Other VST synths with custom-shaped filters like LinPlug Spectral?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

I recently demoed Spectral, and although overall it didn't convince me, I find its ability to customize the filter shape in details extremely interesting and useful. I don't know of any other synth or sampler that has this feature. Do you?

Cheers

I guess additive synths, like NI's Razor, do this as well.
Isn't Spectral just an additive synth as well?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

IL Harmor
Amazon: why not use an alternative

spaceman wrote:I guess additive synths, like NI's Razor, do this as well.
Isn't Spectral just an additive synth as well?
Yes, it's pretty much an additive synth. I've never tried Razor. I might give it a spin.
Tnx!
VariKusBrainZ wrote:IL Harmor
Yup, I forgot about Harmor. Tnx!

What I'm really looking for is the ability to make two (or more) custom shapes and then use some modulation to morph between them.

What about using an Eq
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Virsyn Tera (probably did it first in a plugin)

aMUSEd wrote:Virsyn Tera (probably did it first in a plugin)
Are you sure it lets you customize the shape of the filters? From what I can see on their website, it says that you can indeed "morph between two 16 pole filters selectable from a set of predefined vocal filters", but nothing about being able to make your own shape for the filter.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:What about using an Eq
Hmmm... I don't see how that would work. I would like to have the filter section inside the synth, not added as an audio effect. Also, I want to have the filter "per voice" and to be able to keytrack it.

KTlin wrote:
Are you sure it lets you customize the shape of the filters? From what I can see on their website, it says that you can indeed "morph between two 16 pole filters selectable from a set of predefined vocal filters", but nothing about being able to make your own shape for the filter.
That's just the terrain filter, you have lots of pre set filter types to choose from but there is also the possibility to draw your own frequency responses for Filter A and B:

ftp://www.virsyn.de/vi/virsyn.de/TERA/T ... ickRef.pdf

Harmor is more powerful than you can possibly imagine in this area. Not only can you draw the filter shape, you can even draw the shape of the resonance, move the resonance and cutoff frequency independently of one another and add 'self oscillation' elsewhere. You want a combined low/band/notch filter with three resonant bumps 7 semitones above the cutoff frequency and self oscillation whine 12 semitones below the cutoff frequency? No problem. That's just the start. Nearly every parameter in Harmor can have its behaviour altered in this way. Once you start getting under the hood, the power lurking in those drop down menus is just insane. My latest trick is using a custom drawn shape with the Prism module to do octave whammy jumps on individual harmonics in resynthesised audio.

Yeah, basically Harmor is amazing.

cron wrote:Harmor is more powerful than you can possibly imagine in this area. Not only can you draw the filter shape, you can even draw the shape of the resonance, move the resonance and cutoff frequency independently of one another and add 'self oscillation' elsewhere. You want a combined low/band/notch filter with three resonant bumps 7 semitones above the cutoff frequency and self oscillation whine 12 semitones below the cutoff frequency? No problem. That's just the start. Nearly every parameter in Harmor can have its behaviour altered in this way. Once you start getting under the hood, the power lurking in those drop down menus is just insane. My latest trick is using a custom drawn shape with the Prism module to do octave whammy jumps on individual harmonics in resynthesised audio.
Good to know. I'm gonna demo it asap.
Thanks for your in-depth reply! :tu:

aMUSEd wrote:That's just the terrain filter, you have lots of pre set filter types to choose from but there is also the possibility to draw your own frequency responses for Filter A and B:
ftp://www.virsyn.de/vi/virsyn.de/TERA/T ... ickRef.pdf
Thank you, aMUSEd! I'm gonna try the demo. Too bad it has this quite outdated look. Also, from what I've read on this forum (even some posts you made), the future development for this plugin seems very improbable.

I agree there is room for doubt, but recently they brought out 64 bit versions of their plugins so I hope there is some life left in them yet, maybe a new version even?

I just found out that Virsyn Cube also offers custom-shaped filter, and you can also morph between them. However, as I wrote in my other thread ( http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=435960 ), I'm not impressed with the sounds coming out of Cube. I find them thin and sterile, so far.

cron wrote:Harmor is more powerful than you can possibly imagine in this area. Not only can you draw the filter shape, you can even draw the shape of the resonance, move the resonance and cutoff frequency independently of one another and add 'self oscillation' elsewhere. You want a combined low/band/notch filter with three resonant bumps 7 semitones above the cutoff frequency and self oscillation whine 12 semitones below the cutoff frequency? No problem. That's just the start. Nearly every parameter in Harmor can have its behaviour altered in this way. Once you start getting under the hood, the power lurking in those drop down menus is just insane. My latest trick is using a custom drawn shape with the Prism module to do octave whammy jumps on individual harmonics in resynthesised audio.

i still want to kick myself in the butt* for not buying it for US$49 a few years ago.

* will need to do much more yoga before i can accomplish this :>)
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”