List of Daws for the ipad?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dumbledog wrote:
Spiritos wrote: iMaschine now supports audiobus. Beats Beatmaker's dm in any way imo.
Doesn't look like it has a sequencer tho unless I'm missing something. I'm using this with an Elektron Analog Four so I have some... rather specific workflow requirements which I'm still trying to map out. Maybe I should post my own thread on it sometime.

E: oh it does sequence. Hm.
I am a Maschine and iMaschine user. Big fan of Maschine and its workflow. But iMaschine has much work to be done on it. It's not that good... Lots of freezes when trying anything intricate or heavy or if there is lots of midi activity in iMachine going on. It's a very specific app IMO. The only thing I like about is I can do up really rough ideas on the go with it then go home at night and import them into Maschine. That's about it IMO. Which is sort of what its advertised by NI to actually do. All good except for when you start comparing its functionality to what's out there and what else and how much you can get for the price point iMachine is being peddled for. You realize how crippled and limiting it really is. My biggest beef with it is I can do rough and I mean really really rough sketches. I can't get into the tracks and fix or clean up midi notes. I can't get into 1/64 or 1/32 beat work. I have to do these big lump chunks and then when import into Maschine on my desktop I can start tinkering and fixing and tweaking. It's not a DAW or sequencer I would recommend for iPad platform. Nanostudio (which went on sale again) I find fascinating. Its one of those apps where the workflow and integration is just amazingly thought out and very stable with very few bugs as its been around and while and its been thoroughly thawed out. If you plan on just trying to see what and how far you can get with just using an iPad (no external recording of audio e.t.c) Nano is great.
Last edited by telecode on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
๐ŸŒ Spotify ๐Ÿ”ต Soundcloud ๐ŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

For me iMaschine is my go-to app for making beats. I've tried DM1, Beatmaker 2, Triqtraq, iMPC and the DM's that come with Nanostudio and Cubasis.

First of all the sounds imo are awesome and the workflow is so great I kept getting back to it -even at that time it didn't support Audiobus (and since I don't have a Maschine MK (yet) it was rather useless.
Now that it supports Audiobus I'm raving about it :)

About the functionalities: Because of audiobus integration a lot of editting (if you need it) can be done in an iDaw or with other apps.
In general I hold this to be true for any other app. Now that iOS apps are getting more and more fullgrown the iPad production environment feels more and more like a modular system somewhere along the lines of Tabletop (which now integrates iMPC Pro!).

Just to give you an idea of what iMaschine can do (for the people unfamiliair with it) check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2-1zD2pJA
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Spiritos wrote: About the functionalities: Because of audiobus integration a lot of editting (if you need it) can be done in an iDaw or with other apps.
Wait a minute, how do you edit the beats in iMachine in another DAW? Which other DAW are you using to edit the iMachine tracks on an iPad?

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote:Wait a minute, how do you edit the beats in iMachine in another DAW? Which other DAW are you using to edit the iMachine tracks on an iPad?
I use Cubasis as my primairy DAW and through Audiobus record iMaschine as Audio tracks and thus can 'only' edit it as audio. If you mean MIDI then "No" I don't know if that's possible (although I haven't dug into this but I suspect you can use an app like 'Midiflow' or 'Lemur' to route MIDI from iMaschine to another synth or dm).

In my worklflow however I do most editting in iMaschine itself and if I want to apply extra FX or mash it up I route it through Samplr, Sector or Tunrado or the sorts.

I agree the lack of a full-fledged sequenser makes it an acquired taste to edit in iMaschine itself since the pattern editting is 'rough' indeed but since I don't have a hardware Maschine (yet) I can't/don't compare the two so I don't feel like I'm missing out on something.

On the other hand when looking at iMPC Pro the latter offers more functionality in terms of MIDI-editting but somehow the workflow doesn't suit me and I simply prefer the sounds (and expansion packs) of iMaschine.

Since I am heavily debatting getting a used MK1 (selling for around 150 euros 2nd hand) a question for you though: It is possible to MIDI-edit the patterns in Maschine 2.0 right?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Spiritos wrote:
I use Cubasis as my primairy DAW and through Audiobus record iMaschine as Audio tracks and thus can 'only' edit it as audio. If you mean MIDI then "No" I don't know if that's possible (although I haven't dug into this but I suspect you can use an app like 'Midiflow' or 'Lemur' to route MIDI from iMaschine to another synth or dm).
I see. So you basically export it as audio and import into DAW.

In my worklflow however I do most editting in iMaschine itself and if I want to apply extra FX or mash it up I route it through Samplr, Sector or Tunrado or the sorts.
Will have to try those.
I agree the lack of a full-fledged sequenser makes it an acquired taste to edit in iMaschine itself since the pattern editting is 'rough' indeed but since I don't have a hardware Maschine (yet) I can't/don't compare the two so I don't feel like I'm missing out on something.
When you import the iMaschine project into Maschine you get to actually see how all over the place the midi notes are.
Since I am heavily debatting getting a used MK1 (selling for around 150 euros 2nd hand) a question for you though: It is possible to MIDI-edit the patterns in Maschine 2.0 right?
RE: Midi editing. Yes. MK will come with its software component which is the Maschine software on the desktop. In it you can edit your midi notes, transpose, add effects and automation tricks (e.t.c automate a frequency change from 10 to -10 on one part) and copy and paste that into other scenes. The big one to get your head around is the scene/group workflow when coming from a traditional DAW like Cubase or ProTools. If you use iMaschine then you have it down IMO. Basically the project that you make in iMaschine and export into Maschine is one scene. Its doesn't matter if its 2 bars, 4 or 32 bars in length --- Its one big chunk of a scene. Its a very good tool for electronic dance music. Some of the more advanced EDM guys do some crazy stuff with it like have one pad fire and trigger multiple samples and midi note groups at once. i.e. One pad hit generates a complex chord and multiple samples at ones. Very cool stuff. I dont do that -- but its possible. I dont make EDM so in my case I do a lot of mixing in maschine and export all tracks and groups as audio and then import into a trad DAW like Cubase as I have to later on add real instruments like slide guitars and mandolins and stuff onto it.

telecode wrote:I see. So you basically export it as audio and import into DAW.
It's real-time with Audiobus so technically not even exporting. You just create an audiotrack in Cubase (or any other iDAW and route it).
telecode wrote: When you import the iMaschine project into Maschine you get to actually see how all over the place the midi notes are.
That sounds like a bummer. I suppose quantising it after importing will set things straight or is it really unusable?

Although I like to make more EDM, for now I mainly focus on singer-songwriting stuff so I'm taking babysteps in all the technical MIDI-routing and triggering. I am unsure if I ever will work that way though since I feel it's more for the 'new generation' and involves a lot of randomness while I like control and rather micro-edit than chop up randomness. Still... It's great it's possible!

Spiritos wrote: That sounds like a bummer. I suppose quantising it after importing will set things straight or is it really unusable?
Its not that big an issue. I mean the MIDI should not be 100% perfect, but it would be nice to be able to go into it and adjust it before having to go home and export/import. The Nanostudio guy did a great job IMO on his app. Totally understands iPad wordflow and platform. The way he did the midi editor is amazing.

Return to โ€œMobile Apps and Hardwareโ€