What was the first Daw on Windows?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not a fully fledged DAW but who remembers Sam Coupe Midi Sequencer, ahh happy days
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

I remember Cakewalk 3.0 was from 1993 and was written for Windows 3.11, the executable was called wincake. Nothing but good memories. :)

Dúnedain

My first memories come from the Amiga 1000 (although I only remember the Amiga 600).
Instant Music by Electronic Artists 1986. Those were the days.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPVb5T_t4c

arkmabat wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:
arkmabat wrote:What was that old Mac DAW called that introduced audio channels and had "super awesome intro demo videos you totally have to watch"? Anyway, Trent Reznor swore by it until it stopped working and he had to switch to windows, much to his dismay. I don't get it when people despise what actually works?
Trent Reznor never switched to Windows. There were two reasons he and his friends had a Mac in the studio:

1. Generator/Reaktor (which ported to Mac shortly after)
2. Doom (he said productivity came to a screeching halt for a while).
For ProTools before it came to Mac for Fragile.
I was not aware that Pro Tools was PC native. I thought it was the opposite.

PS: I corrected my typo above re: Mac instead of PC in the Reznor studio. Hah, Doom on a Mac, as if...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

arkmabat wrote:Cool to know some history. Thanks for the comments, Jace-BeOS.
It's fun :-) I grew up with [some of] this stuff, so it's also warm nostalgia. But nostalgia is no good for making music. I'd never go back to older tech (I've tried and it was a waste of time and money buying used retro gear, trying to make up for my lost childhood, hah hah). But I still have great fondness for the whole subject :-)

EDIT: also, my apologies for any factual errors.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Back in the late 80s I was making music on a Commodore 64 with my Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX7, TR-808 drum machine, and a Tascam 4-track tape recorder. It all seemed so state-of-the-art at the time, but now sounds like a music museum inventory. It was so long ago, I don't even remember which DAW I had, though I'm pretty sure we just called it a sequencer back then.

I also produced music for games using my own player code, but loved playing with Sountracker, then later on Screamtracker. The good old days? No way. Things are so much better now I've got a decent PC and Ableton Live 9 Suite. Plus more free soft synths and effects than I can use.

This Rules. the responses

Dúnedain wrote:I remember Cakewalk 3.0 was from 1993 and was written for Windows 3.11, the executable was called wincake. Nothing but good memories. :)

That brings it all back, my first sequencer was Cakewalk Express(?) which must have been a version of that Pro, came bundled with my AWE32 card in '94 I think.

Band in a Box? lol

GaryG wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:I remember Cakewalk 3.0 was from 1993 and was written for Windows 3.11, the executable was called wincake. Nothing but good memories. :)

That brings it all back, my first sequencer was Cakewalk Express(?) which must have been a version of that Pro, came bundled with my AWE32 card in '94 I think.
My 3.5" diskette says "Cakewalk Apprentice" by "Twelve Tone Systems" :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

That may not apply unless it also recorded audio tracks way back then, but yeah, Cubase goes way back.

anyone have some information on this one?

Trifolium Blue Note Music publishing system with 24-track sequencer

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari ... 23734.html

no pics and nothing on Google

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”