Downloads... by IP Range.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Somehow OP's 'IP range' has become 'some sort of infallable geo-location system across varying ISPs and IP addresses'.

rapidly sounding more like hyberbole than fact.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

iZotope calls home, I have to connect to the Internet when I want to register their plugins.
IK Multimedia is the same.

One obscure synth I bought, Dominus by The CoreStylerz http://www.kvraudio.com/product/dominus ... rz/details actually makes me have to login and enter a username and password EACH time I want to use it. Maybe it was fixed in a recent version, haven't used it.

BBFG# wrote:And yes, I can log on to those accounts from anywhere, but I can't download from just anywhere.
Just to clarify, I've downloaded purchases from Camel using two different computers (studio & laptop) across three different ISPs (two broadband, one cellular).

All geographically within a 5 mile radius though, but I don't see how that should matter since if this was for copy-protection reasons I could theoretically have been myself and two local friends.

I expect companies just track IP so that they can see if a license keeps switching backwards and forwards between known country IP blocks. In that way they can tell if a license is being abused. I don't for a minute think they would expect fixed IPs. Many people take music software around the world with them and in the UK most consumers are on dynamic IP at home.

I recall ImageLine stating that they might block a license if they saw activity jumping across countries...although this was just an attempt to frighten people off selling their IL accounts.
Last edited by db3 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never had problems with NI :shrug:

Me neither.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

whyterabbyt wrote:Somehow OP's 'IP range' has become 'some sort of infallable geo-location system across varying ISPs and IP addresses'.

rapidly sounding more like hyberbole than fact.
I'm also skeptical. Can anybody provide any evidence NI is blocking downloads based on IP address? Anybody traveling with a laptop who needs to download should have encountered this, so it shouldn't be a rare circumstance.

I doubt that this is true for NI. I can't find anything in their knowledge base that addresses the issue. On the subject of installation they say you can activate on three computers for Komplete, but they don't mention a restriction to IP addresses or ranges. They do say they have the right to disable a serial or account if the licensee agreement is violated.

Their EULA doesn't mention IP ranges either under Registration/Activation.

Even companies with hardware locks have rescue plans for when locks break or are lost etc.

So there is one thing to lock to ip-range, and another not allowing to rescue license if changing ISP.
Seems odd.

A place I worked at had normal mac address on network device to identify a computer, and it caused issues when people registred the license having a mobile device inserted while doing that. Then when they removed it license did not authorize.

So there isn't this kind of issue people had here?
A different usb mobile stick will have another mac address.

I'd have to disagree with NI. I have logged in from several states across the US and made updates to my laptop. I can't speak for out of the country.

Given the number of artists, especially of the EDM variety, doing multi-continental gigs, I would find this strange from ANY vendor.

Jon

NI doesn't lock or block, it simply gets 'lost' in finding the download. However it works solid every time if I use the same service I originally registered on. Regardless if it is my ISP account or someone else's.
It doesn't even have to be the same provider in most cases. The other company takes you back into a continuous loop of 'Please log on', even though I'm already logged in. The problem seems almost specific to the difference between a satellite connection and the ISPs using DSL/MIFI towers. This last company is in the reverse though, it works on the satellite but not the regular providers. Camel was the one that made me aware that this was the issue. I now have a support ticket opened to both of those companies to see what they say. But as it stands now, they each have one they work on and one they don't.

mutantdog wrote:
BBFG# wrote:And yes, I can log on to those accounts from anywhere, but I can't download from just anywhere.
Just to clarify, I've downloaded purchases from Camel using two different computers (studio & laptop) across three different ISPs (two broadband, one cellular).

All geographically within a 5 mile radius though, but I don't see how that should matter since if this was for copy-protection reasons I could theoretically have been myself and two local friends.
I should clarify this. I can download from anywhere and any computer (except with XLN). But I can't use certain connections apparently. I do my downloads within a 30 mile radius with no other problem than that. And I've even used different providers in town (the major ones used by coffee shops and eateries).
I would say it was just the satellite. But this last company I registered with, I did on satellite and now can't get it to work right on the other services. :shrug:

Having loads of issues ATM trying to access my Camel account. They say it's due to IP issues my end. Pissing me off.

I don't believe any of this. NI has (did have) issues updating login status but you could just go to your download page anyway.
Where are the terms of service agreements discussing using an IP in your login key?

Return to “Instruments”