2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Voice303 wrote:Just put together another demo that ended up somewhat Biosphere sounding.

https://soundcloud.com/voice303/cloud-of-thought
Quite lovely :tu:
Thanks!

That FIR vocal clip is out of this world :o

I really need to play around with using a wide variety of sound input more, in some of your demos you do a very good job at using it as a colorizer for more musical / less expirmental input. I havn't quite found the sweet spot for that yet without totally morphing the input beyond recognition.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

it would be very useful if you could assign an image editor in the preferences, and then add an 'edit image' button in the image browser which would open the image in the assigned editor. when saved the image would be placed in either an assigned custom folder or would overwrite the original, or it would simply save in the original's folder. Perhaps some logical naming conventions would be handy too, such as if the original was called 'vocal blur' ... KS would create a copy called 'vocal blur custom001' and then send that to the image editor.

in essence, how it's done in ableton when assigning a dedicated sample editor and then editing an audio clip.

Voice303 wrote:
I really need to play around with using a wide variety of sound input more, in some of your demos you do a very good job at using it as a colorizer for more musical / less expirmental input. I havn't quite found the sweet spot for that yet without totally morphing the input beyond recognition.
That's the thing about KS, it either takes over and plays on it's own with the input source becoming less important/not important or it actually "resonates" with the input source, I find both varieties very appealing, the first one currently fascinating me more though.

Here are some experimental drums experiments, the strange waveform tuning file was derived from a wahwah trombone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oUvD6DIgO8

^ I like what happened around 2:50. Sounds like long strips of sheet metal scraping against each other.

Hi All, I've just bought Kaleidoscope and am enjoying getting some weird and wonderful sounds out of it, mostly at random! Is anyone going to do a youtube tutorial explaining how it works? I understand the basics but it would be great to see someone who understands it's workings build some sounds and explain what they're doing. I've seen a few youtube vids but they mostly showcase the sounds rather than explain how to do stuff.

Banquet wrote:Hi All, I've just bought Kaleidoscope and am enjoying getting some weird and wonderful sounds out of it, mostly at random! Is anyone going to do a youtube tutorial explaining how it works? I understand the basics but it would be great to see someone who understands it's workings build some sounds and explain what they're doing. I've seen a few youtube vids but they mostly showcase the sounds rather than explain the workings.
Hey Banquet, I can just imagine trying to record a video tutorial with Kaleidoscope and screen capture software running at the same time. My system would probably crash and burn before I even got anywhere.

I'm just using the demo right now, but I'm pretty much doing the same thing you probably are, flipping through presets and messing with stuff arbitrarily. However, I've already started to read the manual, which is a great read. Feels more like a book on hybrid synthesis instead of a manual.

But yeah, Kaleidoscope is a monster, and I'm obviously going to have to really soak in the manual and develop a strong understanding of what the parameters do before I can really get my arms around it. I guess I'll just pour myself a hot cup of Earl Grey and do my homework. :tu:

Andrew has said he is going to do some video tutorials.

[I think he has a 12-core Mac Pro!]

Great to hear there will be some tutorials. I get the point about the difficulty of doing, though. It would need to be a beast of a computer!

The manual is very good. I need to read it properly to learn more, but I'd be interested in other people's workflow.

One question I have, if anyone can help - you can set the note (or root note, perhaps?) of the 'sound' but can you change that over time? If I set the note to C and play a bunch of notes around the C chord I'm fine, but what if I want to change to A? Kaleidoscope keeps playing C! How do you keep it in tune with what you're playing?

You can only switch the tuning manually for now, it can't be automated or assigned to Midi which would be a great feature for an update.

I think a standalone version would be nice for those who don't mind being limited to the internal white noise oscillator. Good enough to make patches with.

Sampleconstruct wrote:You can only switch the tuning manually for now, it can't be automated or assigned to Midi which would be a great feature for an update.
Thanks - so if I want to record, say, an acoustic guitar finger picking around A, E & C, I would record the guitar track, then turn on Kaleidoscope and manually set root notes appropriately - how do I record that though?

Banquet wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:You can only switch the tuning manually for now, it can't be automated or assigned to Midi which would be a great feature for an update.
Thanks - so if I want to record, say, an acoustic guitar finger picking around A, E & C, I would record the guitar track, then turn on Kaleidoscope and manually set root notes appropriately - how do I record that though?
Bounce it after changing the note manually each time.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Banquet wrote:
Well, step by step, one chord, one tuning -> render, next chord next tuning->render. Or setup 4 Kaleidoscopes on 4 Busses and automate the send to those 4 Busses on the guitar track, if your computer can run 4 KSes at once that is.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Well, step by step, one chord, one tuning -> render, next chord next tuning->render. Or setup 4 Kaleidoscopes on 4 Busses and automate the send to those 4 Busses on the guitar track, if your computer can run 4 KSes at once that is.
In this track below I had one KS with different chordal tunings on each cello pizz loop (3x MachFive sampler) and a KS on the Bus, it was running in real time but I rendered it offline of course. But those were cello pizz samples which could be isolated from each other, this won't work with a live acoustic guitar of course, unless you record the chords on seperate tracks.

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/a ... pe-quartet

Return to “Effects”