Xils-Lab miniSyn'X [A new happy user : Mr Jean-Michel Jarre ]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
miniSyn'X

Cool - I just noticed that the minisyn'X got it's product page here at kvr ! :-D

I have a feature request: Velocity to pitch envelope amount (I believe they term it as "glide", but it's basically a pitch ramp down for making sync sweeps). I like the depth of my sync sweeps to be velocity dependant. I can get by without a modulation matrix on a synth of this type, but this is one assignment that seems sorely lacking IMO.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Just had another play with the synth. After about 2 minutes I got a very loud blast of noise and then the sound engine cut out. No crash, just silence. Again, I was playing with the various types of modulation, including the saw and triangle modulation, ringmod, sync, etc. That was a very nasty and loud sound but obviously not everybody is getting it. I'd just warn - be careful!

Flicking through patches doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's just when you change the oscillator settings a lot - which is of course my approach to sound design :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Just had another play with the synth. After about 2 minutes I got a very loud blast of noise and then the sound engine cut out. No crash, just silence. Again, I was playing with the various types of modulation, including the saw and triangle modulation, ringmod, sync, etc. That was a very nasty and loud sound but obviously not everybody is getting it. I'd just warn - be careful!

Flicking through patches doesn't seem to cause any problems, it's just when you change the oscillator settings a lot - which is of course my approach to sound design :)
Can you re-create the error and give me the exact data of what you did so that I can see if I too can re-create this? Just to make sure it's the synth and not something specific for your system.

sfd wrote:
Sendy wrote:Just had another play with the synth. After about 2 minutes I got a very loud blast of noise and then the sound engine cut out. No crash, just silence. Again, I was playing with the various types of modulation, including the saw and triangle modulation, ringmod, sync, etc. That was a very nasty and loud sound but obviously not everybody is getting it. I'd just warn - be careful!

Can you re-create the error and give me the exact data of what you did so that I can see if I too can re-create this? Just to make sure it's the synth and not something specific for your system.
I'll give it a go next time I have some free time. I suspect what is happening is when the algorythm is changed in mid "flight", sometimes something is getting neglected and overflowing or something. Yeah, that's a lot of "something" :) If anyone else wants to try, just make an init patch, set up a typical sync sweep patch, then go crazy turning all the waveform buttons on and off, with LFO modulation sent to both PWM oscillators.

Lotuzia wrote:
atukao wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
GruvSyco wrote:Not too interested in the synth itself but, just wanted to say thanks for doing another synth w/serial protection. If this ever happens with the Kobol, I'll be on it like white on rice.
It will very probably happen. Xils 3 le, Oxium, the MiniSyn'x and PKB Player are serial ony. Xils3, Xils 4, and now the Syn'X 1.xcan use soft Ilok ( No dongle required ) protection. I can't see why the PolyKB would not follow in the more/less near future.
To clarify; does that mean Xils 4, Syn'X 2 and PolyKB II would all become serial protected?
No. it means that they all ( Xils 4, Xils 3, Syn'X, Vocoder 5000 ) already can, or will (PolyKB ) , benefit of the soft ilok protection, which means no physical dongle required, ad is a bit similar to NI C/R response protection for example. Like Ni C/R protection scheme, I see this as an intermediate step between the serial only protected synths, like MiniSyn'X and the only physical dongled protected synths, like the PolyKB at the moment we speak together : you dont nedd a physical dongle, but its not a serial either.
soft licenser would lock it to one computer though, correct? That's how my elicenser is. Example... at this very moment my primary workstation is tied up so, I'm sprawled out on my bed on my macbook. 2 usb ports = trackball and Push (still fairly portable and easy to quickly set up and take down). Can't really dongle without setting up a hub. Can't soft elicense because it's not my primary workstation.

Not trying to argue my case or anything. Simply stating that under the circumstance which I work, iLok/eLicenser is not convenient and will continue to prevent me from enjoying many very nice pieces of software. I've already once exchanged email with Xavier on this subject and just wanted to pop on this thread to voice my approval of another Xils synth gone serial. (I actually bought the Xils3 LE).

Sendy wrote:I have a feature request: Velocity to pitch envelope amount (I believe they term it as "glide", but it's basically a pitch ramp down for making sync sweeps). I like the depth of my sync sweeps to be velocity dependant. I can get by without a modulation matrix on a synth of this type, but this is one assignment that seems sorely lacking IMO.
yes a ramp down with a precise curve. You can apply it to the pitch of any of the oscillators and also to the filter. You have portamento, and glide. And its one of the possibilities to modulate the pitch of OSC2 when you have engaged the Hard Sync.

Note : Just to mention that on its big brother, the Syn'X you can easily do that with any of the 2 freely assignable additional enveloppes via the matrix modulation ( You can even modulate any segment of all enveloppes with any parameter as the source like velocity ) Its very usefull for percussive sounds as you can layer several sounds and have micropitch enveloppe/velocity driven variations for example, making them very lively and organic.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I (Tom from Synth Anatomy) want to share my sound overview of miniSyn'X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuaoUg8zbA
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:I (Tom from Synth Anatomy) want to share my sound overview of miniSyn'X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuaoUg8zbA
Thanks Tom :)

I saw that you have automated the cut off via midi cc in the video. You can automate nearly all parameters, including the tracks on/off and the Gates of the Sequencer as well. I've made one template for my novation KB and it works like a charm ( A template that is saved by the MiniSyn'x btw so if I change my midiKB the template wll still be there :))

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

sfd wrote:Cool - I just noticed that the minisyn'X got it's product page here at kvr ! :-D
Wow just saw that the MiniSyn'X is second rank in the product views yesterday. Xils-Lab will be happy !

Lotuzia wrote:
sfd wrote:Cool - I just noticed that the minisyn'X got it's product page here at kvr ! :-D
Wow just saw that the MiniSyn'X is second rank in the product views yesterday. Xils-Lab will be happy !
I'm sure it will be in the number 1 position soon, lots of bang for the buck (as they say).

Here are some ethnic drums I designed for it:

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pads/ethnic-drums

I have a question. It actually seems to pertain to all XILS synths. When I click "configure" in Live's plug in window so that I may add automation and knob control on my Push/Remote SL, nothing happens. All my other plug ins seem to work fine, but I remember Oxium didn't and a quick try of miniSyn'X reveals that it does not work either.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:I have a question. It actually seems to pertain to all XILS synths. When I click "configure" in Live's plug in window so that I may add automation and knob control on my Push/Remote SL, nothing happens. All my other plug ins seem to work fine, but I remember Oxium didn't and a quick try of miniSyn'X reveals that it does not work either.
In Windows - Alt+Win+Ctrl + click the slider, knob,button you want to assign to your MIDI controller.

Hope that helps :-)

Usually it's more often professionals who uses XILS-Lab's instruments. But now it seems like others also have discovered the hight quality of XILS-Lab's instruments.

I guess that the big boys will go for the Syn'X 2 when it's released.

However the minisyn'X is really a very hight quality "budget" synth. Being aware of that the price often is viewed as a marker for quality. Something we all know is not always true. Especially not in this case. It's really very rare to see such a high quality and well coded soft synth for such a low price.

Due to it's increasing popularity it's obvious that there are a lot of people who have discovered this.

While I first though that I would be pretty much alone having this unique sounding synth it now appears that it's about to become a standard in many people's synt collections.

sfd wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I have a question. It actually seems to pertain to all XILS synths. When I click "configure" in Live's plug in window so that I may add automation and knob control on my Push/Remote SL, nothing happens. All my other plug ins seem to work fine, but I remember Oxium didn't and a quick try of miniSyn'X reveals that it does not work either.
In Windows - Alt+Win+Ctrl + click the slider, knob,button you want to assign to your MIDI controller.

Hope that helps :-)
No, it doesn't ;)

Midi Automation and plugin parameter automation are not the same thing.

Return to “Instruments”