Anyone know how to get a lead to modulate like this?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cant seem to nail this. I tried Omnisphere hard sync to change the shape of the wave but I cant get the same effect as this lead. You can hear the tone morph in and out. I want to get that same phase/grinding effect you can hear.

Any ideas?
https://soundcloud.com/matthewcrowe/sample

Wavetable morphing probably. Try waveshaping too. There's some sort of ADSR linked modulation going on. I bet you could get something similar by using omnisphere's equivalent of waveshaping/wavetable morphing. Just put velocity and envelope controls on it so that the signal appears to morph midway through.

Thats what I thought but when you have a starting point such as this there doesn't seem to be anywhere to go as far as shaping goes. In its original state (before modulation) its quite coarse (sharp) which means when you apply wave shaping to modulate within a synth like Omni you cant grind it any further without it completely wrecking it, the end result is always much weaker. I want it to go the other direction.

I dont use omnisphere but a huge supersaw will give you enough frequency content to shape. Try some pulse width modulation too. FM Synthesis might be worth a shot too. If you scale up the Frequency Mod amount by envelope you should be able to tear the synth apart :-)

+1 for FM, this is very typical metallic FM sound and nowhere near saw. Just FM amount is modulated upwards.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Sound Design”