Diva on a Windows8 tablet ...

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just wanted to say that I'm very much impressed by the performance of Diva on a Windows netbook/tablet (Asus T100TA). The CPU load is evenly distributed to all four cores (Atom Z3740, 1.33 GHz). Of course I play in draft mode and don't stack voices, with 512 samples buffer.

Still, I didn't expect to play Diva in real-time without crackles on this small machine. In fact I didn't even try until today. FM/crossmod, additional effects, hardly ever a glitch. Also when changing parameters while playing. There are many other softsynths that play not very nice. And as we know, most of them don't have the quality in analog emulation of Diva. I was testing more than a dozen softsynths with interesting sound engine, there was almost none that performed well. I was thinking FM8 was the only synth on this machine I could play without problem, and now I can also play Diva! What an unexpected surprise.

I realise that Diva not only sounds good, it is also a very efficient software, making optimal use of the available computer resources. On my DAW computer with much more horsepower it was not so obvious because everything runs fine there in real-time.

Besides, the T100 uses not much energy. About 10W. The attached powered USB hub with interface, keyboard, and thumb drives also about 10W. A very energy efficient solution that can be powered with a solar panel and power tank.

In my 1st gen surface pro I can conly run one instance in "fast" before glitchs.
dedication to flying

Diva runs well in Great mode on my Surface Pro 2, as long as Multicore is enabled and I have the Surface in High Performance power mode. I'm usually at 128 samples of latency with an RME interface. If I drop down to Fast mode, most patches are totally usable at 64 samples of latency. Some very polyhphonic patches are too much for it to handle at 64, but by and large the performance is very impressive.

I'm considering picking up a Windows tablet to run a single instance of Diva live. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to run USB direct from the controller keyboard to the tablet, and use the tablet's audio output direct to my mixer; IOW, create a tabletop Diva 'module' for stage.
Are you guys able to control/program Diva fully from a touchscreen ?

Journeyman wrote:I'm considering picking up a Windows tablet to run a single instance of Diva live. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to run USB direct from the controller keyboard to the tablet, and use the tablet's audio output direct to my mixer; IOW, create a tabletop Diva 'module' for stage.
I would do it without an audio interface, for latency and for proper audio outs.
dedication to flying

Journeyman wrote:I'm considering picking up a Windows tablet to run a single instance of Diva live. For simplicity's sake, I'd like to run USB direct from the controller keyboard to the tablet, and use the tablet's audio output direct to my mixer; IOW, create a tabletop Diva 'module' for stage.
I would definitely recommend using an audio interface instead of relying on ASIO4All or WMD. There are a number of very portable options. If you can swing it, the RME Babyface is perfect for this.

I also prefer an ASIO interface. And I just ordered a 7-port USB3 hub for the tablet. I have a 4-port hub attached which works fine for interface, keyboard, trackball, and drives, but for some situations I might need more ports. For example for the Leap Motion device to create MIDI/OSC data.

Controlling Diva directly from the touchscreen I find a bit limited. For certain actions (faders, knobs) and preset change, a 10" screen may work. For bigger sized screens it won't be a problem to control everything with ease, but! It's only mono-touch. Ironically I use an iPad running Lemur to control Diva. Because the Diva GUI is always reflected in Lemur* it is easier to control Diva with a second tablet. I can hide the Diva GUI entirely and have the screen free for the DAW.

*works only in Cubase

Return to “u-he”