One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It does seem to me like my song sounds better in WAV/FLAC than in the 320Kb encoding I used. I'm not as happy with how it plays back from soundcloud, I may not have left enough headroom because it seems like it might be getting clipped slightly. It's my first attempt at mastering a track though so I can't expect it to be perfect, I just hope enough people enjoy the song that I can get a ranking. Obviously my goal is top 5, but I'll be happy to be in the top 15 given how great everyone's submissions are.
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Well I jumped the gun on the Sfiks track. Ends up, soundcloud was sending back a string with bad characters causing an error to be thrown, based on text in the description of the track. So we removed the description, it works. Strange thing :o

SoundGoddess --
It's not just headroom. Leaving some dynamics in your track is very important for accurate reproduction from compression that encodes then decodes. If all the samples are close to the same level, the decoder will not be able to properly extrapolate the relative differences between samples. When we make audio for pro video applications (i.e broadcast thru satellite distribution) we have to comply with loudness metering standards specifically for this purpose. The Dolby LM100 loudness meter provided a way to measure dynamic range in order to preserve audio dynamics thru encoding and decoding. Keeping relative loudness parity between programs was also an effect of this. So if you run into a plugin that offers "Loudness Metering" it's worth learning a little about that as it will help you master in a way that survives compression.

My vote is in!

I'm very glad I stumbled upon this challenge. There are a lot of great songs and KV331 should be proud of the tracks spawned from this contest. It was fun to work exclusively in midi, I forgot how fun aftertouch can be as thats what I used to get the lead riff cranking. It also gave me a chance to get to know a synth that I had just purchased.

Thanks for the opportunity and I can't wait to do another one soon.

Mhouse

I'm voting now, and as always (OK, it's only my second time) it's really hard.

I must absolutely LOVE the sound of Synthmaster, because even the tracks that aren't my favorites have some absolutely awesome sounds in them... Since pretty much every track has great sounds I'm going to base my voting more on composition. All in all an amazing selection of tracks!

I have now voted!

All that remains is the 2-week-long process of changing my mind a lot and moving more songs up to "4" and "5" :)

Absolutely great lineup!

Just noticed my track - The Return of the Disco Riff King, had Download disabled, so I opened it up. (In regards to the quality discussion above..)
Changing handle to Subject36..

z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:That's kind of tough, especially if you want to use arpeggiated sequences and don't know if the new synth has a built in arpeggiator [...]
[...] though, you can just use an arpeggiator in your DAW. I always just use Bitwig's arp rather than the synths, so I don't have to bother learning a different one each time.
Am I the only one so old school that always play (well, "draw") the arpeggiated parts by hands? :)
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

ontrackp wrote:If you want more info or a more detailed explanation of mastering in a Logic session, feel free to PM me. Good luck!
Thank you ontrackp for your offer of assistance, that is much appreciated! What a pleasant forum.
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

Parduz wrote: Am I the only one so old school that always play (well, "draw") the arpeggiated parts by hands? :)
Nope :tu: Up until 6 months ago I had no idea there's actually a built in arp in Fl Studio, lol :lol: But after getting familiar with it and experimenting with BlueArp on the side, I still find doing it by hand faster and easier :dog: That's why I try to pitch the idea of onboard arps to all synth devs, heh :clown:
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
Parduz wrote: Am I the only one so old school that always play (well, "draw") the arpeggiated parts by hands? :)
Nope :tu: Up until 6 months ago I had no idea there's actually a built in arp in Fl Studio, lol :lol:
:o
This night i need to search for it....thanks!
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote:Am I the only one so old school that always play (well, "draw") the arpeggiated parts by hands? :)
I like to use arpeggiators to generate some ideas and then draw in by hand (or play ;) ) anyway. That way you can add all kinds of colorful variation that would not be possible in the arpeggiator alone. :)

never really used arpeggiators before, but this time I used the Cubase arp on one track and some patches from synth master with activated arp. It was kinda fun.

H-man wrote:
fese wrote:
MTLE wrote:
fese wrote:While downloading all OSC tracks for listening to them offline i noticed that a lot of files consist only of the track title. But as far as I understand the rules, it must be "artist-title":
Soundcloud File name format: Artist - Track Title where artist name is the same as KVR nick.
So I don't know how strict that rule is applied, but just as a precaution maybe people should check and fix their files.
I believe the rule is about the visible track title in SC to have it shown in the voting. This can be varied from the ulpoaded filename, which is used for downloads. Visible track names also often don't follow this rule. bjporter asks people to change it sometimes, so participants should take more care about this. He has enough to do with all the other stuff around here. Great job, Brian :clap:
Oh, so i misunderstood that rule. Still it would be nice if the downloaded files followed that rule, too. Makes it much easier when listening to them offline, a file name like "OSC73.mp3" is just not helpful.
Good point. I think Brian sometimes fixes the track titles for the Zip download that is made available after the submission date passes. Probably should remember to do this ourselves :oops: and save him the work. This also has the added benefit of helping listeners identify who's track they are listening to when not connected to the interwebs.
Exactly. It is the attention to detail that distincts the pro from the amateur, not only in sound design and production (Note to self: stop being a smartass and try to live by that rule yourself... :P )

Parduz wrote:
z.prime wrote:
wagtunes wrote:That's kind of tough, especially if you want to use arpeggiated sequences and don't know if the new synth has a built in arpeggiator [...]
[...] though, you can just use an arpeggiator in your DAW. I always just use Bitwig's arp rather than the synths, so I don't have to bother learning a different one each time.
Am I the only one so old school that always play (well, "draw") the arpeggiated parts by hands? :)
No your definitly not the only one...For myself, if the arpeggiated pattern I hear in my head is complex, I prefer to play the notes by hand or draw them in. I will however, sometimes use a soft synth's built-in arpeggiator if it meets the requirements of what I'm after. I find that laying down my own arpeggiated notes gives me more freedom to try different sounds with my patterns on the fly. Fun stuff...
Software: Logic Pro X - Omnisphere 2 - Spire - Synthmaster - BIAS Desktop - Alchemy 2
Gear: iMac 27" - Zoom Tac-2 Thunderbolt Interface - Presonus Studio Monitors - M-audio Midi Controller x2 - Guitars

Return to “Instruments”