Logic Pro X froze when opening RapidComposer (solved)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, I know this is rather a bug of Logic Pro X and the IAC Bus than Rapidcomposer's fault. But as I know you are incredibly helpful and nice here in this thread I thought maybe you could help me with this.

I'm on a mac with OS 10.8.5. Rapidcomposer is running through the IAC Bus into Logic Pro X. Great thing so far.
But the one big problem is that when I open Logic Pro before Rapidcomposer, Logic will freeze everytime when I open RC.
When I start Rapidcomposer first, it's ok. But only until I quit Rapidcomposer. Then Logic freezes again.
I assume it has something to do with the IAC Bus. But I still don't know what I could do about this.

Any help appreciated!!

All the best, Soman!
Last edited by Soman on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hello Soman,

I wish I could help, but I have no Logic Pro.
Does this happen when using the "RC Virtual MIDI Output"? Or did you choose "IAC Bus..."?
As far as I know there have been no issues with the virtual MIDI output.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Ok, I tried with RC's Virtual Midi Output and none of RC outputs set to the IAC bus. I even deleted all IAC Buses from my system. Still the same. :/ RC crashes Logic Pro X on start and exit if Logic Pro X is running. When I start Rapidcomposer first and the Logic, als is fine until I quit RC...

The same works well on 10.10 with Logic Pro X. I suspect this is an OS X issue because MIDI message routing between applications is done by the OS.
When you start Logic Pro X, and then start RapidComposer, Logic will display "Changed number of midi inputs". The RapidComposer MIDI output is recognized, and is immediately usable by Logic. Similarly when you quit RapidComposer, Logic will display "Changed number of midi inputs", but nothing crashes. So I don't think this is a bug in RapidComposer.

Thanks,
Attila

I can also confirm that, for me at least, I'm not having the problem discussed above running RC and Logic 10.1 on Mavericks 10.9.5. So maybe it's a Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.5) issue.

Which I know is not helpful or a solution for the original poster. I understand perfectly why you might still be running 10.8.5; I know I'm always reluctant to update operating systems as long as things are generally running smoothly. I myself only recently (about two months ago) took the plunge from 10.8.5 to Mavericks (which thankfully worked out fine), and have no intention of moving to Yosemite anytime soon. Still, these random (and growing) issues are the unfortunate price one pays for sticking with older operating systems that are several years "out of date" (so to speak).

(Or, of course, it could be some other conflict in your particular system, since, to be honest, I don't recall having this problem while I was running Mountain Lion either. Which I know is even less helpful. :wink: )
Last edited by SirkusPi on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for your input, SirkusPi! I fully understand that one sticks to a well-working configuration. There are many RC users still using 10.6! Which is a big problem for me to support so many OS X versions ;)

BTW the same happens on Windows. I refused to use Vista, so upgraded to Windows7 and I am happy with it but won't use Windows8 and will upgrade to Windows10 in summer...

Thanks,
Attila

Ok, thank you for the useful hints so far. At least I know now that I can make a search for Logic X crashes on changed number of midi inputs. Maybe I'll find something. I will tell you!

Well well well, never mind... Digging deeper, I finally found out what caused this problem. It is because of my old Korg microKontrol miniature keyboard I have here on my desktop for practical reason (because my desktop is to small for my Novation 61SL MKII). This thing already caused me trouble in the past. Logic Pro X has the microKontrol in the control surfaces list. I deleted it from there and powered the microKontrol off. The freezing was gone when opening RapidComposer. Then I powered the microKontrol back on again. Logic then instantiated two microKontrol control surface items. And now I can open and quit RapidComposer and everything is fine! :)

Sorry for blaming RapidComposer! I edited the topic to (solved).

All the best and thanks for your efforts, Attila. Thank you also for one of the best softwares around on my Mac these days. :)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”