Love for OP-X Pro II

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Except Matrix 1000 doesn't really sound like an OB-X, not even close.
The freeware doesnt sound like my Matrix 1000 either. So not like an OB-X, nor like a Matrix 6 or 1000. Seems only its name sounds *right* :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Having come from the old hardware days, I love the GUI. Takes me back. In fact, I wouldn't love the synth as much if they redesigned it. We all know what it's supposed to be and they did a great job doing it.

The sound is amazing. The only thing I don't like is that it's 32 bit and sometimes it acts up on my PC. Also, the mod wheel assignment is wonky the way it works. Drives me totally up the wall. Would be nice if you could assign an initial starting point instead of every assignment starting from the lowest level. But as soon as you touch that mod wheel, the parameter it's controlling, say filter cutoff, goes all the way down to completely closed. Really wish they would change that.

Other than that, no complaints.

I wish this was on Mac, I have considered getting the Reaktor version but not sure how close it is to the Synthedit one (or maybe it sounds even better?) - I presume it doesn't have the same presets?

I agree, its GUI is unfortunate, just like with Poly-Ana. On the other hand it is one of the few synths that come with good and usable factory presets.
The sound is very pleasant to my ears.
I liked the OBXD initially, but somehow I never touch it anymore. Occasionally I still play around with Aly James' mini Obi, though :hihi:

Personally I found the OBXD to be a very lacklustre effort.

zerocrossing wrote:First and foremost, the UI is terrible.
Yes, I remember having been on the fence buying it, but not with that GUI. Not everyone has the eyesight of an eagle... 8) Not as bad as that infamous Arturia GUI massacre I have to admit. :roll:

It has a nice preset library with many famous sounds (they are not afraid to tell you about the sounds, other than Monark where you should guess the preset names).

But finally I stuck to my (mainly U-he influenced) principle not to reward bad interface design with my money. :D

I just tried the demo again and I still don't get the love for this synth......pretty common sounding to me :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

IMO, if you're looking for OB-type synth and you're into vintage sounds and presets, then OP-X is a good choice, as long as you're OK with its SynthEdit sub-structure and jBridging to 64-bit. Many are happy with this setup. I don't want to start another SE discussion, but let's just say that I'm not into either.

What surprised me with the OBXD is not so much its sonic similarity to the OB-X (although layered with itself it sounds damn rich) but the remarkable variety of great sounds it's possible to coax out of it; that and the fact it's 32 and 64-bit native, very stable, and free (!), made it a no brainer for me to get into. Aly's contribution is interesting for its "balls-out about to blow up" signature sounds, but is limited in comparison. Between these two and Diva' inclusion of the Uhbie filter (also available in ZebraHZ, BTW), my textural OB needs are pretty much satisfied.
dune_rave wrote:Recently I emailed them,
and they are working on new version,
even planning a new GUI.... Can't wait :)
Not to discourage, but historically, almost every sale of the OP-X has mentioned that they were working on a 64-bit version. The common suspicion was that they were waiting for the 64-bit implementation of SE. I do hope they're working on a native version.

Nope, they're waiting for 64-bit SE, which will enable exporting to VST3 and AU as well.

if a user wants to just get the presets and not design sounds it is my understanding that they do have a player version which comes with the famous sounds and at $40 that is a bargain IMHO. Then if you truly feel you can match that sound with other less expensive synths you can try but why do so when you can pick up those hundreds of sounds for the price of a decent preset bank. Time is money and a preset bank this large is pretty valuable in terms of what it would take you to develop such a thing on your own if you were even capable of doing so. Now my philosophy is use mostly presets and save that time for playing and making music instead of designing sounds so your obsessions may differ to mine.

aMUSEd wrote:I wish this was on Mac, I have considered getting the Reaktor version but not sure how close it is to the Synthedit one (or maybe it sounds even better?) - I presume it doesn't have the same presets?
I have the reaktor version. All the presets work. Supposedly according to the author there is a slight difference in sound, but to my ears its very close.

I've also gotten OPX working under wine and it works quite well. PM me if you want details about setting that up.

If he's making something new I hope he will include better OSX support on this one.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I love the sound, but damn it's confusing to use! Many buttons have multiple functions, and you have all these other hidden features that are not very intuitive to new users. A lot of stuff on the interface has to be memorized by rote, which was never one of my strong points lol.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

I just discovered that patches do not save mod wheel assignments. I don't know if this is because I'm on 64 bit Windows or what but no mod wheel assignments are saved with the patches, whereas the OBXD patches do save the mod wheel assignments.

This is a little disappointing.

zerocrossing wrote:I think if Soundprojects could implement these changes OP-X would become one of the most talked about plug ins.
SONICPROJECTS ... :wink:

LOVE the OP-X Pro II!!!!!!!! I especially enjoy the "Famous" bank- lots of fun playing with those presets. :)

Return to “Instruments”