Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

fluffy_little_something wrote:I don't think the unpredictable character was really that important, it was not that unpredictable, anyway, except tuning issues, which however you won't hear on records.
Frankly, I think the key was that they made better use of synths back then, which also means more sparse use of synths. Often there were just 1 to 3 synths sounds in a song, while the rest was all real instruments, be it acoustic, be it electric. So synths were special as they made sounds that the familiar real instruments could not make. But today synths are way too present in music, so people feel like they need to make ever more spectacular and complex patches to impress. In the past a simple Oberheim pad was often enough to do the trick, and those simple sound still appeal if they are embedded in good music.
Very good post.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Chris-S wrote:http://chris-s.bplaced.net/div/hive_acid.mp3

:tu:
it's the acidity patch with some distortion.
That's great.

Chris-S wrote:http://chris-s.bplaced.net/div/hive_acid.mp3

:tu:
it's the acidity patch with some distortion.
Nicely done. Not exactly the same, but sounds good.

Did you need any specific 'tricks' to get there with hive?

It's not my patch, only added some distortion.

You find it in the hive thread in u-he subforum where all the 300 Community patches are posted.

Trancit wrote:Perhaps not on topic, but because it´s about a synth, which is not finaly developed, I would like to bring this up:

What I always missed in most synth filters, is the ability of having a kind of volume compensation (not compensation of high resonance, which on the other hand would be nice and I´ve seen this first time in Logic 5 with the internal instruments and the "Fat Mode" of their filters...this was when???? 2000 or 2001) ...

If we are talking about Unison synths, we talk as well about instruments used 95% in electronic music, which means music with more or less no "dynamic"... a music, which is nearly all the time "on top" regarding the loudness...

On the other hand, it´s a kind of music, which is based heavily on mostly LP modulated/automated sounds/patches...

Now my question: why on earth is there nearly no virtuell instrument, which offers (at least the option) a LP filter, which compensates the volume/loudness loss, while the filter is closing...
I know why this happens (the volume loss), but I know as well how much the volume loss of often 3-4db (perhaps sometimes more) can ruin the punch and power of a main sound, while the filter closes and I know, what PITA it can be to create a volume automation to compensate this manualy, because this volume loss is mostly not linear...

I don´t know, why I nearly never read about this topic, but I personaly don´t like LP filters, which loose too much gain...
Hi Trancit, synths lose volume when the LP filter closes, that's to be expected. They also lose volume if there is a resonance 'damper' that kicks in as soon as the resonance gets too high, and obviously you lose resonance the harder you drive the filter's input, therefore the lowering of volume despite increasing pre-filter gain. :scared:
The only synth I know which specifically addresses this issue is Saurus by Tone2. It has a tamed resonance mode, and an all balls to the wall mode, which can really scream.
I'm not sure that this directly answers your query, but it might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Apologies for the OT, back to Hive.... :tu:

Don't forget to look at EQ settings for any synth that "does it well". The Sylenth 303s are EQ'd, Dune2's 303 had me falling off my chair, but it's also EQ'd. So with Hive you'd have to get the sound in the ballpark, then distort and EQ to taste.
IIRC the 303 doesn't actually reach self-oscillation, so it's important to keep the res there but not whistling along, if you're looking for authentic sounds with attitude.

Chris-S wrote:It's not my patch, only added some distortion.

You find it in the hive thread in u-he subforum where all the 300 Community patches are posted.
Good job, sounds better to my ears than the Sylenth default 303 patch that was posted earlier. Having said that, I don't think that patch is the best example of Sylenth's acid capabilities.

For 303 better go for D16 Phoscyon.

After several days testing Hive (and Dune2), its UI is awesome. However I won't purchase it, it isn't enough. The lack of finetuning for each oscillator, it's a big no-no for me. It light on CPU compared to Diva, but it's CPU intensive when you compare it with Sylenth1 or Dune2. Almost the same CPU that a normal patch in Spire.

And, Imho, Sylenth1 still sounding more trancier. I hope Mac users can enjoy Sylenth1 soon with the upcoming update.

This would be my personal rank: :ud:

Spire > Dune 2 > Sylenth1 > Hive.

xalama qo wrote:Don't forget to look at EQ settings for any synth that "does it well". The Sylenth 303s are EQ'd, Dune2's 303 had me falling off my chair, but it's also EQ'd. So with Hive you'd have to get the sound in the ballpark, then distort and EQ to taste.
IIRC the 303 doesn't actually reach self-oscillation, so it's important to keep the res there but not whistling along, if you're looking for authentic sounds with attitude.
and if you remove the eq and fx how it sound?
when you ear some demo of synths like dune and sylenth, virus.. always ton of fx ..it's suspisious it can mean the dry sound is not impressing.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

I think I've never seen a synth 'killed' by another one, imho most synths are just different one form another, so this is an interesting thread. (or less ? )

To me a synth killing another one could happen if the killer synth could do exactly what the other does, and still having a definitive advantage ( les cpu, better price, more features, a mix of all this etc )

So first the killing unit should be able to match exactly sound wise what the soon to be defunct unit does. Some simple A/B comparisons clips should easily fix that, especially easy to do because the other synth is more than well spread. Do we have these a/b clips ?

Or are we just lead to conclude that these 2 synths are no more/less different than a bunch of other pairs of synths ?

Just my 0,0002 kopecks though.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:I think I've never seen a synth 'killed' by another one, imho most synths are just different one form another, so this is an interesting thread. (or less ? )

To me a synth killing another one could happen if the killer synth could do exactly what the other does, and still having a definitive advantage ( les cpu, better price, more features, a mix of all this etc )

So first the killing unit should be able to match exactly sound wise what the soon to be defunct unit does. Some simple A/B comparisons clips should easily fix that, especially easy to do because the other synth is more than well spread. Do we have these a/b clips ?

Or are we just lead to conclude that these 2 synths are no more/less different than a bunch of other pairs of synths ?

Just my 0,0002 kopecks though.
If one is looking at it from a totally logical point of view, you are 100% correct. :hug: .

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

ARP 303 Saw

Hive 303

There is a difference but it's close enough, no?

no.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Not even close. The second on is missing the "Thank you for trying this demo" so it's a miss.

.-.

Orbit-50 wrote:Not even close. The second on is missing the "Thank you for trying this demo" so it's a miss.
Haha. Yeah, that might be the key to it. :dog:

Return to “Instruments”