One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: I think he's yanking our chain. LOL.
Yeah he might be April foolin'. Gonna take me at least a day or two to categorize all of these songs, maybe longer since I get distracted easily.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

wagtunes wrote:
Anthony Newcomb wrote:
z.prime wrote:Voted! That was an easy set of tracks to sift through! :)
Wow that was fast... :o
I think he's yanking our chain. LOL.
Heheh. April fools!! :) Haven't even managed to listen to them all yet! :cry:

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Anthony Newcomb wrote:
I like to roll a bag of 5 sided die, then line them up and score the tracks. Easy, and efficient

SoundGoddess wrote: Hrm I thought you could only use one DAW...I was wanting to master in Reaper because I was having some issues in Bitwig, but I thought it would disqualify me.
You're right. Multiple DAWs usage used to be allowed, but in the recent times that seemed to have changed according to the current rules: "More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (aka after bouncing a track or a stem). For example: One cannot master the audio in another software or service." But who cares :lol: I normally use the old Audition 3 to master tracks since it handles the plugins better than FL Studio (CPU-wise), but this round, I went with the rules just for the heck of it :) After all, OSC is all about overcoming the limitations :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
SoundGoddess wrote: Hrm I thought you could only use one DAW...I was wanting to master in Reaper because I was having some issues in Bitwig, but I thought it would disqualify me.
You're right. Multiple DAWs usage used to be allowed, but in the recent times that seemed to have changed according to the current rules: "More Clarification: Audio must not be touched at all once it leaves the DAW (aka after bouncing a track or a stem). For example: One cannot master the audio in another software or service." But who cares :lol: I normally use the old Audition 3 to master tracks since it handles the plugins better than FL Studio (CPU-wise), but this round, I went with the rules just for the heck of it :) After all, OSC is all about overcoming the limitations :)
Indeed. I think the big issue is some people potentially using multiple DAWs to get better mastering plugins, sorta like having a different set of commercial plugs. Although I think that's ok, since the plugs are allowed for some people... but then, I'm all for using commercial plugs, too. :)

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Anthony Newcomb wrote:
Ya got me ;)
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

me too

z.prime wrote: Indeed. I think the big issue is some people potentially using multiple DAWs to get better mastering plugins, sorta like having a different set of commercial plugs. Although I think that's ok, since the plugs are allowed for some people... but then, I'm all for using commercial plugs, too. :)

Well I do want to focus some energy learning Maximus, I think it's a decent quality mastering plugin.

I downloaded Dexed but it doesn't appear to have a user manual and I don't know the first thing about FM synthesis :O Maybe if I drink enough cough syrup I could make sense of it? ;)

I might have to put my attention elsewhere this month...like practicing with my breath controller to try to get some good saxophone sounds, getting deeper into Syntorial, and learning Maximus. Got a lot to keep me busy, but I'll wait til the official announcement for this month's challenge, maybe if there are some tutorials it will make sense to me.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

No April fools, have voted.

Only had this night. So: just from my heart and stomach, if I would have tried to use my brain it would have made me crazy with all that dedicated entries this time. And I dont think that should be the result (I mean: getting crazy), at least (for me) it is fun, learning, learning.....and fun. Today is voting, eastern is family, after that its just job again......

I did not have that big obvious winners then last time (richard.....), really lot of great tracks, it is really kind of unbelievable how much big ideas and emotions come in here together....I have kind of limited music taste in general (think mojo42 would agree to that :D but it really amazes me that song which are really absolutely out of my focus just vanguish me just because they are just GREAT....

Love and :hug: to you all

Richard

You know this has stopped being funny.

I am traditionally a very strict scorer. I don't give out 5's easily.

But this month is RIDICULOUS.

I had NO idea how much talent there was in this forum. I think they should give prizes to the top 10 for this one.

My head hurts. LOL.

tatanka wrote:No April fools, have voted.

Only had this night. So: just from my heart and stomach, if I would have tried to use my brain it would have made me crazy with all that dedicated entries this time. And I dont think that should be the result (I mean: getting crazy), at least (for me) it is fun, learning, learning.....and fun. Today is voting, eastern is family, after that its just job again......

I did not have that big obvious winners then last time (richard.....), really lot of great tracks, it is really kind of unbelievable how much big ideas and emotions come in here together....I have kind of limited music taste in general (think mojo42 would agree to that :D but it really amazes me that song which are really absolutely out of my focus just vanguish me just because they are just GREAT....

Love and :hug: to you all

Richard
Don't sell yourself short. I've got you up there with the best of the best this month, though I gotta be honest, there is a TON of great competition.

So much for my hopes of finishing in the top 50%. LOL.

Anthony Newcomb wrote:
z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Anthony Newcomb wrote:
Ya got me ;)
I'm a new face around here so this must be my initiation :)
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

By the way, Fantastic job on your submissions everyone! Lots of creative minds around here.

Well after researching for answers to the streaming quality/condition of my submission, I have come to the conclusion that It was probably a mistake using a Logic exported MP3 for the source upload. That, and it would have helped I'm sure to have cranked up the volume level/output of my mix and used a better limiter. I say this because others who have much louder songs, seem to have better streaming quality too...at least to my ears. It's disappointing to say the least that my project has been (what I call) "butchered" by Soundcloud's compression process. The MP3 version that I uploaded and thats available for Download, sounds so much better and represents the true sound of my song/work in comparison. I'm really fresh at the Mastering part of the creation process but I was shocked to learn that there is a whole other side to mastering...and thats preparing it for Social Media Platforms on the net that use compression software. I have a lot to learn and by reading everyone's posts, its helping me and giving me a much better Idea of what to do and what Not to do. At least for my personal records I still have the Master project for future tweaking...this is a good thing! Next time I'll take some extra time to upload a better prepared mix for any future KVR OSC's.

This really is a great place to learn.

Feel free to download my song if you'd like to hear what I heard before I uploaded it.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey Anthony Newcomb --

Don't upload a mp3 as your source file to Soundcloud. The mp3 is already being processed thru an aggressive routine of mathematical functions that are slicing and dicing the sound into all kinds of quantified pieces that it then reconstitutes into a semblance of the original audio. (To give you some perspective -- those of us who were around when mp3's became the standard for small file size digital audio had a saying: "Digital has lowered the bar"). Then.... once it hits Soundcloud, they do additional processing that is not good for keeping the sound accurate to your original intention. When I hear the Soundcloud versions of my songs I want to jump out the window.

Here's my advice for best Soundcloud reproduction. First, process your mix thru the Logic Adaptive Limiter. Watch some tutorials to learn how to use it. One tip is to set your maxmimum level to -0.2 or -0.3 -- DON"T master to 0. Depending how you set it up, the limiter can raise the overall volume and control peaks. It uses a lot of CPU so don't use it until you're getting ready to master. I like to gently use the Logic compressor before the Limiter in your signal chain -- I recommend you try the SSL presets, they sound pretty damn good when used in moderation as a "glue" compressor.

And last but not least, export your file as a .wav, either 16 or 24 bit, 44.1 or 48 k depending on what your audio setting in the project was. Remember, any tracks you freeze will be recorded at the sampling frequency you have selected, and it's good to avoid sample conversions if you can.

If you want more info or a more detailed explanation of mastering in a Logic session, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

I generally upload 192Kbps MP3 to soundcloud. It works fine. But it does produce noticeable artifacts if you don't get the levels pretty high, so that mastering bit is important for keeping it sounding okay on soundcloud.

Return to “Instruments”