Steinberg UR audio interfaces: user experience thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone :)

Want to share your experience on any of the Steinberg UR models?
I'm mostly interested in the 44 and 28M, especially in conjunction with cubase.
Thank you

i like my ur44.
but have used it only biefly with cubase ai (included). works well with live though.

I use the UR22 with logic, it's been as solid as a rock. They are well built little units :)

UR44 is wonderful and just works. The good preamps are a bonus. Two headphone outs, the cling of the metal casing, the onboard reverb processing... Yeah.

Thanks guys.

How's latency? what do you think about the DPre preamps?
Do you miss SPDIF in/out on the 44?

The preamps sound very good. I get fine latency but remember that your PC is still a factor.

I started out with a UR22. I plugged it into a USB3 port and it worked fine for two or three days. I was also using phantom power. One day I switched the phantom power button and the UR22 died. I contacted Steinberg and they were aware that some units die when plugged into a USB3 port. Fortunately I returned my UR22 to the vendor I purchased it from. I liked the UR22 and decided to try the UR44 because it does not depend on USB power, doesn't have the "MIX" knob, the phantom power on/off is on the front, has a better software package, and supports four mics and line input. The UR44 is not as portable as the UR22. I use it with a desktop machine anyway. I think the UR44 is good for an affordable USB audio interface. Of course its not an RME PCIE audio card.

UR28M here - works perfectly well, only gripe would be that I cant get the latency as low as I would like however that may be more my aging PC

UR28M here. I like it (home hobbyist). What is really cool is "zero latency" tracking with reverb and compression through the hardware itself (with Cubase, I'm not sure if that's the case with other sequencers). But even without that on my i5 16GB I can without any problem get latency down to about 12 msec, and probably further, I just haven't had to try.

The S/PDIF works well as advertised, I've got USB MIDI working fine for a synth keyboard. The routing options are powerful, but took a while for me to get my head around.

I use Beyerdynamic DT 880s and 770s, and there is enough volume to hear well, though I've seen comments where it might be tough in a very loud environment to hear through phones without a separate headphone amp, depending on the impedance of the phones.

It has a very nice large and accessible hardware volume knob on the front, and a mono button there also.

Only thing I miss is an insert point ... but hey, there's always something!

Great sound as well (pres/converters).

Thanks to everyone so far, all your reviews are very helpful.

I had an idea. Would you mind to edit your first post in this thread adding this info: interface model, cpu, ram, operative system and DAW (name + version)?

I bought one myself finally. It's one month I've been using it, very happy so far.
Yamaha preamps sound good to me, nice dynamic response with bass guitar (tough instrument to keep under control during recording).
I haven't tried the two line/mic inputs yet though, nor the rear analog line inputs.
Minimum latency I got is 5ms roundabout at 64 samples and 44khz. But I have to switch to 128min/512max depending on the project, to prevent asio peaks.
This relates to my system and CPU anyway.
Direct monitoring on such heavy-on-cpu projects was nice, and the internal reverb is quite good also.
It's MIDI interface works great, I can finally connect my stage piano to the DAW and use it as a full range master keyboard.
Unfortunately it doesn't fully integrate with my Cubase Studio 5 (too old), or it would have been perfect. Time to upgrade I guess.
I would also have paid more if it had adat and SPDIF connections, but you know.. you just can't have everything :)

Bought the UR44 since I needed >3 mic amps (2 for guitar and 1 for vocals). Been loving it ever since (coming from a Edoril UA-25).

The pre-amps used in this model are the same as Steinberg uses in their higher quality AI's.

Intergation with Cubase is a breeze though I dont use it but if you do it's seamless.
If you own an iPad you can get an app to control the FX and software as a MIDI-controller. Oh yeah, that's kinda weird: You can only control the FX and settings through the dspfMixer software, not on the hardware itself!

It feels robust and the headphone-amps are enough to power my Beyerdynamics DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm cans.

Only thing that would've been nice is to have an s/pdif connector since now I have to switch AI's when using my Focusrite VRM Box.

EDIT: Oh and the support forums from Steinberg are not all that. Dozens of topics that heva no replies. It seems there is only one guy (Stefan something) who moderates and my guess is, he's the only one.
So if you require regular support you might want to rethink Steinberg.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”