{NEW} ('Windowpane 1' &) 'Porthole 1'

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had a soundworld in mind, and became hyperfocused in one area and went astray with something that was never going to happen. Abstract and detached... and boring.
I touched a couple of notes in the more melodic area and the instruments told me what to play and we're back to more of the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LHoxau0x7M

Now with second installment of [see below]
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 am, edited 7 times in total.

I really liked the vibe you established with the pluck/percussion sounds. It reminds me of Japan (not that I've ever been there). It's quite delicate, but I guess that leaves room for contrast with other things later. Interesting times when an idea first starts taking root and the weather forecast is uncertain.

Good work :)

Thanks for that, because of this word 'pluck'. The only actual plucking is the guitar part which I kind of like to not go plook.
I guess a couple of the keyboard parts feel that way.

But now I thought, there should be some plucked things. I don't want to go full Koto and cliché... I'm really holding back here.
But I trotted out this old Gigaharp patch I converted to Kontakt a couple months ago, consolidating and collating (and cleaning up) what I have.
The 'Large Plate' on the master bus in the instance I chose, sending this thing to it gives up this incredible lushness. And the harp as a part glues some parts together.
So I went full-on pretty with it in the new version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LHoxau0x7M
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 am, edited 11 times in total.

Quality stuff!

Nice work, jan. A Koto would have probably overpowered the other sounds here. That Gigaharp has a nice "integrated" position in the mix. Are you using an algo or impulse on the master? I've been playing with impulses recently and I can see myself putting them to some use in the near future.

it's a hybrid, convolution early reflections, algo late. "Large Plate" in Hybrid Reverb. The tone of the harp is a blur in the general wetness of the track but in playback it's an incredible sound.
I don't think I went with 'Large' plate before. Windowpane 2 is going to start with harpeggios and it will be more exposed.

here there are 4 'master buses' because 4 instances of VE Pro. But the keys and tuned percussion, the winds and strings of 2 of them sends to Large Plate. The latter's wet level and tail level are a lot higher than the former.

The guitar sends to 'Eternal Hall' but it's set to reflect tight to its panning. That's an enormous sound. "15.6 s." The drums instance is relatively dry, to a scoring stage with very little tail.

FTR, I hated reverb before I got Convolution Reverb, I really was shy of it because of coloration, I did not want tinniness. I never had a good reverb due to money, though.

thanks for generous comments, you too sonik

Like both versions but I think the second is more interesting. That hanging note in the middle is very cool. Lovely track jancivil! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

thanks

the first one is rather plain compared to the subsequent one, which is now the finished piece.

Porthole 1, follows... [2nd part] same composition so same thread. Best heard as a 'pair' I think. This one features quite a contrast between first and last sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8MiNOXh5K8
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fabulous jancivil. Great sounds, in particular the subtle glissando...
Really love the guitar on the verge of feedback.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp

It starts out with a very "pleasant" and "reassuring" vibe and turns into something darker after 50 seconds. The guitar/verb at the end works very well. I really liked the bass at 0:43. It had a "warm" sound which the reverb managed to disguise effectively. Great video FX too and the credits sequence at the end was cool, reminded me of "Alien".

Good work :)

thanks guys

yeah, I love the reverberation on that last dirty bit of amp tone.
the next thing I'll present is total guitar solo where you really get to hear the lushness of it exposed.

Looking forward to that :tu:

Me too! :)
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”