Need a good 49 key USB MIDI keyboard

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there folks!

Im looking to get a good MIDI keyboard. My budget is around $500-$600, bit Im open to pretty well all suggestions. I use Ableton Live along with a handful of VST synths. Im looking for something with plenty of knobs and faders, good keybed feel, I would prefer to get something with LED lighting for working in the dark (and for when I really need it cause my eyes will be shit from working it the dark!). Pads are an asset but not necessary. (I plan to get something dedicated for that. Maybe an MPC Ren. :D )

Im kind of feeling the Novation SL MKII 49, maybe - Maybe the AKAI MPK49. Mostly the former though. If anyone has experience with them and would let me know what they think, that would be great. Otherwise, all suggestions are welcome!

Huge thanks! Your all awesome in advance! :wink:
Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on
Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?
And did I hear you say he was a-meeting you here today
To take you to his mansion in the sky?

I'm also looking for a 49 key midi keyboard. I don't have the money yet, I hope next month.

I thought to buy Roland A300Pro or A500Pro because I like the quality, but due to my budget I'm now between the Roland A49 and Novation Lunchkey 49. They are for me the same price NZ$300. I haven't test them in the shop yet, but depending on what I read (and personal past experience with Edirol) I think Roland keybeds are with better feel. In general Roland keyboards are the least problematic and more durable among others.

Yesterday I bought Live Intro 9 and I liked it. I liked how easy to map the controller and in general very easy to find any info in seconds due to popularity I guess. This made me read and review more about the Lunchkey. I find it integrates with Live perfectly well without problems and the quality, many said, is not bad. I thinking to buy lunchkey now especially it has many buttons to trigger the clips ...etc. Well, if it lasts for 2-3 years (home use) that would be great, after 2-3 years will be another DAW and another controller! I really don't want to spend more than that on a midi keys/controller (the real good keybeds/high quality only exist in expensive or top of the line synths/workstations).

If I decide to wait (for any reason), then I will wait for the Korg taktile /Triton (depends on the their prices here, I would see if the Triton one will be my target).

I've tried pretty much every MIDI keyboard on the market, except for the Arturia ones. See below for my roundup of the main ones I can remember.

Novation Remote SL - good keys, but unusable due to terrible velocity curves.
Novation Impulse - great keys, but unusable due to terrible velocity curves.
M-Audio Axiom Pro - great keys (exact same as Impulse), but poor drivers.
M-Audio Axiom - average keys.
M-Audio KeyStation - average keys.
Roland A*Pro - great keys and excellent velocity curves, but slightly smaller keys than standard.
Roland A-49 - same as A*Pro.
Behringer UMX - average keys.
Akai MPK - the worst keys I've ever used.
Nektar Panorama - good keys, but the unit is way too big.

Basically every MIDI keyboard on the market sucks badly. I was prepared to pay good money, but it seems like all the manufacturers are just pandering to the needs of big room house noobs that can't play keyboard and just want faders, knobs and flashing lights.

I ended up buying a Roland A-49. It would be the perfect keyboard if the keys were full size.

echosystm wrote:........I ended up buying a Roland A-49. It would be the perfect keyboard if the keys were full size.
That's the exact reason I did not buy the Roland. With my big paws the smaller keys were unplayable for me.

I have a Roland D-20 from many years back and the keys are perfect. I assumed the A-49 to be the same key size and was surprised to find them smaller when I went to the local music store.

Too bad cause Roland makes some top notch gear.

So I went with the Axiom Pro-49. To me the keys were a better fit, much more sensitive and responsive than many of the other brands and does not feel like junk (like many of the other brands).

Oddly, I felt the Novation keyboards to be real junk while the Zero SLMkII was a great piece of hardware. So I bought it too! :hihi:

I've had no problem with drivers for the Axiom Pro-49 so I'm not sure what issues you have had echosystm.

Bottom line here is you have got to go where you can demo these devices to determine if they are right for you. Before jumping in to a purchase do the research.

This was a great post echosystm gave to get you started to learn some of the nuances of the machines. Follow up and research customer reviews, expert reviews, KVR members and other forum posts, etc. and go demo. The only way you will know for sure if one is better for you than the other.

Good luck in your search! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I'd go for the SL .... only because I have the original 25SL, and find it spot on for my needs. As mentioned above, it's not perfect, but is probably the best at that price point.

now we just need a script for the axiom pro 49 for bitwig studio
so we can use the transport controls, mapping the knobs and faders works
perfectly

cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

liking a Keyboard is a very, very subjective value. you have to Play the keys and try the knobs and faders before you get an Impression. you'll get here 20 Responses and at least 40 opinions...

I know a lot of people don't agree, and it is a fairly expensive controller (49 key is $600 USD), but if you use NI Komplete 10 (I think Komplete 9 works as well), it's hard to beat Komplete Kontrol, imo. It's not as effective with other plug-ins not made by NI (it works, just not exactly the same as it does with their own products), but if you use their software, it's amazing. It has made working with Komplete software a thousand times easier and quicker than it is with any other controller. Again though, if you don't use Komplete software, I'd look elsewhere.

And I agree 100% with TrekStar... it's very subjective. If there's any way possible to try them out before buying anything, I'd definitely recommend that.

Over the years I have noticed that keyboards have very poor resale value. If possible, I would get on the other side of the equation and buy one used. $600 will buy a really nice used keyboard.

I have the akai MPK49, the drum pads are not very responsive, the keys are not forgiving for recording yourself, the faders and the knobs are a plus.

I agree the best keys are the ones from roland, but the size might not fit some people.

Getting a second hand hardware synth might do the trick.
dedication to flying

I'm really happy with my Arturia Keylab 49. I can definitely recommend this keyboard.
http://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid- ... 9/overview

Shop around, because you can save a lot of money depending on where you buy it and what offers they have. I got it as a bundle deal with Bitwig Studio for something like $325.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

I've got this:
http://www.thomann.de/en/maudio_axiom_49_advanced.htm

Solid keys. Easy to install and configure.
Nice velocity feeling and you can also adjust the sensitivity from its own panel.

I realize that this may stir the waters a bit, but have you considered Behringer motor series: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Motor49

The rotary encoders look like they are inherited from the X-32 series of mixing desks. Semi-weighted keys, motorized faders for DAW mixing control, etc.

I have not personally touched one - but I can vouch that the X-32 desks are quite nice (Midas designed) and the monitor mixers that pair with them are untouchable for function/spend.

That said as for used - avoid the M-audio Oxygen 49 silver models. Terrible keybed and the sliders would scratch in their slots - bad fit between the cover of the axe and the metal posts of the sliders.

Paschalis I. wrote:I've got this:
http://www.thomann.de/en/maudio_axiom_49_advanced.htm

Solid keys. Easy to install and configure.
Nice velocity feeling and you can also adjust the sensitivity from its own panel.
This is a nice choice :tu:

I also liked the Motor by Behringer. Anyway, I have the M-Audio Oxygen 49 (3rd Gen.- The blue one) for over a year now. It works great and I'm very happy for my choice. It's an inexpensive and a good quality keyboard for the price. I probably will use it for another two or three years (I don't need after touch) but I would choose Axiom 61 if it breaks.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”