Sonar X3 Track Manager Vertical Zoom Bug

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm looking for some help from Sonar X3 users, especially those aware of the vertical zoom bug. The vertical zoom bug is present when hiding tracks with the Track Manager.

When using Kontakt, Philharmonik, and Maschine I have individual MIDI and Audio tracks for each sound/instrument. My preferred way of working would've been hiding the MIDI tracks in the Console View, and hiding Audio tracks in the Track View. Well I can't work like that because of the bug, and there's no fix for the issue.

How do some of you work around the issue, and if you haven't come across the same issue how would you suggest I work around it?

I appreciate everyone's time, thanks in advance.

What do you mean by vertical zoom bug? I just tried hiding audio tracks in Track View, and midi tracks in Console, in case I had missed something, and the midi tracks in Track View seem to zoom just fine. Intrigued, I searched Sonar's forum and "Vertical Zoom Bug" returned zero hits. Could you elaborate a bit on this?

Here's the thread from the Cakewalk forum: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Timeline-Vert ... 06658.aspx

The OP talks in regards to the Timeline Zoom, but any method of vertically zooming causes the issue. Took me a month just to figure out what was causing the issue, and support confirmed that hiding tracks causes the bug. When you use vertical zoom while tracks are hidden it jumps to the last track in the song.

What version are you on? I'm on X3e.

Ah, I see, I hadn't noticed that. I am in X3d, and I am not planning to upgrade until later on this year. Have you any idea about this being fixed in Platinum?

Seriously? They still have problems with this crap in the "completely redesigned" X series? I suppose my track mute/solo bug is still unfixed too...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

JoseC. wrote:Ah, I see, I hadn't noticed that. I am in X3d, and I am not planning to upgrade until later on this year. Have you any idea about this being fixed in Platinum?
Customer support said it was fixed in Sonar 2015. So their solution to the fix is upgrade, but I just purchased Sonar X3 Producer 2 months ago. Asking someone to pay $150 more for a bug fix for software crippled by a bug for a month and a half is a joke.
Jace-BeOS wrote:Seriously? They still have problems with this crap in the "completely redesigned" X series? I suppose my track mute/solo bug is still unfixed too...
Aside from dabbling with Sonar 8.5 LE that came with a Samson mic over 4 years ago I don't have much experience with Sonar. Was this issue really present in older versions?

I don't know if it's the same bug but I have experienced a number of display bugs and behavior bugs in 8.5.3 and earlier that related to scrolling, zooming, hiding, soloing/muting, and the massive kludge that is the "instrument track".

8.5.3 was when I stopped buying upgrades for bug fixes and gave up.

That's not to say I don't have a few similar problems in Logic. Just last night I encountered severe redraw bugs in Logic 9.x relating to the CC edit view (had that before with the Hyper Editor) and even the track inspector (never before last night). But the bad behavior in Sonar was way more common.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Fidelitymusic wrote:How do some of you work around the issue, and if you haven't come across the same issue how would you suggest I work around it?

I appreciate everyone's time, thanks in advance.
First, I'll correct myself: I have X3e, my signature is not updated, and I when posted this morning I wasn't too awake and just copied what was written there without much thinking.

I had a look at the problem, and it seems that a possible workaround for the Right Click - Drag in the timeline (or CTRL- Up/Dwn) would be having all midi tracks on top in the Track View, with all audio tracks at the bottom. For what I've seen, even if you hide the bottom tracks, vertical zoom seems to work correctly, as long as you do not hide any of the midi tracks.

I don't know whether this is acceptable for you. It is for me, I actually use to keep my tracks that way, with all midi at the top and all audio tracks at the bottom.

Even if you do hide some midi tracks, zoom does not seem to go all the way down to the last track, but rather centers on a wrong one, offset by the number of hidden tracks.

ALT-mouse wheel zooming is working right over here, I cannot find a way to make it go wrong.

Jace-BeOS wrote:8.5.3 was when I stopped buying upgrades for bug fixes and gave up.

That's not to say I don't have a few similar problems in Logic. Just last night I encountered severe redraw bugs in Logic 9.x relating to the CC edit view (had that before with the Hyper Editor) and even the track inspector (never before last night). But the bad behavior in Sonar was way more common.
I guess you mean that you haven't used Sonar for years, and that you have no idea whatsoever about the current state of things, but you just chimed in because you wanted to show that you really know how to hold a grudge.

Well, thanks for sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fidelitymusic wrote:Aside from dabbling with Sonar 8.5 LE that came with a Samson mic over 4 years ago I don't have much experience with Sonar. Was this issue really present in older versions?
It is working fine in X2 here. X3 introduced incremental scrolling, and it seems that's why this issue appeared. Sonar has a lot of zooming, scrolling, track handling and navigation options (something I really miss when using Ableton Live), so it is not strange that something like this went under the radar.

JoseC. wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:8.5.3 was when I stopped buying upgrades for bug fixes and gave up.

I guess you mean that you haven't used Sonar for years, and that you have no idea whatsoever about the current state of things, but you just chimed in because you wanted to show that you really know how to hold a grudge.

Well, thanks for sharing. :clap: :clap: :clap:
No problem. It's my pleasure. Er... Displeasure. The grudge was many years and hundreds of dollars in the making, so I have to exercise it now and then.

I do credit Cakewalk for being the product I first started making some proper music in. I was stuck in the PC world and Cakewalk was cost effective (because I could upgrade from the bundled Apprentice version that came with my Sound Blaster AWE32) and had a lot to offer at the time. Customer friendly copy protection too (no dongle). But my naivety let me stick around too long.

No, I don't feel bad bashing their current product when people are complaining about the same damn bugs I had in 8.5.3.

Anyway, long live Twelve Tone Systems! Er... Cakewalk. :lol:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
No, I don't feel bad bashing their current product
Sourpuss :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”