Help with the MFO

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am slowly getting the hang of the wave morphing possibilies but dont really get the section about using grains.
It would be nice if someone could demonstrate with an example how to use it. No pressure if its too much hassle.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

A quick answer: Instead of using an explicit waveform, you can also define the waveform from a section of a sample = sample grain.

Attached is a simple MUX patch that demonstrates the use of sample grains in the MFO. It uses a bunch of grains of a factory piano sample so it should work with any MuLab/MUX install.

Simply drag-drop the MUX patch on the [+] Rack button and play with it and explore it.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok I think I got it now, thanks.
Now another question regarding the Wave Index.
When modulating it with Mod wheel for instance I see the index visually update but when using an LFO it doesn't, is that normal ?

Yes that's everywhere the case when modulating a parameter. The parameter knob always shows the parameter value itself. The modulation is added on top of this value.

That's why in the example patch i attached above the wave index is in the middle (=50%) and the LFO is going from -50% to +50% so the wave index will vary between between 0 and max.

Sorry, I meant the graph showing the waveform within the Oscillator window visually updates as the wave index percentage changes but only when using Mod Wheel or am I misunderstanding

Well in fact it's quite the same answer: The MFO waveform display shows the waveform for the Wave Index parameter value, but that's without modulation. Modulation is always applied 'on the fly' and can be different per voice!

Thank you, makes sense that it wouldnt be able to show "where" the wave is at for multiple voices unless they were all at the same point I guess.

Oh hang on, is modulating with the wheel not doing the same as what an LFO would do.

Indeed when a midi controller is mapped to a parameter, it is changing the very parameter value itself.

So attach the Mod Wheel to the LFO amount and tada, modw expression
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”