quick a/b with multiout drums, one I loaded a version of VCC onto every track, the other w/o. Bounced them. Couldn't hear anything. Then I put a bus version on the supposed "VCC'ed" track and had a listen. No discernible diff.
I'm surprised that you can't hear anything, because this is the most aggressive console of the bunch.

A KVRian asked me years ago to compare VCC with VoS' bus saturation tool. And I showed him what damage could be done with properly gain staged signals (read: around -18dBFS / 0VU), slightly overdriven (+2dB), and re-recorded over and over and over (from tape -> console -> tape. Played back again from tape -> console -> stereo mix.

Result can be quite devastating. In both a good and bad way. Good in form of "it has it's own character", bad in form of "nya... I need to compensate with a hi-shelf."

hibidy wrote:I know what you are thinking, "then don't get it" but I really wanted to hear from people who own it and use it first (or people with opinions). Will also look at some viddys....
I use VCC in RC-Tube mode together with very limited EQ's - i.e. the Altec 9063b to simulate an "US-type REDD.37" - especially if I'm after a super-vintage sound. Else, if you're eying the full suite, I love the Trident 80b and NEVE 80xx Preamp modes.

Oh and videos...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Slate+VCC

And let's not forget, the ultimate answer to the age-long debate as of "what is better":
http://youtu.be/s0-uKeRNryE
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

hibidy wrote:FFS!

God I need to learn to read :bang:

This version has ONE console :roll: Great. Just as I was starting to understand it :x
According to the Slate web store, the $29 starter (with Ilok) is upgradable for a current sale price of an additional $49. Total $78 compared to the current $99 sale price of the full VCC. :shrug: go figure.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Is VCC going to get an update ?

hibidy wrote:I'm really happy that VCC is only 29 bucks.....but what exactly is it supposed to do? :lol:

I make a quick a/b with multiout drums, one I loaded a version of VCC onto every track, the other w/o. Bounced them. Couldn't hear anything. Then I put a bus version on the supposed "VCC'ed" track and had a listen. No discernible diff.

I know what you are thinking, "then don't get it" but I really wanted to hear from people who own it and use it first (or people with opinions). Will also look at some viddys....
I must tell you I am with you on that.
I am sure a few years from now, Steven and Fabrice will say... Got YA!!!

I got it years ago and really couldn't hear the difference with it on or off.. I eventually stopped using it.

rsp

edit: I see you can hear it now :-)
I really can't..sometimes I think I can, sometimes I know I can't.
rsp
sound sculptist

The Emperor's new plugin

zvenx wrote:

I know what you are thinking, "then don't get it" but I really wanted to hear from people who own it and use it first (or people with opinions). Will also look at some viddys....
I must tell you I am with you on that.
I am sure a few years from now, Steven and Fabrice will say... Got YA!!!

I got it years ago and really couldn't hear the difference with it on or off.. I eventually stopped using it.

rsp

edit: I see you can hear it now :-)
I really can't..sometimes I think I can, sometimes I know I can't.
rsp
They're definitely adding quite a lot of harmonics and altering the frequency response (big changes here if you really start driving it). The Neve model has a giant low-end bump too. If you're hipassing all your tracks you won't hear it, but put it on a track with some lows and you should definitely notice the added weight.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes I think from memory only when I really started to drive it did I hear something. Could be an emperor's volume knob :-)

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Yes I think from memory only when I really started to drive it did I hear something. Could be an emperor's volume knob :-)

rsp
Biggest downside to VCC is the Emperor's lack of clean output gain/trim (so you can really push it and volume match). Version 2 is supposed to add this, and it's alleged that we'll get it in January (Slate just sent an email today saying they're still on target for early January).

bludreamsounds wrote:Is VCC going to get an update ?
Yes - eventually.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:They're definitely adding quite a lot of harmonics and altering the frequency response (big changes here if you really start driving it). The Neve model has a giant low-end bump too. If you're hipassing all your tracks you won't hear it, but put it on a track with some lows and you should definitely notice the added weight.
Can't confirm that - sorry.

zvenx wrote:Yes I think from memory only when I really started to drive it did I hear something. Could be an emperor's volume knob :-)
I get the analogy to "The Emperors new Clothes", but actually... the hotspot of the signal is if the needle is hovering betwen -2VU and +1VU. Want more "flavor", bump it up to +3VU on occasion.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Biggest downside to VCC is the Emperor's lack of clean output gain/trim (so you can really push it and volume match). Version 2 is supposed to add this,
Biggest downside is, that you only have +/-6dB as gain/trim.

The "pushing" can be evaded with (for example) MUtility in front of the plugin, and then again post the plugin. While one plugin boosts x-amount of dB, and thee other cuts x-amount of dB. This is how I sometimes overdrive sub groups or the sum.

And I did not read that this will be part of VCC v2 (input/output gain - though yes, higher gain/trim values might finally happen!)?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:and it's alleged that we'll get it in January (Slate just sent an email today saying they're still on target for early January).
At this stage, I expect beta testing by his team in January, and a release around February/March. Remember, Christmas holidays and such. We talk about Steven Slate, who wants to release ASAP, but testing can/will always delay things. So I'm only realistic here.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Thanks Compyfox, will try that.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”