VST 3 modular subhost?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

does this exist and I'm just not seeing it? I want the host itself to run as a VST 3 plugin/ instrument (I know metaplugin loads vst3 plugins). So is this a thing. Or maybe a thing one of the many sub host developers is planning on implementing? It would make my day for sure as it would allow for easy sidechaining with any plugin within my dumb cubase.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

What do you mean exactly by 'modular'?

Something like metaplugin or Mux or bidule, but that is itself a vst 3 plugin with a sidechain input.

Im not aware of one, Im afraid. Even the couple which host VST3 (Bidule, MetaPlugin) are not yet VST3 themselves...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Ah_Dziz wrote:does this exist and I'm just not seeing it? I want the host itself to run as a VST 3 plugin/ instrument (I know metaplugin loads vst3 plugins). So is this a thing. Or maybe a thing one of the many sub host developers is planning on implementing? It would make my day for sure as it would allow for easy sidechaining with any plugin within my dumb cubase.

JJ
Not clear why you need the subhost itself to be VST3. Since Cubase also loads VST2 why can't you use the VST2 version? It still loads VST3 and you would get just as easy sidechaining with that as you would with a VST3 version.

No you wouldn't. If the subhost is VST2 Cubase doesn't see any sidechain inputs.

geroyannis wrote:No you wouldn't. If the subhost is VST2 Cubase doesn't see any sidechain inputs.
Yeah but why is that an issue, surely the point of using a sub host would be to do the side chaining inside it, not having it as the sidechained device?

I don't think the OP said that he wants to do the side chaining inside the subhost.
I think he wants the subhost to be kind of a wrapper, so that any VST2 plugin with a sidechain input can be used easily in Cubase, rather than using the quad group trick.

It doesn't look like he's said one or the other, just that he wants easier sidechaining with VST2 plugins. Since there isn't a VST3 subhost at present doing it inside the subhost may be the only option and that is why a lot of people use modular subhosts anyway.

I would like to be able to do any type of routing I want. Which is only currently not a pain in the balls with vst3 in cubase. Hopefully one of these will get updated to vst 3 at some point. I think the Bidule guys said that was in the cards.

The only subhost I've found that can pass on a VST3 sidechain to its hosted VST3 plugins is the Waves SoundGrid Native subhost they're currently offering for free to their customers. It works fine in Cubendo. But unfortunately, AFAICT, it only works with Waves plugins.

Seems to be a hard nut to crack for most devs. Mind you, it should also be possible to wrap 2.4 plugins and re-route the host's VST3 sidechain to the 2.4's extra channels, but no one is doing that. I think the whole thing is in limbo in part because many devs are expecting Steinberg to streamline their VST3 code, while Steinberg expects the devs to do the legwork. :shrug:

Return to “Effects”