About mastering plugins...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uncle E wrote:
J4R1O wrote:Have you tried out Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor (made by Brainworx)?
I used to have a real Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor and I didn't like it. If I want the sound of an opto compressor feeding a feedback VCA compressor (which is just about never), I'd rather feed the UAD LA2A MK2 into the UAD Neve 33609.
WOW!! I knew I'd eventually find another person who didn't like the SHMC! :D

People look at me crazy when I say it's one of the most useless expensive pieces of gear ever created. I couldn't get anything useful out of it.. always ended up being annoyed. There's just something about it's compression action, both on the opto and VCA side that I thoroughly dislike. It's like it's always "wrong" in the way it compresses. The shapes being all messed up. It's one of the very few pieces of hardware that I just don't grok.

:tu:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

fese wrote: And it's fun, too, even if spending hours on a mix and then finding out it is not near to what you want it to sound and miles away from any reference can be quite frustrating.
Haha, that's the experience of almost everybody here: Fun + Frustration! :cry:

I think it is understandable that many soundworkers here distract from the mixing stage by turning towards the world of good looking pro-plugins. It's fun to debate about these polished GUIs with various knobs and meters in all colours. Maybe some of them are useful. Though my conviction is: For a better sound of my songs I always have to go back to the mix - unfortunately. :ud:

Maybe some people have the secret hope that there is the "one plugin" which enhances the mix so exorbitantly and excessiveley that a song "shines" and can cope with the reference-song. This seems to be a strong believe - maybe a kind of religion?
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

bmanic wrote:There's just something about it's compression action, both on the opto and VCA side that I thoroughly dislike. It's like it's always "wrong" in the way it compresses.
Yes, especially the OPTO side! Chris Lord-Alge had one sitting in his rack when I visited Mix LA but they told me he never, ever used it. ;)

enroe wrote:Maybe some people have the secret hope that there is the "one plugin" which enhances the mix so exorbitantly and excessively that a song "shines" and can cope with the reference-song. This seems to be a strong believe - maybe a kind of religion?
Yep, that's pretty much what's going on these days.

Take a plug and "prove" it is worthy by cranking the f#ck out of it.... then praise its merits and call the distorted sound that comes out of it "analog warmth" :hihi:
Uncle E wrote:Chris Lord-Alge had one sitting in his rack when I visited Mix LA but they told me he never, ever used it. ;)
I see more and more statements like this one.

People buy a lot of gear just for it to function as really pricey furniture :roll:

Return to “Effects”