Anyone Use Vanguard By reFx? (Same Guys Who Make Nexus)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vanguard was a great synth suited for basses... but not much else. Modulation possibilities are very limited. Recently I replaced it with Serum.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Naenyn wrote:I submitted a ticket to ReFx's support system a couple months back about Vanguard. Dustyn responded with the following:
Dustyn wrote:Vanguard2 is still in the works, however no word on a release date yet. Stay tuned to our email newsletters and Facebook page!
I guess Tone2 are busy at the moment :hihi:
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

DJ Warmonger wrote:Vanguard was a great synth suited for basses... but not much else. Modulation possibilities are very limited. Recently I replaced it with Serum.
basses? are you sure you are talking about vanguard? i never used it for basses, it always does plucky arps or trance gate sounds in my tracks.

too bad those new synths suck up half your cpu. are you having fun freezing tracks?
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Darude was really into Vanguard. His most famous sound was just a sample in FastTracker II though.

I wonder what really happened with Vanguard.

I remember a couple of years ago, Mike wrote on their forum (yeah, it was _that_ long ago) that an update was imminent and the new version wasn't backward compatible with the upcoming v2. After that Mike and another coder had an insane argument here at KvR and since then - zero.

It would be really cool if reFX is teaming up with Tone2 to get it done. But I doubt it - it seems reFX and Tone2 went their separate ways years ago.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:. After that Mike and another coder had an insane argument here at KvR and since then - zero.
Wasn't that coder Markus from Tone 2 ? :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:. After that Mike and another coder had an insane argument here at KvR and since then - zero.
Wasn't that coder Markus from Tone 2 ? :?
I think it was acidose - but I really can't remember for sure. 100% it wasn't Marcus though.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Vanguard was my most used synth for filler stuff and the TONS of presets I had by a lot of great designers... when I went to 64 bit though, that era came to an end. I now use Synplant as my low cpu filler synth as it's 64 bit. I was hoping ReFx was going to come through with the update but they're obviously focusing on the "cash-cow" Nexus, which I can think of a number of synths I'd rather have. With great free presets.

YMMV. :phones:

Looking forward to a 64-bit build! I was an original beta tester of this one 10 years ago.. it makes some really nice sounds!

DrGonzo wrote: I think it was acidose - but I really can't remember for sure. 100% it wasn't Marcus though.
It was aciddose, I remember those times, there were some crazy stories flying about!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

DrGonzo wrote:100% it wasn't Marcus though.
Then why did Markus split from ReFx and form Tone 2 ?

I think that's we won't see Vanguard 2............
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

...still use Vanguard for Trance gate sounds...
fast and easy to use!
anyway new filters would be cool...

layzer wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Vanguard was a great synth suited for basses... but not much else. Modulation possibilities are very limited. Recently I replaced it with Serum.
basses? are you sure you are talking about vanguard? i never used it for basses, it always does plucky arps or trance gate sounds in my tracks.

too bad those new synths suck up half your cpu. are you having fun freezing tracks?
+1

Vanguard is/was for me a cheap but good substitution for a Virus. I wish it was 64-bit as I can't use it for any production work just now due to all my main DAWs being 64-bit only. It certainly had a unique and raw quality that made the SW sound different from the rest.

sounds pretty compressed already from the source imo
Used it in the beginning, good to learn but prefer others.

Return to “Instruments”