[newbie] Chord Rhythmic patterns

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, brand new user of RC Full Edition.

In trying to learn RC the first thing that I most urgently need to figure out is how to stop RC from placing a keyboard chord hit per quarter note. I have RC setup so that chord changes happen once per measure , however the generated progression results in 4 quarter note chords per bar.

I would like to understand how to control that so for example only 1 chord is played per bar. In general , for sketching a simple 1 to 2 chord hits per bar would work, but I guess knowing how to tell RC to use a specific rhythmic pattern would be great although may be that's better left to once exported to my DAW.

thanks

-Charles

Hello Charles,
It sounds to me like you are dropping a Chord Generator and have chosen the 1/4 note phrase selection.

Right click the phrase to open the phrase dialog. Along the top choose the Wand icon to select the parameters of the phrase.

Change the "Division" to "Bar" to get a chord that is one bar long instead of 4 notes to the bar.

Alternatively, look farther down the list of the Phrase listing and you will find "Generator Presets". Inside you will find "Chord Generator" with presets for Chord_Eighth Notes, Chord_Half Notes, Chord_Quarter Notes and finally, Chord_Whole Notes.

The more you play around with RC the easier things will become. I also advise checking out the tutorials and videos at the website.

Chris Caulder did a really great job preparing some important videos for learning RC.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks again, yes I have been going thru those tutorials, very helpful

so I tried your instructions and I was able to change the division but a problem remains in that I can't seem to do this on a multi select of the generated chords. Better said, I only seem to be able to make the division change one bar at a time since grabbing all bars and right click does not provide any options at the "wand" icon.

thanks

Yes, this will be correct. There is not a global adjustment that can be made as you suggest.

Since phrases, by design, are to be unique I do not think it advisable to instantiate such a global adjustment feature; however, I am sure Attila will consider such a feature if you propose this in the Feature Request thread.

Also, if you plan many phrases that would be identical you can <ALT> Drag a phrase to any position on the track to create a copy.

More often than not I use the Chord Generator Presets of the note size preferred instead of dropping the chord generator and then having to adjust it to suit.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I'll play with the chord generator then thanks

Hi Charles,

it is a good idea to use 'ghost' copies as dsan suggested. Then you need to change only the first phrase, and all other copies will automatically follow the changes.
Another good idea is to use the 'Join Notes' variation, either added to the 'Chord Generator' or (even better) to the track containing these phrases. It will simply connect the same notes, so the chord notes will be continuous between chord changes.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Return to “MusicDevelopments”