MCompare: Overs

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have one instance of MCompare at the beginning of my mastering chain, and two instances at the end. Instances 1 and 2 generate sources, instance 3 is only there to compare the two (i.d. the mastered and the unmastered mix).

The output of my mastering chain never exceeds -1 dB, unless I use the described setup. Whenever I do that (in REAPER 5 beta 13, if that matters), the output is increased in volume above 0 dB and causes overs.

Is that a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Of course I have ALC switch on, but that's not supposed to increase the volume of the second (mastered) source, is it? It should just increase the original, unmastered version in volume to match the mastered one (and hence stay at -1dBFS).

You actually made your life extremely complicated and yes, in your case ALC can do that. This is Case 2 from the docs, so to repeat, here's how to do that:

1) Put one instance in the beginning of your effect chain and set it to "Generate source 1". Close it, you'll never need it again.

2) Put another instance (the "main" one) to the end of your effect chain and here you just switch between the 2 by pressing "Source 1". You don't need source 2, because the that's just the output of the mastered chain and of course this "main" instance is receiving that as an input.

3) Finally, I'd recommend setting Output gain parameter (in advanced panel) to say -10dB and compensate in your hardware. This will ensure that whatever you do, the output won't clip.

Why?
ALC will make the source as loud as the mastered version. Now if you click Source 1, the plugin will just increase the gain to match the loudness of your mastered version, which is most likely much louder and you used limiters to get there, which the Source 1 has NO limiter! The point is, that you can compare the original track with the mastered one, to see if the limiter hurt it. And the only way is to lower the output gain - that will ensure Source 1 sounds "as original", while the mastered version sounds like the mastered version, just 10dB lower and you can easily use your hardware audio interface to compensate for that.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Seems that I misunderstood how to use the plugin properly. I'll get rid of the unneeded third instance and see it that works as expected (which it probably will do).

Very well, please let me know if you have any more questions ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Happy all around. :)

Thanks, it works like a charm!

Return to “MeldaProduction”