Exponential Audio Excalibur

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just starting to wrap my head around this thing. It isn't the most intuitive interface I've ever seen. How would I configure the routing so the effects are incorporated into the feedback loop for a single voice?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Of course I couldn't resist trying what I claimed was easy, and me bigmouth failed of course, as Excalibur uses resonators with a fixed pitch, and does not transpose things in relation to the incoming audio. So in Shimmer you set it to +12 semis and with the feedback loop each pass gets transposed up another octave, this is not possible in XCali.
Why didn't you use the vintage shifter algorithm?

Arrested Developer wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote: Of course I couldn't resist trying what I claimed was easy, and me bigmouth failed of course, as Excalibur uses resonators with a fixed pitch, and does not transpose things in relation to the incoming audio. So in Shimmer you set it to +12 semis and with the feedback loop each pass gets transposed up another octave, this is not possible in XCali.
Good question :) - back to zero.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Of course I couldn't resist trying what I claimed was easy, and me bigmouth failed of course, as Excalibur uses resonators with a fixed pitch, and does not transpose things in relation to the incoming audio. So in Shimmer you set it to +12 semis and with the feedback loop each pass gets transposed up another octave, this is not possible in XCali. Nevertheless while trying, I made these 3 presets which also sound nice. If you want to change the pitch of the resonators (tuned to C by default) use the soft knob and tune up all resonances scaled in semitones, +1 octave with the knob fully engaged. However it will sound nothing like shimmer and you have to tune it to the pitch of your song (or not).
Nice yes, Shimmer no :phones:
Having to change the pitch of resonators adds another level to how VShimmer works.
Maybe the key is in the Vintage Shifter.
The major issue is replicating the change that comes with each feedback loop I think.
Thanks for taking the time Simon. :clap:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Arrested Developer wrote:
Good question :) - back to zero.
Naa, the Vintage shifter produces totally garbled sound quality at transposition rates of 12/-12 semitones, whereas the feedback looping can be setup so that one creates an every rising/falling pitch transposition in the delay loop, the sound quality is so degraded, that it's not at all usable to imitate the Shimmer effect, but for crazy noise-art stuff it's gonna be great :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:Naa, the Vintage shifter produces totally garbled sound quality at transposition rates of 12/-12 semitones, whereas the feedback looping can be setup so that one creates an every rising/falling pitch transposition in the delay loop, the sound quality is so degraded, that it's not at all usable to imitate the Shimmer effect, but for crazy noise-art stuff it's gonna be great :)
Closest I can get to what I'm after (so far) is starting with the Res Filter (Keyword) Funky Filters 01 (Preset) with verb added to Voice 3 and Vintage Shifter added to Voice 4.
Then feed Excalibur into R2. :phones:

I want to like this, but I keep wondering if I'm better just implementing my own patches in a true modular environment such as Bidule, Max4Live, Reaktor, or the Nord Modular G2. I'm just having a difficult time warming up to this interface and I wish it had some nodes and wires to patch visually. All the cryptic abbreviated names and huge lists of similar mod sources remind me more of a 19" rack module then a VST gui.

Don't get me wrong though- it sounds great!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Is anybody using this with Cubase 8?

If so, have you had any luck changing presets with the arrow keys and alt?

I can only get it to change keyword (alt and up/down), sub category (alt and page up/down) but the command for changing individual presets doesn't work for me (it's supposed to be alt and right/left in Cubase)

deastman wrote:I keep wondering if I'm better just implementing my own patches in a true modular environment such as Bidule
Yes, this is a great option. I think Bidule is the most flexible and efficient modular environment to build its own multiFX inside a DAW, by far.
Another great solution to consider is the new Melda MXXX modular beast, but you have to own MTotalBundle first. Though given the incredible depth of MXXX, MTotalBundle is well worth the asking price anyway. It's a huge but solid investment.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Btw: on my new Mac Pro running Yosemite which I installed yesterday, Excalibur's GUI is constantly flickering and glitching, both on the 32" 4-k Retina display and on the 27" Thunderbolt too, something is seriously wrong here, audio is fine though.
This is a graphics driver issue that turned up in Yosemite. I have a number of multi-boot systems and the issue doesn't exist in the same plugins in Mavericks or earlier. I've been hoping that Apple would address whatever it is, but of course they're never forthcoming with this sort of thing. I'm planning on investigating this issue in depth during late spring/summer.

barryfell wrote:Is anybody using this with Cubase 8?

I can only get it to change keyword (alt and up/down), sub category (alt and page up/down) but the command for changing individual presets doesn't work for me (it's supposed to be alt and right/left in Cubase)
Same problem here.
Cubase8 on windows 8.1

jumper24 wrote:

Same problem here.
Cubase8 on windows 8.1
It works for me without the alt - just left right arrows to change category, up down to change presets within a category

Your implication that he should go some "extra mile" for you is rather unfair.
For ANY customer.....and actually, I think it is actually about an inch...UA does it for people all the time. IK just extended a group buy a short while back to get from 750 to 1000. People extend sales all the time.. What if it were 20 or 50 or 200 customers? I bet they are singing a different tune then. Its not like they have to go thru a bunch of red tape and agonizing pain to honor my request.....They just didnt want to. I didnt come strolling in 4 days later. I missed the sale by minutes.
I thought it was a pretty legit beef.

If i had a great product, id want to get it into the hands of as many people as possible. The more that have it, the more that talk about it. The more that want it.....Especially a relatively new company.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Excalibur will sound just as great at the full price
Do you sit around trying real hard to think of real real cool stuff to say? Or did you hear somebody else say it and think, man i would sound really cool saying that to somebody? :clap:

Well you can still try the demo to see if you really need or like it.
Thank you. Appreciate your response. I wished i would have known about it a little sooner, but this kind of experience doesnt really create a scenario where id want to tie up my money with a company. Ive been hearing a lot of positive things about phoenixverb in the last few days. Went to demo it, realized it was an Exponential Audio product, and said nope! Theyve made it clear that tardiness will not be tolerated.
There ya have it...

aMUSEd wrote:
jumper24 wrote:

Same problem here.
Cubase8 on windows 8.1
It works for me without the alt - just left right arrows to change category, up down to change presets within a category
That's very strange, as that's the opposite of what's stated in the manual.

Are you on Cubase 8 and Windows 8.1 yeah?

A mix with 4 instances of Excalibur.
All reverb (6 aux sends) using Exponential R2.
Thanks for the article Michael.

http://www.exponentialaudio.com/latest- ... UCYTiGqqzA

Return to “Effects”