Plugins Gone Native: Millennia TCL-2, MSEQ-2 & Vertigo VSM-3 - Discuss!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So guys, hardly any discussion about these. This is pretty exciting, anyone demoed? what did you think?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Loving the TCL-2 here, especially the vacuum tube mode. At low ratios (3:1 or less) on the mix bus it gives the right amount of warmth and glue to the entire track. It's very musical, though some may not like to use it in this fashion. It's easy to overdo, and it's still a character compressor that needs to be tamed. There's a little mix button that is easy to overlook but sliding up or down varies the mix between dry and wet for a parallel compression effect. But overall I like it very, very much.

Don't care much about the new MAAG EQ2 since the EQ4 is just fine for my use.

I did try the Vertigo VSM-3 on an EDM bass line this morning. Set the second harmonic on high and the 3rd on low and you get a subtle saturation effect which is pleasant. I still have a long way to go before I understand how to use this tool effectively but my initial impressions have been very good. Still experimenting with this one.

Didn't try the MSEQ-2 yet.
Last edited by Nightpolymath on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regarding the TCL-2, "it's very easy to overdo" is quite an understatement. maybe that's just me, but there is a VERY fine line between "wtf is this even working" and "woah too much pumping!". the "threshold" knob has very low resolution and it's very hard to dial it in just right. i wish it was much bigger and much more precise. it's a nice piece of gear, but if it's that hard to use (for me), i'm not going to bother. to be fair though, my taste in compression differs very much from the average - i usually don't like even the slightest pumping, and strive to use compression in a way that is not really noticeable.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:regarding the TCL-2, "it's very easy to overdo" is quite an understatement. maybe that's just me, but there is a VERY fine line between "wtf is this even working" and "woah too much pumping!". the "threshold" knob has very low resolution and it's very hard to dial it in just right.
That's been my experience as well. It pumps a lot and is in need of some internal side-chain filtering to help control it.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

For anything above 3:1 ratio I wouldn't want to have a full wet signal for this comp. I found that dialing in a 70:30 wet/dry would be a far more manageable effect for the mix bus. Perhaps less depending on taste.

Return to “Effects”