Sublime/Stino - Building Linnstrument firmware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

I have watched Geerts video about development on the Linnstrument, this is very useful for me.

Having used and hated the arduino IDE I was very interested in his use of Sublime.

So I downloaded sublime, and installed the stino package.

For the life of me I cannot work out how to build the linnstrument code in it though.

I have arduino 1.5.8 installed, it builds fine using this.

I have used "Change sketchbook folder” and set it to the linnstrument code folder.

I have loaded “linnstrument-firmware.ino”

I have set the board to the “Due Programming Port”

When I validate I end up with some very strange error messages.

I’m obviously doing something wrong and wondered if anyone could point me in the correct direction?

Cheers

Andy
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Hmm, I actually think I had to hack Stino sources itself for the latest version of the Arduino IDE, I'll have a look later and send you what I have.
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

I would appreciate some guidance here also. I much prefer editing the code with Sublime as you recommend, but when building the code didn't work for me, I open the sketch in Arduino IDE for that. All of this is new territory for me, all of the programming languages and environments.

gbevin wrote:Hmm, I actually think I had to hack Stino sources itself for the latest version of the Arduino IDE, I'll have a look later and send you what I have.
Super, thanks for that.

Here's a fork of Stino with the small changes I had to do to get it to work with the latest Arduino IDE:
https://github.com/gbevin/Stino/tree/master
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Thanks, when you say latest Arduino are you talking about 1.6 or 1.6.2?

1.6, haven't tried 1.6.2 yet, sorry

Super, I will try 1.6.0.

I was just working back from 1.6.2 via 1.6.1, couldn't get either of those to work!

Trying 1.6.2 later today

Worked fine first time with 1.6.0 and your modified Stino, thanks.

One thing I am seeing though is that the error/warning lines are incorrect as they are in the concatenated file created from the .ino files.

I have tried enabling the "Bare GCC build" to see if this might fix this but then doesn't do anything when I verify.

Is they a way around this problem?

Thanks

No, there's no way around that, that I could find.
BobDog wrote:One thing I am seeing though is that the error/warning lines are incorrect as they are in the concatenated file created from the .ino files.

I have tried enabling the "Bare GCC build" to see if this might fix this but then doesn't do anything when I verify.

Is they a way around this problem?

Thanks

I got it working with Arduino IDE 1.6.3 on MacOSX, but it's a real hack job. Created a dedicated branch:
https://github.com/gbevin/Stino/tree/IDE_1_6_3

You need to install the required packages for the Arduino SAM Boards through the Arduino IDE board manager. These packages will be located in your home directory, on MacOSX:

Code: Select all

$HOME/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/
You then also need to create a symlink in the Arduino.app directory so that Stino can find the board.txt and platform.txt files. For instance:

Code: Select all

ln -s $HOME/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/sam/1.6.3 /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/sam

Thanks for that.

I have been looking at why stino is not displaying correct error lines and file info and it looks like the #line directives that the arduino places in the concat file are not there when using stino. Does this work for you?

Have not looked into that, in the year developing with Stino on the LinnStrument, it has rarely bothered me.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”