Which version of Cubase to install?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to install Cubase in a new computer soon and am wondering how far back should I go? I have installs for 6.5, 7, 7.5 and 8.0. I have read previously that certain versions were less stable than others, etc. Other people seem to be really happy with 8.0.

Not looking to read any long rants but would like a quick answer from people who have experience using the versions above.

Thanks!

Not filling your poster requirement - but had similar situation with Sonar.

And what I thought the most about ability to open old projects and possible plugins not shipped with daw anymore. They drop certain plugins as they go forwards.

Other things that came up was migrating to x64 host - plugins not loaded since x64 version had different id. So that could mean opening in 32-bit version to finalize.

What might applicable on Cubase here - you decide...

bioroid wrote:I'm going to install Cubase in a new computer soon and am wondering how far back should I go? I have installs for 6.5, 7, 7.5 and 8.0. I have read previously that certain versions were less stable than others, etc. Other people seem to be really happy with 8.0.
Which version was most stable for you on your previous computer?

I think the more pertinent question is whether you have any projects that use certain features or plugins that are only available in a specific Cubase version- that would determine which Cubase you need to install.

I've used every version from 5.0-7.5 and Of the ones you listed, I had the best experience with 7.5, both in usability and reliability.

I'm not touching 8.0 until at least the first service pack comes out.

I've been using Cubase Pro since 4, have been using 8 (64 Bit Win 8.1)) since release and have not had problems.
But then I don't use dozens of tracks (usually about 10) so can't comment for very large projects.
Also, I have not used every feature available, so I'm sure there will be something less than perfect somewhere.
My experience is that each version has been progressively more stable.
ColG

personally, 6.5 is enough for me, I'm tired of supporting those assholes.

UltimateOutsider wrote: Which version was most stable for you on your previous computer?
Last version I used to write completed songs was SX3. I got 6.5 and the upgrades with intention of getting back into writing, but life has been getting in the way and I haven't had a chance to seriously do anything. So it's going to be a clean start.

There are specific reasons to use prior versions. However, if you have a full C8 installer (not an upgrade that depends on a previous installation of the content), then I would only install C8.

One reasons to load older versions ... if you have older projects that are fully mixed using Cubase plugins, you may want to install the older versions, as upgrades have changed the EQs and compressors over time. Basically, you will probably be able to load old projects, but that seems to be where most of the bugs creep in. And, the project will likely "sound" different.

Another prime suspect for issues is the import of prior settings. If you do a clean C8 install with no other Cubase versions loaded, you will typically have fewer overall problems.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

You really might want to indicate your operating system and even CPU chip.
For instance, I'm encountering a decidedly less stable Cubase 5.5.3 under OSX 10.8.5, vs 10.6.8. I may have to restore.

The thing is if you're worried about stability, 8.0 is brand new and there are a bunch of plugin compatibility issues with it now. (see Steinberg forum) 7.5 is more likely to run smoothly until Steinberg and plugin vendors get in sync on Cubase 8.

The only plugin issue is that some plugins have secondary popup windows for presets that get lost behind the plugin. The plugins actually work fine. And, C8 has been extremely stable for the vast majority of users.

If that widely true, that would be the first .0 Cubase that wasn't rife with issues [IE: for many if not most], at least since SX1. I would totally not do 'mission critical' with a .0 Cubase. And I only ever used Cubase.

I think 'plugin compatibility' above must refer to third party plugins.

jancivil wrote:I think 'plugin compatibility' above must refer to third party plugins.
Yes, it's not a compatibility issue though for running the plugins, it's the new UI making it difficult to access some types of menus.

Also, C7 was extremely stable when it came out. I'm not saying either C7 or C8 didn't/don't have their share of goofy bugs. I'm just saying the programs actually run without crashing and perform pretty much all core functions. The biggest culprit of issues with C7 and 8 are caused by importing previous configurations and projects. Backwards compatibility is actually really hard to do.

Why not install 8 and test drive it for a few weeks?
Then if it's rubbish, step back to 7.5 and so on and so forth.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”