Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Solaris65 wrote:Can somebody please tell me how to get my hands on v.2? I currently only have the old V.0.5..but this looks like a really cool step forward in design.

My thanks in advance. :wink:
Disregard my last post above..I remembered the Yahoo group and just posted over there about this. Here's hoping you continue working on this and have a release real soon. :wink:
Ambient Mechanics

I would like to plead for the return of all 3 virtual keyboards for v2 please. I have yet to use ZI but I'm going through the manual and it seems like they provide a lot of visual feed back. Especially in regards to the transposition of note inputs when entering notes that are actually 2 octaves above the notes pressed on a keyboard controller.

Also all of the vids are prerecorded, I guess this is to save time and focus on the performance aspects of the software. Could we please have some vids that show from start to finish the recording of patterns into slots and how ZI was set up to make the performance possible? Thanks.

Hi bronswerk,

I also came across the Zyklus MPS, and read Bill Marshall's very interesting article called: "Twenty Five Years Later…"
(can be found online)

I would appreciate it if you can invite me to the group.
Thank you!
Gil

not sure if this has been said

but Zyklus would be great on ipad :-)

Hi bronswerk,

Very interested in your work!
I would like to join your yahoo group.

Thank you!

mannymang wrote: Very interested in your work!
I would like to join your yahoo group.
If you send me a pm that has a valid yahoo email address in it, I'll be more then happy to send you an invitation for joining the yahoo group.

Can somebody please tell me how to get my hands on v.2? I currently only have the old V.0.5b

V2 is still in development so that's why it's not available yet. There are a couple of reasons why it takes so long. The number one factor is however time. I'm not in the position anymore to devote as much time as was the case when I wrote the first version. My daily job is simply too demanding these days.

(If you're not interested in how Improvisor works under the hood skip the rest of this post.)

The other reasons are more technical. As some of you probably know Zyklus Improvisor is made with Max (from the company Cycling '74) in combination with Java. Although programs made with Max are fully capable to work as a standalone midi/audio program, the complexity of Improvisor is pretty high. Without the help of some advanced program language (like Java in my case) Improvisor would simply be not possible.

So Max and Java (again in my case) have to work together to make it all work. This will lead to some overhead however because all the graphical stuff, timing and midi io are handled by Max, but the logical and data parts are done entirely in Java.

In the past whenever I introduced an object in Max, like a slider or a button, program code in Java was needed to keep track of changes in this Max objects state. Also a lot of objects represent some data value that must be stored and handled as well. This marriage between (Max) objects state and (Java) logic and data handling was not always successful and created spaghetti code all over the place. Debugging became a nightmare.

To overcome the above sketched scenario I've decided to work out a hierarchical object structure in Java that was tailor made for my needs, while on the same time I've created some specialized objects in Max that would reflect that Java object structure. That's also one of the the reasons for the "cell-like" picture a page earlier. All those cells have the same construction under the surface for easy communication between Max and Java. In a nutshell, the specialized Max objects have a virtual equivalent in Java. Whenever I change some value in Java, it will automatically update its graphical counterpart in Max, be it a value, some text or a color. Data handling is also bind into that same Java object. To work out this object structure was quite some work, but the advantages are substantial. Since Max and Java have now a tighter integration, changes and updates are easier to do.

All in all there's still much to do in the future before V2 will come but the foundation is much stronger and hopefully will pay off.

bronswerk wrote:As some of you probably know Zyklus Improvisor is made with Max (from the company Cycling '74) in combination with Java. Although programs made with Max are fully capable to work as a standalone midi/audio program, the complexity of Improvisor is pretty high. Without the help of some advanced program language (like Java in my case) Improvisor would simply be not possible.

So Max and Java (again in my case) have to work together to make it all work. This will lead to some overhead however because all the graphical stuff, timing and midi io are handled by Max, but the logical and data parts are done entirely in Java.

In the past whenever I introduced an object in Max, like a slider or a button, program code in Java was needed to keep track of changes in this Max objects state. Also a lot of objects represent some data value that must be stored and handled as well. This marriage between (Max) objects state and (Java) logic and data handling was not always successful and created spaghetti code all over the place. Debugging became a nightmare.

To overcome the above sketched scenario I've decided to work out a hierarchical object structure in Java that was tailor made for my needs, while on the same time I've created some specialized objects in Max that would reflect that Java object structure. That's also one of the the reasons for the "cell-like" picture a page earlier. All those cells have the same construction under the surface for easy communication between Max and Java. In a nutshell, the specialized Max objects have a virtual equivalent in Java. Whenever I change some value in Java, it will automatically update its graphical counterpart in Max, be it a value, some text or a color. Data handling is also bind into that same Java object. To work out this object structure was quite some work, but the advantages are substantial. Since Max and Java have now a tighter integration, changes and updates are easier to do.

All in all there's still much to do in the future before V2 will come but the foundation is much stronger and hopefully will pay off.
Thank you for sharing. Being a professional Java developer myself, I found your explanation to be both interesting and insightful. With regards to one's day job becoming more time-consuming and demanding, I can certainly relate to that.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Hi bronswerk,

would you pleasee invite me to join the yahoo group, im' very instersting to try your software. Seems to be really cool.

Thank you

I think zyklus looks very promising. Is there a way (like being invited to the yahoo group) to lay hands on a copy of the present alpa/beta version?

Here's a link where you can download it from. No need to join the group if you don't want to.

http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~patalus/new ... Improvisor

Is it possible to send midi clock out while set to internal clock in ver. 0.5

may I join the yahoo group

Any news on V2 please?

Return to “Instruments”