Korg MS20M kit + SQ1 sequencer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Loving and investigating my two sq1s, atm.

Just a detail for the anticheap mulisha.
Surprised no one mentioned how really awful the battery holder is on this thing.

Cable is very short, the holder itself is made of the "oh no" slimmest wobbly plastic and I wonder if it will stand up to the 3rd/4th batteries change.

Anyway, :hyper: :hyper:

Speaking of conversion from MIDI to CV,
has anyone tried if the SQ-1 converts the incoming MIDI data on both outputs CV (I mean on two separate MIDI channels).
Thanks.

I might be wrong but I believe it only handles a single midi channel - you set the channel 1-16 using the buttons accordingly. I spent a good 20 minutes wondering why it wasn't converting anything until I realised I had inadvertently set the SQ1 to channel 5 at some point when messing around in global set up.

However, I'd like to be proved wrong on this - in a DAW the SQ1 shows up as 2 USB midi outputs but I'm finding it only converts on the second. Again, I'm probably missing something or have made some setting somewhere I'm unaware of.

The other thing I discovered when using the SQ1 as a converter that was that setting the SQ1's step resolution to 16th notes is a good idea, even though the SQ1 isn't running/in step mode. Playing back some sequences from the DAW, I found it was struggling with any quick succession of notes when set at lower resolutions.

Really happy with this thing, among many other things, I can at last sequence my old Korg Sigma :)

The manual says the B output is set on channel (A+1)mod16, so if A is on channel 1. then B is on 2, if A is set to 5 then B is 6, if A is 16 then B is 1.
I have yet to try the B output (I had to solve some noise problems on my setup :( ), but I'll try that for sure as soon as possible.
About the two midi outputs: I supect one sends just midi data to the midi out connector, while the other does cv, but I'll have to test that too.

Quick minims20 vs microzwerge moment.
After this I started messing with individual osc sequencing and the fun tripled, can't wait to record some more.

https://m.soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/babybroscounters

Sonic Lab review of the MS20 module. sequencer to be reviewed later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdCtUapVPfI
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I bought the SQ-1 yesterday!
Today I had fun for hours sequencing my MicroBrute with SQ-1 via CV-Gate.
With channel A I controlled the notes, with the channel B I controlled the filter.
Then I checked the functioning of the SQ-! as MIDI-CV converter and
I discovered that converts two channels simultaneously ! (through two MIDI channels, via USB).
Great toy ! ! !

'kin ell, you telling me the 2O does NOT have PWM in? pfffffff...
don't s'pose those new functions can easily be added to the SMD Mini?

can the SQ-1 receive clock in?(no MIDI)?

mztk wrote:'kin ell, you telling me the 2O does NOT have PWM in? pfffffff...
don't s'pose those new functions can easily be added to the SMD Mini?

can the SQ-1 receive clock in?(no MIDI)?
that's why they had to create TWO other ms20 variants. :clown:

receives sync in and midi clock.

longer jammie, with bass and beats.
ms-20 finally gets some real double-tracked ringmod wrestling.

https://soundcloud.com/fuzzyparts/turbogun

Thomann f**ked up my order... took my money, but sent my unit to someone else. Now I get to wait until mid april. I only found out because I've been waiting so long for it to be delivered so I rang them to check up on it. The first fräulein told me she'd ring shipping and get back to me. Some hours later, still no phone call so I ring again and the second fräulein rings up shipping while I'm on the phone and tells me no one rang shipping on my behalf - as if to suggest I was talking out of my ass, rather than being apologetic for the first fräulein failing to call shipping at all.

the second fräulein also pre-empted anything I might say and just went on in some scripted/robotic way telling me I can basically go f**k myself (i.e accept the situation or take a refund, life is hard, #1stworldproblems, #crymeariver, #etc)

really disappointing - particularly after all the super frugal budgeting and incurring late-fees on some bills, but not much I can do. other than cry about it here.

SQ-1

Yes this little thing is a marvel. My Yamaha CS-5 now has a brain. When outputting CV on hz/volt using the sequencer it tunes about 2 and half octaves on the CS-5 which is fine for my purposes. Would be nice if it could go one octave lower so I could sequence some growl but not complaining. Same tuning stability and range on the Yamaha when using it as a midi to CV trigger. Drivers are rock solid when USB'd to the computer.

The analog sequencer chases midi clock very nicely when receiving clock over usb from cubase. With active step, slide and muted steps it really opens up some nice performance possibilities. Great product, great price! - Scotty

Digiconv wrote:I bought the SQ-1 yesterday!
Today I had fun for hours sequencing my MicroBrute with SQ-1 via CV-Gate.
With channel A I controlled the notes, with the channel B I controlled the filter.
Then I checked the functioning of the SQ-! as MIDI-CV converter and
I discovered that converts two channels simultaneously ! (through two MIDI channels, via USB).
Great toy ! ! !

Ordered mine from my local music store today, was told it would arrive in 1 - 2 months.
Price - $1700 bucks (Australian). I put a 20% deposit on it. Plain dry toast for me for a while!
The (rather hot) chick at the counter told me they would drop the price if i found it cheaper somewhere else.
Does anyone reckon telling them Sweetwaters got it for about $1200 counts, or does online not count?
Would love to save $500. Supposed to be saving for another car after my first 1 fell to pieces.

ArtOfPotato wrote:Ordered mine from my local music store today, was told it would arrive in 1 - 2 months.
Price - $1700 bucks (Australian). I put a 20% deposit on it. Plain dry toast for me for a while!
The (rather hot) chick at the counter told me they would drop the price if i found it cheaper somewhere else.
Does anyone reckon telling them Sweetwaters got it for about $1200 counts, or does online not count?
Would love to save $500. Supposed to be saving for another car after my first 1 fell to pieces.
I would say why not give it a try? I suppose the worst that could happen is they might say no. :)

(Though I'm also not sure how the currency exchange rate might work in your particular scenario and how/if they would take that into account.)

ArtOfPotato wrote: Does anyone reckon telling them Sweetwaters got it for about $1200 counts, or does online not count?
sure it counts.

as does the approximately 9,500 miles of shipping costs and customs/import duties.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”