Hive preview (April 1 update)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not a big fan of those black wires and I also don't like that big empty space between the keyboard and the rest of the synth.

tedlogan wrote:I prefer the old look as well. The central hexagon's shell looked a LOT nicer, especially the top left corner, and the edges of the panels had these very slight highlights to them as if they had an ultra-thin bevel. The subtle gradients in colour were pleasing too. I love the old look.

I must add that I'm only viewing this at work on my crap work monitor - anything you view looks terrible on it, so I'll wait til I get home to judge. But the new skin does seem to lack character and seems more sterile.
I've just installed it. This new interface is Windows 95, the last one was Windows 7. I miss the old one. It had much more detail and richness. Even the preset browser looked better. The old one seemed lovingly crafted/drawn, this one is cold and lifeless.

I'm glad it's only an iteration.

Seq Gate as a Source option in the Mod Matrix now - I cannot always have missed this - it IS new right? Excellent either way.

EDIT: nevermind - I see I've used this on old patches.

GUI is really nice now - just a matter of taste I guess.

Is the CPU meter broken? That thing is barely moving... :clown:

Hi,
i´ve tested hive 64Bit in various daw and noticed that the cpu usage in Ableton live 9 and bitwig 1.1 is much higher than in cubase.
For example the AZ Lullaby preset needed in cubase 8 just 10% cpu usage. In Bitwig and ableton 30%.
The differences are not as high with other vsti plugins.

PC:
Intel Core 5
Windows 8.1 64Bit

holishit wrote:Hi,
i´ve tested hive 64Bit in various daw and noticed that the cpu usage in Ableton live 9 and bitwig 1.1 is much higher than in cubase.
For example the AZ Lullaby preset needed in cubase 8 just 10% cpu usage. In Bitwig and ableton 30%.
The differences are not as high with other vsti plugins.

PC:
Intel Core 5
Windows 8.1 64Bit
Check the CPU meter in Hive itself. It's super accurate (albeit not fast) and it measures just Hive, from host's call into the plug-in to end of process call. You might need to play chords though, depending on your CPU. I usually hold down all notes of 1 octave with 64 unsion saws to check things out.

e@rs wrote:Not a big fan of those black wires and I also don't like that big empty space between the keyboard and the rest of the synth.
Pssst… we have ideas for that. I specifically asked Basti not to reduce that space.

Fantastic GUI updates. Still would like to be able to lengthen or shorten the Seq gate with some other source.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Fantastic GUI updates. Still would like to be able to lengthen or shorten the Seq gate with some other source.
That is one of the fixes I have on my radar.

Urs wrote: Check the CPU meter in Hive itself. It's super accurate (albeit not fast) and it measures just Hive, from host's call into the plug-in to end of process call. You might need to play chords though, depending on your CPU. I usually hold down all notes of 1 octave with 64 unsion saws to check things out.
Thanks for the fast answer.
But the CPU meter in Hive increase more too in abelton and bitwig than in cubase.
I played only 4 notes of the AZ Lullaby preset

holishit wrote:Thanks for the fast answer.
But the CPU meter in Hive increase more too in abelton and bitwig than in cubase.
I played only 4 notes of the AZ Lullaby preset
Do you use the same sample rate and buffer size in all hosts?

I listened to some of the presets while on the train going home. Aiyn Zahev's are great, as usual, as are Arksun's. Ed Ten Eyck has some really good stuff but a lot of the patches (the musical ones, not the FX) are not in tune based on C3. Perhaps they're not finalized yet?

Also, it took a while to realise that the Preset button is now a toggle. I was looking all over for an X :?

Chapelle wrote: Do you use the same sample rate and buffer size in all hosts?
Same buffer size (512 samples) and sample rate (44Khz) in every daw

holishit wrote:
Chapelle wrote: Do you use the same sample rate and buffer size in all hosts?
Same buffer size (512 samples) and sample rate (44Khz) in every daw
Interesting. We'll check that out!

I'll check out the latest beta...looks like the user manual has been updated, which I appreciate. :)
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Return to “u-he”