arpeggiator + vsti = no midi control

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

I tried chaining an arpeggiator with a vsti in a rack (BlueArp http://www.graywolf2004.net/my-projects ... peggiator/ + Muon Tau). When I do this, I can't seem to control the Tau synth parametes with my midi controller. Would this be expected, or are there any work arounds?

I think this situation must not be that unique really - using some type of arpeggiator with a bassline synth. Is there another way to do similar functions in MuLab? Is there a built-in step sequencer?

sluggo wrote:I tried chaining an arpeggiator with a vsti in a rack (BlueArp http://www.graywolf2004.net/my-projects ... peggiator/ + Muon Tau). When I do this, I can't seem to control the Tau synth parametes with my midi controller. Would this be expected, or are there any work arounds?
Some background info: Each plug-in module has its own MIDI controller map. It is the focused plug-in module (cfr the focused module panel at the top-right in the main MuLab window) that defines where MIDI input is routed to. Now when right-clicking a MUX parameter and doing Map MIDI Controller, the mapping will automatically be stored in the focused module's MIDI map. So you can immediately use it as it's setup. But mapping MIDI controllers to VST plug-in parameters works slightly different as MUX has no control over the VST UI, so therefore give the target parameter a tweak, then go to the VST plug-in's context menu (in the MUX UI) and do "Map MIDI Controller". That's what you did i assume. But the issue is that now the mapping is stored in that VST plug-in's MIDI map, not in the focused module map. And so if the focus is on the rack, and the incoming MIDI controller events are going into the rack, but the arpegiator does not pass thru these controller events, then the VST does not receive the events and so it does not work as you would want.

Solution is to store the MIDI mapping in the focused module's MIDI map i.e. the rack containing the VST. So right-click the rack -> Map MIDI Controller and set it up as you want. That should work.

I assume that this is not a real fun workaround, so what about adding a "Map MIDI Controller to X" function where X is the last tweaked parameter and so that this function writes into the focused module's MIDI map instead of this VST's MIDI map. To accentuate the difference between the two adjacent functions "Map MIDI Controller to X" and "Map MIDI Controller" the new function could be called "Map MIDI Controller to X Into Focused Module Map" but that's quite long for a menu option, or "Map MIDI Controller to X (F)" but that may be too cryptic. Suggestions welcome.
Is there a built-in step sequencer?
Depends on what you exactly have in mind. Yes each sequence has a context menu "Step Sequencer" with which you can program the sequence using the incoming MIDI notes. Combined with the Sequence Player module this can be real creative fun. A more traditional step sequencer module also is on the wishlist.

To accentuate the difference between the two adjacent functions "Map MIDI Controller to X" and "Map MIDI Controller" the new function could be called "Map MIDI Controller to X Into Focused Module Map" but that's quite long for a menu option, or "Map MIDI Controller to X (F)" but that may be too cryptic. Suggestions welcome.
If one was doing this would it not be the "focused Module" and therefore not necessary to call it such, thereby making the menu entry shorter ? if you see what I mean :?:
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:If one was doing this would it not be the "focused Module"
With "this" you mean the current "Map MIDI Controller" function in the VST menu? No, that function will map it in that specific VST's MIDI map.
Both the "Map MIDI Controller" and "Edit MIDI Controller Map" in a plug-in module's context manu are always about that specific module's MIDI map. Only the current "Map MIDI Controller" context function for a MUX parameter auto maps it into the focused module's MIDI map. I understand that there might be some confusion about the function names. Functionality-wise it's ok as it is, it's only about making clear what function does what. Suggestions welcome.

Ok thanks
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Thinking loud, what about this: When the MIDI controller mapping will be stored in the currently focused module, then the function could be called "Automap MIDI Controller". Then i could add a VST context function "Automap MIDI Controller to X" where X is the last tweaked VST parameter. Or would that be confusing with Novation's Automap?

Perhaps "Auto-map" instead of "Automap"?

It would avoid the confusion. And I don't know but perhaps the term "Automap" is licensed by Novation...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

+1

How about reducing 'MIDI Controller' to either 'MC' or 'MIDI Ctrlr' or 'MIDI C' or just 'MIDI' ?

ie. Map MIDI Ctrlr to focused

Return to “MUTOOLS”