One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can I then do an own patch in Synthmaster full, export to web library and then load into Synthmaster player?

EDIT: Oh ok, I can use synthmaster full, right?
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bibz1st wrote:Why not just have the "free player only" and the sounds it comes with, so everyone is singing from the same song sheet, so to speak.
Hence my first post
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Hanz Meyzer wrote: EDIT: Oh ok, I can use synthmaster full, right?
yeah paid version is fine

bibz1st wrote:
bibz1st wrote:Why not just have the "free player only" and the sounds it comes with, so everyone is singing from the same song sheet, so to speak.
Hence my first post
Problem is, those with the full version are screwed out of the contest unless they download the player, and I'm not messing with my installation. Not for an OSC.

There has got to be a better solution than that.

wagtunes wrote:
bibz1st wrote:
Hence my first post
Problem is, those with the full version are screwed out of the contest unless they download the player, and I'm not messing with my installation. Not for an OSC.

I do see what you mean but on the other hand if it was a new synth then everyone would have to download it anyway, although I do see its not a small download. :shrug:
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
bibz1st wrote:
Hence my first post

I do see what you mean but on the other hand if it was a new synth then everyone would have to download it anyway, although I do see its not a small download. :shrug:
It's not even the size of the download. I don't know what downloading it and installing it is going to do to my Synthmaster installation that I already have and already had to put a support ticket in to get working again when, for some unknown reason, my serial number stopped working and the synth literally fell apart. The GUI broke into pieces and it was unusable. Even support was dumbfounded when they had to issue me a new serial number.

So no, I refuse to mess with this thing.

Extremely cool of KV331 to offer the full version to previous OSC participants. Very generous! I won it as a prize from a past contest and it's an awesome synth, looking forward to digging in deeper.
Hopefully there will be some great submissions with the free version. If memory serves (which it often doesn't) I recall contests in the past when demo users beat out full version owners. I think jasinski won the TAL-U-NO challenge using the limited free version when many entrants (including myself - damn you jasinski!) had the full LX version. I also remember the Z3TA+ challenge when I used the demo version which made noise every fifteen seconds and had to create multiple renders of each instance to assemble a final track.
It's fun to find workarounds, and limitations can enhance creativity, so I hope newer OSCers don't hesitate to enter with the player - who knows what could happen!

edit: double post

Hey, last month was my third OSC :-), so I would be eligible. And it would be kind of interesting not not have to spent time on sound design and just use what's there, different way of working that might lead to different results (and 800 patches is quite a lot anyway, probably takes more time browsing them than actually designing new ones...)

What's the copy protection for this? Some obtrusive C/R stuff or simple serial?

fese wrote:Hey, last month was my third OSC :-), so I would be eligible. And it would be kind of interesting not not have to spent time on sound design and just use what's there, different way of working that might lead to different results (and 800 patches is quite a lot anyway, probably takes more time browsing them than actually designing new ones...)

What's the copy protection for this? Some obtrusive C/R stuff or simple serial?
Here's the real story of their copyright protection (Should be the same today):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p3811633

Ok, I'm gonna make it extra hard for me this time, using the free player and creating the song in Maschine. I already got some decent kick and hihat sounds using a lot of compression and EQ.

Quick question, is it allowed to use the transient shaper from Maschine on my drum sounds to add more punch to them?

Reefius wrote:Ok, I'm gonna make it extra hard for me this time, using the free player and creating the song in Maschine. I already got some decent kick and hihat sounds using a lot of compression and EQ.

Quick question, is it allowed to use the transient shaper from Maschine on my drum sounds to add more punch to them?
From my understanding of the contest rules, you can only use plugins as effects (compression, limiting, etc) that are freely available and nothing that colors the sound such as EQ, phasers. distortion, etc.

I'm sure BJ will come by and clarify this but that is my understanding from what I read.

Transient shapers should be only volume modifiers; should be fine.

wagtunes wrote:
Reefius wrote:Ok, I'm gonna make it extra hard for me this time, using the free player and creating the song in Maschine. I already got some decent kick and hihat sounds using a lot of compression and EQ.

From my understanding of the contest rules, you can only use plugins as effects (compression, limiting, etc) that are freely available and nothing that colors the sound such as EQ, phasers. distortion, etc.

I'm sure BJ will come by and clarify this but that is my understanding from what I read.
Transient shaper is ok (It's not mentioned in the rules so it's fine). As always, just use your judgement not to push things too far :tu:

I've never entered the OSC before, but I do own the Synthmaster Everything bundle so I'm interested in participating. I don't know how to tell what presets/banks might use SFZ inputs or not, I guess I'll just go by what is specifically blacklisted.

Also, I thought perhaps the point of the challenge was to try to design your own sounds from scratch? I've been going thru Syntorial (about 50 lessons in) so I'm starting to get a better grasp of synthesis, but I'm still a long way away from easily reproducing sounds in my head.

I assume that since someone was talking about using an ARP generator (blue arp?), it's cool if I use the Bitwig Drum Machine, dropping Synthmaster instances into each drum pad? It's built into the DAW. I usually use my SparkLE to make drums, so I haven't tried direct drum synthesis. Will be interesting to give it a go.

I love how Synthmaster sounds...it was my first major synthesizer purchase. But I'm not super fond of the workflow, it's not very intuitive or visually obvious like Massive or Polysynth. I really hope that they overhaul the GUI for Synthmaster 3...the preset browser is great, but the mod matrix is clunky IME. I still don't really understand how much the knobs in the matrix affect the results or how the add/multiply works...I like how in Massive and Polysynth you just drag and drop the amounts and instantly see exactly how much you're modulating the knob. I also feel like the user manual glosses over a whole lot for someone who isn't already an expert in sound design...it wasn't until video tutorials started showing up that I had any clue what was going on, lol.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Return to “Instruments”